Okay, so this guitar will mostly be used for folk. Right now I have the following arguments for each

D10S

+ Cheaper
+ Opportunity to add own pickup later
- No Cutaway
- No electrics

D10SCE

+ Cutaway
+ Electrics
- Stuck with the pickup that's built in

I am new to the world of electric acoustic guitars, and haven't had a huge chance to play many of them. I'll be testing both but if I could get an idea of wether

a: the D10SCE will operate differently at all as a straight up acoustic guitar for when I am playing completely unplugged
b: Does anyone have any idea if the two sound at all dissimilar?
c: (minor) The D10S in black is cheaper...why? I could understand it if was more expensive.

Sorry guys, I know you hate these kinds of threads, I just suck at decisionmaking it seems. Thanks.
a: the D10SCE will operate differently at all as a straight up acoustic guitar for when I am playing completely unplugged

No.

b: Does anyone have any idea if the two sound at all dissimilar?

No two guitars (even the exact same brand and model) will sound identical. These two are sure to sound very similar though.

c: (minor) The D10S in black is cheaper...why? I could understand it if was more expensive.

No idea. Perhaps its on special.

All in all, by the standard D10S. Acoustic electric guitars in this price range have poor quality electronics.
painted guitars are cheaper because the maker doesnt need to worry about taking any imperfections out of the wood (example:when you pick up wood at home depot it has all those ugly looking brown spots where the branches used to be......this is not very desirable to see on a guitar ) the knots and stuff would not harm the tone of the guitar........they are just ugly! however if a guitar company (lets use fender as an example) made a line of painted acoustic guitars they would not need to worry about the imperfections so much as if it had been left natural

plus it also enables them to use darker wood than normal i.e. cyprus or even darker

but there is a big upside to a painted acoustic guitar..........it seals the glue that holds the seams a little better. they also give the guitar a more kick ass look

does any of this make sense???