As the title suggests I am new to the whole recording aspect of music. I am really interested in setting up a basement studio and recording guitar/vocals, and possibly making my own beats and such. Could anyone point me in the right direction with products and websites, etc. The only equipment I have right now is a Schecter C-1 Classic, Vox Valvetronix, a windows XP computer, and an old Casio electronic keyboard. Thanks
What do you think of those packages at Musciansfriend.com like

This
Are these worth it or are they just a bunch of crap?
Quote by ColbyHink
Go to a music store, or craigslist, and try to find a USB Mixer. Normally you would get a mixer and an interface, but a USB mixer combines the two. There are less options as far as preamps go, but its great for beginners. So set up your mixer with your laptop, it might come with some audio production software, if not, your going to have to buy your own. Your also going to need a microphone to mic your voice or guitar speaker with. I would suggest a Sure SM57 for guitar and a Sure SM58 for vocals. Both are about 100$ average around where i live.
I hope this helped

+

No, i think that would be a waste of money to be honest. If i were you i would search your local craigslist or ebay every once in a while and do your research and slowly build your setup, getting the best deals possible.

Leads me to think you have no idea what you're talking about. You don't want a USB mixer. The Preamps are terrible, they aren't easy to record with and they are very hard to find used. Buying a USB mixer is a bigger waste of money than buying the package he thought about getting (which is pretty much everything you need to get a good studio started) Do some research before you post blindly on something that has been brought up hundreds of times on this board.

Hendrix, I'd suggest either the MBox Mini you posted or the package Joshua posted. Both come with Pro Tools (The Mbox Mini with Pro Tools LE, the Fast Track with Pro Tools M-Powered, there isn't much difference). The only thing I would suggest getting is either a mic for recording or a good amp sim program. The Valvetronix series are decent and you may be able to get away with micing them but you may be better off buying Pod Farm and using that.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Well, for the basic recording studio:

Interface
Monitors
DAW
Headphones (optional, but I prefer nice ones)
Mics (for you specifically, guitar and vocals, correct?)
A lot of software, depends however

INTERFACE:

I would look for a firewire/USB 2.0 interface, with firewire being IMO the better of the two. If you don't have firewire however, USB 2.0 will be fine as long as you do not record more then four tracks at the same time.

The Tascam US-144/122 or the M-Audio Fast Track series are both good USB 2.0 interfaces IMO that suit your needs. For firewire, the PreSonus FireStudio is a great firewire interface, though some argue that firewire is not needed when you are not recording many inputs at once.

MONITORS:

On a budget, KRK Rokit 5's seem to be the standard.

DAW:

Whatever comes with your interface, or Reaper.

HEADPHONES

I like the Sennheiser HD280's.

MICS:

This is where it gets a little hard. For guitar, I recommend the Shure SM57 or the Sennheiser e609.

For vocals, however, it depends. A screaming vocalist will use something different than a clean vocalist. A lot of metal vocalists like the Shure SM7B, where as most clean vocalists prefer a nice condenser mic.

To be honest though, picking the right mic is all based on trial and error.

SOFTWARE:

For your drums, Steven Slate Drums IMO is optimal if you want good sounding drums for a cheaper price. There is also Addictive Drums, and Superior Drummer. Check them out.

Also, look into some plugins that load into your DAW. If you don't know about plugins, research it.
^Ya I would say that clean vocals is more of what I'm into. Thank you very much for breaking it down for me. Today I got a bit busy and rearranged things in my basement. I set up an old L-shaped desk, installed my computer and tried recording vocals and guitar with my rock band 2 mic through audacity. Pretty excited for upgrading my equipment soon, gotta hit up guitar center.
Quote by hendrixrocker2
I found this deal on Musicians friend
Deal
What do you guys think of that?

Its not good. USB Mixers no matter how good they may seem are never as good as an interface.

Get one of these bundles: http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/M-Audio-Fast-Track-MKII-Studio-Package?sku=485736

They're backordered right now but with good reason. Its a great way to start.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by lockwolf
+

Leads me to think you have no idea what you're talking about. You don't want a USB mixer. The Preamps are terrible, they aren't easy to record with and they are very hard to find used. Buying a USB mixer is a bigger waste of money than buying the package he thought about getting (which is pretty much everything you need to get a good studio started) Do some research before you post blindly on something that has been brought up hundreds of times on this board.

Hendrix, I'd suggest either the MBox Mini you posted or the package Joshua posted. Both come with Pro Tools (The Mbox Mini with Pro Tools LE, the Fast Track with Pro Tools M-Powered, there isn't much difference). The only thing I would suggest getting is either a mic for recording or a good amp sim program. The Valvetronix series are decent and you may be able to get away with micing them but you may be better off buying Pod Farm and using that.

I thought the same thing when I read the USB mixer suggestion.