Hey UG,

I've had this issue for a while, but it is starting to get annoying while at band practice... My guitar is currently in drop b, with 12-56 gauge strings and I've had the truss rod adjusted to compensate for the tension or what not by a guitar tech.

But I'm only have an issue with the g string, as so it slips out of tune, even with my locking tuners locked down properly. I'm not sure how/why it happens, but it seems to flatten itself in just under 30 minutes of playing.

Extra info:

-I change my strings once every 3-4 weeks, so I'm doubting it is because of old strings?
-I have locking tuners.

Thanks in advance.
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
MIRACLES

srlsy i don't know how that could happen
Gear:
Boss MD-2
Fake Gibson Les Paul
Washburn BD12R
Kawasaki Acoustic

Quote by Lots O' FX
digoutyerarse: none dig deeper

I"M SO RANDUMZ LOL
id say maybe the string is stretching but it wouldnt be that noticable usually. if the locking tuners arent to blame, look at the bridge or the nut.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
maybe your locking nut is too worn
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
I've tried changing the locking "things?" around, but it always falls back to the g string falling out of tune.
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
Quote by Tinderwet
Have you stretched the strings properly after putting them on?

Yes, like I've said many times, no matter how many times I restring or what not, it always manages to fall out of tune.
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
Sounds to me like it's binding in the nut or the bridge saddles, so check there for anything the string might be getting caught on.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
Sounds to me like it's binding in the nut or the bridge saddles, so check there for anything the string might be getting caught on.

Nope, nothing in the way what so ever, it's starting to really get to me, I can only barely finish a song before having to tune back up.
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
you're guitar is always in drop b and it's been set up to play in drop b?

That's not the right string set for a guitar that's always in drop B.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by AcousticMirror
you're guitar is always in drop b and it's been set up to play in drop b?

That's not the right string set for a guitar that's always in drop B.

12-56? The tension is fine in my honest opinion. Not slinky at all? Yes, it has been set up for Drop B, and it's pretty much within Drop C/B/Bb, although I keep it in B 95% of the time and only rarely go up or down (which I haven't done with this new set of strings).
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
what type of bridge?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
what type of bridge?

String through.

Quote by AcousticMirror
you need a thicker bottom string though. also check your tuners.

Where I live, 12-56 from Ernie Ball is the absolute thickest I've seen being supplied in the guitar stores I've been to (7-8).

How would one go about testing tuners though?
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
Quote by Mopy
String through.

Where I live, 12-56 from Ernie Ball is the absolute thickest I've seen being supplied in the guitar stores I've been to (7-8).

string thru TOM, trem...

it matters if you've got a moving bridge.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by jj1565
string thru TOM, trem...

it matters if you've got a moving bridge.

No, it's a string through the body, think Les Paul, minus the rear string part, and the strings going through the body. I'm fairly sure that's a TOM? Although I'm not completely certain of the name. And no, the bridge is fixed. No moving parts what so ever.
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
ok yeah TOM.

ok so, when you have a locking tuner and a fixed bridge, and one string is falling out,

then you need to either look at the string (defective), the nut cut (perhaps the string is getting snagged),
or that the locking tuner isn't working properly.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by Mopy
String through.

ya that's about the most they carry. they sometimes have a thirteen. I just get my strings from my local shop or the internet now.
you probably want a 60 or 65 if your gonna drop to b.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
I've heared it has to do with the G string not being wound, or something like that, comon problem
My gear:

Ibanez S5470-TKS with a BKP Nailbomb Bridge, Cold Sweat Neck, Trillogy Suite Middle single coil
Ibanez RGR321EX
Roland Cube 60
M-Audio Fast Track Pro
Guitar Rig 5
Yeah, my g-string detunes whenever I finger A minor. Sounds like a poorly cut nut / shitty tuner combo.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Try out Ernie Ball Not Even Slinky's. I used to use them when i tuned to b and i loved them. If i remember correctly they are 13-57 or 58.

Get new locks for your nut too. A warn locking nut sounds like the cuulprit here. They're cheap little things, so buy them and try... if its wrong you only spent a couple bucks.
Quote by magnus_maximus
You're whackin' one off in the toilet and you jizz on the counter?

I hope you never get a driving license.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
Dude mangoes are so good. Imagine a blowjob, but instead of the feeling being on your dick, it's on your mouth.
Yeah, my g-string detunes whenever I finger A minor. Sounds like a poorly cut nut / shitty tuner combo.

I don't think you should be doing that.

TS: Try D'Addario 12s with a wound 3rd. It's a little wierd to get used to, but it might help.
MoOsEkNuCkLe......All my friends yell OI!

Gear:
Jackson Dk2m
Peavey 5150 II
Marshall 1960a
Kramer Focus 1000
Dunlop Crybaby
Hardwire Tuner
Boss NS-2

Red Bear 120 $50/$600
Quote by JHC_DOH
I don't think you should be doing that.

TS: Try D'Addario 12s with a wound 3rd. It's a little wierd to get used to, but it might help.

To be completely honest, I don't think I'm looking for a wound 3rd string.
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3