I'd like to know which of the two mentioned pups (SH-5 Custom or SH-6 Distortion) would sound better for 80s and early 90s death and thrash metal.

I mean music/bands like: 80s Metallica, Anthrax, Slayer, Megadeth up to Rust in Piece, Annihilator, Overkill, Heathen, Exhorder, Xentrix, Evildead, Sacred Reich, Sodom, Destruction, Kreator, Morbid Angel, Possessed, Deicide, Death, Testament, Cynic, Atheist, Pestience, Artillery, Evile (I know they are a newer band), Coroner, Sadus, Onslaught, Dark Angel, Death Angel, Obituary, Entomed, Dismember, Voivod, Hellhammer, Nuclear Assault, Flotsam & Jetsam, Forbidden, Vio-lence, Exodus, SOD, Sanctuary, and Iced Earth

The pup will be installed into a Gibson Flying V (Mahogany with an ebony fretboard) with a Seymour Duncan SH-1 '59 Jazz in the neck. And it will run through a Peavey JSX, ADA MP-1, and a Carvin V3.
I'd rather have the 6 for those bands and styles. The 5 is more of a bigger and fatter sounding PAF kind of thing and therefore nice for heavy rock and sludge tones, but it's not really voiced for death metal or thrash.
Garry Holt of Exodus plays the SH-5 in his Bernie Rico Vs and he gets some serious thrash tone with them. The Sh-5 IS voiced like a hot Paf but the ceramic magnet and the output level make it a very good high gain metalpickup - just with a little oldschool edge.

Both pickups work for your styles; the sh-6 has more mids and more output which makes it a bit muddier than the sh-5 has a very flat eq-curve and a bit less output.
SD's claim that the Custom is anything close to a "beefed up [PAF] tone" is laughable, it's got nothing in common with PAF pickups at all. It has a considerably compressed and balanced tone. The Distortion on the other hand, being a JB with the Alnico V magnet swapped for a ceramic magnet, has a noticably brighter tone with slightly less compression and a slightly muddier low-end; if anything, the Distortion is the closest of the two to PAF tones.
So of those two, I would go for the Custom. The low-end is tighter and it doesn't have the massive upper-mid spike that the Distortion has.

That said, I really wouldn't pick either for death metal and I struggle to see either being much good for thrash either. Depending on your exact playing style, an Alternative 8 or an Invader would work better, although the DiMarzio D-Activator series or Super 3 would be my actual picks. You might want to also check out Rock Monkey pickups and their range of neodymium-based pickups.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
But from what I've read/been told, the newer invaders suck, so the only invader pups I would get, would be the older 80s version.

Is there some place where I can look at an EQ curve or Bass/Middle/Treble rating for seymour duncan pickups and other tech info like what dimarzio has on their site?
Also would the Custom Custom and the Custom 5 work? How would a set of Full Shred sound?
Custom Custom and Custom 5 are both really balanced though it's not for stuff you play.

The Full Shred has muddy lows and weak highs.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
I find this thread quite interesting, since I would be looking for the same type of pickups.

Keep the feedback coming people, there is more than one person interested.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Quote by SCopeland24
How about the Crazy 8 and El Diablo pickups?

Both of those pups have muddy lows and shrill highs. I recommend the Alternative 8 or if
you want to go active the AHB-1 blackouts/AHB-2 Blackouts Metal.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!