hi
i am looking for an amp to buy
at the moment i have got a lousy 15 w practice amp and i want to get a good 75-100w amp
at the moment the only 1 i have found is this marshall MG100DFX Combo amp
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Marshall-MG-100DFX-Combo-Amp_W0QQitemZ280520267588QQcategoryZ10171QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286.m7QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D3%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D7831121113839788994
if anyone would have any suggestions i would be grateful
my price range is around 150-200£
thanks
genres? and first off, do NOT buy that amp
My meh gear:
ESP LTD MH-400NT
Peavey Raptor Plus EXP
Digitech RP90
Digitech Bad Monkey
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi (WTS)
Crate GT15 (SHIT)

GAS:
Peavey 6505 112 combo
MXR 10-band EQ
Ibanez TS-9
Boss HR-2
Compressor (open to suggestions)
Don't do it!!!

All Marshall MGs are poor excuses for Marshalls--even the 100w MG heads.

You're better off with a 5 watt VOX DA5 even than any MG model.

Depending on what music you play, I'd recommend a VOX VT model or a Peavey Valve King.

My first amp ever was an MG 30DFX; it sounds muddy as hell, as do all the MGs. Biggest waste of money EVER.

Since then I picked up a Vox DA5 for traveling and it sounds 100x better, and in the 5 watt mode it gets louder than the MG without sounding like crap.

And since then I picked up a used Marshall JVM 410H (100w) and a 1960a half-stack 4x12 cab. Haven't brought that on stage yet, but at home, the lowest volume it will do before cutting out completely is about 90 decibels. Haven't had it up over 2 yet. It's not likely you'll need a proper 100w amp, and a good one will be about 10 - 20 times your price range.

Compared to the MG, the DA5 sounds about 90% as good as the JVM 410. I almost always use the DA5 now, even though it sits next to the half stack. Just usually not worth waiting around for the tubes to warm up or what they'll cost to replace some day (about your whole amp budget).
If you bought that Mg, you're upgrading to something possibly worse than you have already.

Buy a tube amp.

Or if you're really strapped for cash, buy a modeling amp...but not a line 6 amp. They are SO bad.

Peavey Vypyrs or Roland Cubes are always good options in your price range.
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Agile AL-3100 Silverburst
Quote by joe.m
rock metal
and why? whats wrong with it?

It sounds like crap.

What amp do you have at the moment?

200 quid isn't going to get you much. Save up another 50 or so and you can get a used Line6 Flextone off ebay, which is a remarkably good metal and rock amp for what it costs.

Oh, and you don't need a lot of wattage to sound good. When you have a strict budget, it's better to get a small amp that sounds good than a big one that sounds bad.

Quote by Ayses

Or if you're really strapped for cash, buy a modeling amp...but not a line 6 amp. They are SO bad.

Peavey Vypyrs or Roland Cubes are always good options in your price range.

Line6 Flextone > Vypyr/Cube
Last edited by TheQuailman at Jun 14, 2010,
ok
but a 5w amp isn't really going to be useful on stage when you are playing right?
surely it wouldn't be louder than the drums
even my 15 watt amp barely gets to the right volume you can just about hear it over the drums
which is why i am looking for a good amp to play on stage with
Also you probably don't need/want a 75-100w amp. Wattage does not = quality of sound, it = loudness. Unless you're playing in front of 200-300+ people, you do not need that big of an amp.

A 25-60 watt amp will be too loud to turn up past half volume in your house. A 75-100w amp is just silly.

If you're looking to play on stage or with a band, most 30 watt amps are loud enough. Usually on stage you just mic your amp through the PA system anyway, so it doesn't matter what wattage it is.
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Last edited by Ayses at Jun 14, 2010,
Another note...we can't really recommend an amp without knowing what kind of music you play and what guitar you use.
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
well has any one got any suggestions that is in my price range?
and my 15w amp is by a company called ibiza sound
i have also got a squier 15 but the sound is extremly bad
Research into this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b851Vk8li40

Aside from a few people I've met who are elitists, the general consensus is that the Vypyr series is a VERY good, if not the best starter and practice amp. It sounds really great and is in your price range. It uses technology to accurately emulate tubes without using tubes.

It has 24 amp models and tons of effects. Most of the amps it models are over $1000, and sound very close to the original.
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Last edited by Ayses at Jun 14, 2010,
Yeah, Vyper is better for metal. Also Vox makes a metal-oriented model on some of their VT line--grey tolex & black grill (instead of black tolex/chrome grill).

The Rolands don't have tubes at all. Typically their speakers are a little smaller than the competition's for the same price; less bass response.

Vox tends to dominate in this lower price range, although their controls are a little counterintuitive.

By the way, I got one of those Squier 15 watts, too, that a friend gave me. The controls are a little scratchy, but otherwise it's a better amp than the MG, too.

Squier guitars can be great, with the proper setup. Although I just broke 2 of the tuning pegs on mine. That's OK; I like my new locking Schaller tuners much better. Took some drilling since the new pegs have 2 pins instead of 1. Worth it big time. Now it plays 100% as good as my MIA Strat and stays in tune better.

Good luck!
ok well i will look into it then
but anymore suggestions would be helpful
thanks
Next thing you'll want to do after getting a decent amp is change out the pickups on your guitar. You really need humbuckers for a lot of metal--especially anything needing that "chugging" sound. At least get an HSS pickguard and install a decent humbucking bridge pup. And while you're in there, might as well install better pots and output jack. And might as well install copper tape in the pup cavities and the control cavity.
Last edited by jetwash69 at Jun 15, 2010,
BTW, you'll probably need a custom pick-guard cut for you; only the "Standard" series Squiers accept regular Fender Strat pick-guards.