how would you play this?
-----------
----10----
-----------
----7-----
-----------
-----------

would you just mute the g string or what? and also whats it called when you do this?
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
Epiphone Valve Junior combo
you just mute the g String.
but what do you mean what is it called when you do it?

well what you play there are octaves but if you mean the muting: There is no special name for that.
to also get a cleaner sound, i like to pluck them. And to get a smoother softer tone, tuck away my pick and use only fingers.

After playing tender surrender religeously, u start to get pretty good at these

Toodles!
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- late 70's vintage Fender Stratocaster (USA)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
- Visual Sound Volume Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
when i see that i usually pick the lower note with my pick and the higher note (the octave) with my rude finger. at least depending on the speed i have to play these notes at.
Ibanez RGT6EXFX -> Ibanez TS9 -> Korg Pitchblack -> Peavey 5150 II head -> Mesa Rectifier 2x12 cab
alright thanks, that was triping me up lol and i wasn't talking about the muting
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
Epiphone Valve Junior combo
Quote by grungebaby
how would you play this?
-----------
----10----
-----------
----7-----
-----------
-----------

would you just mute the g string or what? and also whats it called when you do this?

I'd put the index finger on the 7th fret and the pinky on the 10th fret, using the pad of my index finger to mute the string in between and then just strum the B, G and D strings. You could finger pick it, but if the rest of the song isn't finger picked then chances are that that isn't either.
Those notes would form an octave.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
Quote by .Wretch.
These are simply power chords with a muted string, no?

No a power chord is the root and 5th with an optional octave. This is just an octave diad or double stop.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
i usually mute the G-string with my index finger, at the same time you hold at that 7. works very good, and i really love the tone of octaves^^