Ok, so I have not used OD pedals very much, but wanted to get a little tighter saturated distortion from my 6262, and hopefully loose some of the megaphone-ish midrange I'm getting with this amp-cab-guitar combo. I really don't have any issues with anything other than my lead tone...so this is JUST in reference to the high gain channel.

I went to my not so local Guitar Center and tried out the following
Ibanez TS-9
BBE Green Screamer
Maxon GT-OD
Some generic OD pedal (at least it was painted green LOL)
Digitech Hardwire OD
Fultone Fulldrive 2

First thing I noticed was MAN some of these things are just plain NOISY!!! I'm not sure if it was just the power supply we used or just dirty power, but some of them were unbearable.

The best tone was the Hardwire...but it was also one of the noisiest.
I WANTED to like the Fultone, but it wasn't all that, and the boost feature was pretty tame...not much of a difference.
The generic one was trash
I figured the TS-9 would be the best, but I was disappointed...it didn't really stand out from the others at all
The MXR was good but not all that either.
The one I walked out the door with was the BBE Greeen Screamer. It seemed to keep the tone of the amp the best (though with a bit of a mid boost) and was comparatively very quiet (at least on the fender amp we were using (No, I wasn't going to fire up a 6505 and turn it up loud enough to get a decent tone out of it...they have a 30 day return policy...I just got the one with the most promise to try at home at length))

I plugged it into my 6262 and started on the crunch channel (NOT why I bought it...but was just curious) and it had a nice bite to it.

On the lead channel even THAT pedal was too noisy for me (I just HATE noise...I know, I need to learn some tolerance) but it DID give me a good idea on what the voicing could do for me.

I'm not sure if that pedal is going back or not.
The Pedal DOES give a bit of a mid boost. I thought the megaphone-ish sound WAS from the mid-range, so I had been dialing that back a bit. But with the pedal, it seemed to go away...I have since bumped my mids from 3-4 up to 7 (without the pedal)and I am liking it.

I DID like the tightness of the front end boost, so I was wondering...As I haven't played around with EQs yet (front end OR loop) Would putting an EQ in the front of the amp, and giving a bit of boost to the settings give me much of the same kind of tightness due to the boost as an OD pedal does with the gain at zero, and the level turned up?
I am THINKING, a bigger bump to the mids, and a little more to the bass if it needs it (none of the pedals had the same low end chug) but give the rest a slight boost to get a relatively clean...but contoured boost.

I'll ASSUME an EQ pedal is MUCH quieter than the OD pedals (again, the noise is MAINLY an issue on the lead channel...everywhere else it is quite tolerable).

I am a pretty bare bones guy. My set-up up to this point has been just the amp, with a gate and a tuner (no huge pedal boards here), so bare with the noobish questions/comments. just looking for that last .1% of my tone.

comments/suggestions?

Thanx!
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
Couldn't you just set your noise gate's threshold a little higher to get rid of the noise?
Call me Brent
Quote by m33sta.

People would leave guitars for me in a box on the doorstep with a note "Please look after little Johnie, we just cant cope anymore, all he wants to do is hook up with Marshalls, We thought he would be a fender boy.

Quote by Guitar-KID125
Couldn't you just set your noise gate's threshold a little higher to get rid of the noise?

+1
The bugera's noise gate isn't REALLY that much of a noise gate.

That being said you could buy a solid noise suppressor to really get rid of all that noise. That is if you REALLY liked the tone benefits of the Hardwire OD enough to do that. Boss NS-2 or iSP Decimator

EQ's infront of the amp have a very very subtle effect. They belong in the loop. Also they're quite quiet as long as you get something quality (MXR 10-band for eg.) Haven't tried an EQ so can't say how it'd help with tightening.
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
i actually find that my amp is quieter when using a boost because it allows me to back off the pre. what do you have your pre gain set at when boosting?
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
well for one, the 6262 doesnt have a noise gate on it BUT the ISP in the loop will work wonders with pedal noise. In case you are wondering a little about OD pedals, I use a DOD OD-250 modded with the mojo mod from Analogman and love it. As a boost or to change my tone some, I use a MIJ Boss EQ and it works excellent. I also dont have a huge pedalboard but there are a few things I constantly use an a good OD is one of them.
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
Quote by denied
^ISP in the loop is more for amp hum. You would want to put the gate somewhere after the offending pedal, so for an OD it would probably go in front of the amp.

well I'm just telling you what works for me. Having in the loop greatly helps quiet the noise of an OD pedal. In my experience, the Decimator works much better in the loop for pedals and amp noise.

But then again, I dont have to deal with a whole lot of noise anyway
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
Last edited by madh4ttr at Jun 14, 2010,
The thing with putting a gate in after the effect, means that with the effect off your now running the gate higher than you need to for your unboosted signal. (think finger style acoustic) so I would want to turn the gate pedal off at the same time. And I don't want to start tap dancing...that's why I wanted to keep a minimalist rig.

I'll try it again with my gain turned down to see if thats better. I do have a gate in the loop, but it doesn't stop all of the noise when playing some quicker palm muted staccato stuff....at least not with it set low enough that when I switch to a clean sound it isn't killing that signal too quickly.

So an EQ BEFORE the amp doesn't have much of an effect? Even ones with a master volume/gain (MXR 10 band)
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
Eq before the amp works just fine. Its more noticeable in the loop however. That dosen't mean its useless in front.

If your know what your at, an eq pedal in front of the amp is far better for a boost than an overdrive. You can have a transparent boost if you like or, lower some bass and increase mids etc. Each band controls a different frequency so its not like your amps mid knob where it only controls one frequency which on my XXX I don't like the frequency it controls so I usually use my eq to boost the mid frequencies.

Also using an eq makes my amp quieter because I only have the pregain on like 2-3 and the level on the pedal is at like +10 db usually.

Soo.. imo, if your know how to use an eq pedal, they can do everything an od can do for boosting + more.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Awesome! Thanx! I think that's gonna be my next step.