I'm wondering,

The tension of 10 gauge of strings in standard tuning

is equivalent to the tension

of what gauge strings in Dropped C tuning?
I'd say 11s or 12s depending on scale length.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
Id say tens may be to thin for drop C tuning. 11s or 12s will work.

Id say if you switch tunings fairly often then go with the 11s.
Heh.
I use 9s for Drop C tuning. Sounds great.
1979 Gibson Les Paul Silverburst
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100
Quote by Zayrank
Id say tens may be to thin for drop C tuning. 11s or 12s will work.

Id say if you switch tunings fairly often then go with the 11s.

+1

If this guitar is going to stay in drop C...I would go with the 12s. If you're going to be using other tunings with it, 11s may be the best route to go.
Quote by eyebanez333
+1

If this guitar is going to stay in drop C...I would go with the 12s. If you're going to be using other tunings with it, 11s may be the best route to go.

+1
its what i do i play in drop d flat usually occasionally drop C and standard and 11s do the job pretty nicely
i use 10 - 52 for drop C. thin for lead stuff then thick for chug chug stuff
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
I'd use 11s. With 12s I can't bend up more than a whole step, and if I pull up on the trem from there, it hurts alot. (and I think 10s or 11s sound better)
MoOsEkNuCkLe......All my friends yell OI!

Gear:
Jackson Dk2m
Peavey 5150 II
Marshall 1960a
Kramer Focus 1000
Dunlop Crybaby
Hardwire Tuner
Boss NS-2

Red Bear 120 $50/$600
I use 11-54 for D standard and Drop C and they are just like 10s on standard.
i use d'addrio 12's for D std and drop C, occationally drop down to C std but i always re tune before i put it away.
Proud owner of Paul Allander PRS styled - Shamray CS-1985
CS-1985 Pics
Jackson RR24 White with black bevels
i use DR 11 gauge for my drop C guitar, works like a charm

edit: they do have strings made from drop tunning, i can't thing of the name of them at the moment, i think they're ernie ball or DRs, but you could try those.
"It's not about who has the biggest stick, it's about how hard you can swing it"
Last edited by M_16A at Jun 14, 2010,
Quote by M_16A
i use DR 11 gauge for my drop C guitar, works like a charm

edit: they do have strings made from drop tunning, i can't thing of the name of them at the moment, i think they're ernie ball or DRs, but you could try those.

Thanks. So would you say that 11 gauge strings in dropped C tuning have equal tension to 10 gauge strings in standard tuning on the same guitar?
Quote by robertito696
I'd say 11s or 12s depending on scale length.

So what gauge in dropped C would be equvalent to the tension of 10 gauge strings in standard tuning on the same guitar with the same scale length?
I'm in Drop C right now.

10-52s work really well.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE LURKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Right Now i use 11 gauge for drop c and drop b, 11's will work fine for drop c and still have a pretty good tension, i like a more "firm" tension also
Gear
Schecter Hellraiser
Custom Built Les Paul
Ibanez Rg5ex1
line 6 DI-silver
Bugera 6260
line 6 spider ii

To Set The Ocean On fire

Quote by classicrocker01
You know you're addicted to gear when you've had more guitars than girlfriends
Quote by silly hats
I'm in Drop C right now.

10-52s work really well.

Agreed, I've used everything from .009's to .012's but a set of .010 - .052's are my favorite for drop c which is what I normally keep my guitars in
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Okay, there is no need for you to get .13s on a drop C guitar, unless you REALLY like a lot of tension, and if you do, then keep it that way. Do what's comfortable for you. Anyhow, a well set up guitar could handle .9s in drop C and not be very muddy. I use .10 to .52s on my guitars. One's in D standard, and the other is in drop C. I highly recommend that gauge of strings, since it gives you the lighter strings for lead stuff, but the low end strings still remain a good amount of tension. Also, I prefer the tonality of heavy low end strings.
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
I use 12's for drop c.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Iommi used .9s (IIRC) for drop C when he ****ed up his fingers, so that would be extremely low tension.

For a really nice chug, you'd be best off with .12s, that's what I use on my Iceman. I like Jazz Wounds for nicer sounding chords... but some people like using thinner top 3 strings for easier leads.

it's all preference, just try stuff out.