So there's a part in a song that I'm trying to learn (this song at around 1:40) that goes like this

e------------------------------
B------------------------------
G------------------------------
D0-00-00-0-12t7t8t14t7t8t15t7t8
A0-00-00-0---------------------
E0-00-00-0---------------------

I'm trying to mute the bottom two strings (E,A), but the transition is very fast, so I'm trying to sort of mute them with my forearm as I move my picking hand to the 12th fret. I'm wondering if there's an easier way to mute them. I tried with my fretting hand laying over the E and A while fretting the 7th on the D, but since I have to fret it (ie:push hard) it comes off like a hammer on on all 3 strings.

Any help?
you can mute with ur index finger on ur left hand, when u go to plant ur 2nd finger on the 7th fret. hand the right hand tap on the 12th will give u time to do that.

But muting with ur forearm is a bit strange. Try muting with ur palm on ur right hand instead.

Also with those open strings, you can mute them near the 7th with ur left hand, so u don't have to move as much.

This isn't that difficult once u get the hang of it. Try watching them do it live on youtube... or watch some covers.

Toodles!
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- late 70's vintage Fender Stratocaster (USA)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
- Visual Sound Volume Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
I would go with what julzius said.

So you would bring your fretting hand up, mute E and A strings above the 6th fret with your indexfinger, and use your middle finger on the 7th fret D string and ring finger on the 8th fret D string?