Okay so I'm playing my Epiphone G400 with its stock pickups through my XXX head, and when I turn the volume (master) past 9 (oclock) / the gain past noon my chords seem to get really muddy.? I believe they use Alnico 2 magnets ( I'm not for sure?) and although I'm sure the pickups are by no means good this amount of mud is semi-ridiculous.

On another note I'm playing through speakers that are not quite broken in yet. Could this be the reason also?

If you think the pickups are to blame I'm looking for some recommendations for a cheap pickup swap. They don't need to be TOP quality or boutique by any means. (im saving my BKP for my superstrat build ) Just need to clear out the mud.. I'm looking for an 80's(ish) metal to hard rock sound. I'll need both bridge and neck (duhh) . Suggestions?
Last edited by bj_squeelie at Jun 14, 2010,
Epi's Pups are trash.

SD's are cheap since you play 80's style metal I recommend the JB, Distortion, Custom custom for the Bridge and for the neck '59, Jazz.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
yeah replace the pickups... but sometimes you have to compensate for loud volumes with amps.

I know with my VOX, the louder i go on the clean channel, it starts to put out an awful amount of bass, but once i put my bass on ZERO, it turned out to be a very nice clean tone.

So try EQing ur amp at a loud volume and see if that helps. If not... new pickup time.
Also try getting rid of any tone sucking pedals you may have.

Toodles!
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- late 70's vintage Fender Stratocaster (USA)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
- Visual Sound Volume Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
XXXs are not muddy, so that's not the problem. Unless you have the gain dimed on the lead channel, chord definition shouldn't be an issue.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Thanks for the input guys.. I'll pry look at getting some pickups then. Yea the only pedals I have in front of it right now are a TS-9 and a dunlop crybaby wah that is true bypass modded so that isn't the problem.
if your in the use grab a pair of bg bgbuckers for mid gain
smokestack/hellabucker for high gain.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
check out irongear pickups. they're only 25 pounds per pickup but is just as good as seymour ducans and dimarzios. I recommend a rolling mill in the neck for cleans and a hot slag or hammerhead/steamhammer in the bridge. even if u live in the us, the shipping will be cheap.

http://www.irongear.co.uk/
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Quote by holycow
check out irongear pickups. they're only 25 pounds per pickup but is just as good as seymour ducans and dimarzios. I recommend a rolling mill in the neck for cleans and a hot slag or hammerhead/steamhammer in the bridge. even if u live in the us, the shipping will be cheap.

http://www.irongear.co.uk/

Wow those seem pretty legit. How have I not heard of them before!?!? Cheap as hell.. even from the UK it would cost me $80 fora set. I'm definitely looking into these further.

*Edit* Can anyone tell me if I put a bridge pickup in the neck position.. but flip it around so the hotter poles are closer to the neck.. would that work like a neck pickup? hah weird question but those irongear rolling mills have an overwound bridge version and i was thinking of putting it in the neck.
Last edited by bj_squeelie at Jun 14, 2010,
i think it will work. though email them to be sure.
or u can put a hot slag in the neck. slightly more hotter than the overwound rolling mill.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Also, moar midz.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Heres another possible source of error, the cab. Some cabs shit out mud when cranked.
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Peavey 5150II All Tube 120w Head
Avatar contemporary 2x12 (Celestion v30's)
Peavey Vypyr 15w (Fantastic Practice Amp!!!)

Got Djent?