Page 1 of 2
This Summer i want to get a job so i have extra cash to buy a new guitar and other things. The only problem is im 17, and live in Southern California. Therefore, 95% of unskilled labor is done by immigrants. I have no real job skills. The economy is tight, so working in big chains like Target, K-Mart, fast, ect. is near impossible. What other jobs are there for someone like me? I thought about offering to play and sing at Birthday parties, but that seems sucky, and i wouldnt make much money. I would like to provide some sort of service for people. If i can, i would rather not work in retail cause i only have medicore "people" skills.

Please no joke posts, im looking in my newspaper and craigslist every day.

Thanks in advance for any of your ideas.
Being underage and asking the pit for ideas for a job is a bad idea.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Quote by toothless tim
What other jobs are there for someone like me?
Blow.
Quote by Riffofthebeast
hitler could have conquered the entire world if he just sent an assasin to every enemy country and have their leader assasinated
YOU need a job? I need a job!
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. Supplied amazing music to both me and my mother.

He will be missed.
hmmm....... i like guitar lessons

I actually used to give lessons to 3 of my friends for $5 a lesson

What do u guys think is a good way to promote myself as a teacher, and what cost....

I think $10 is fair, cause im only 17, but i know ALOT about guitar theory, I'd probably only be teaching kids and peers anyways.
Quote by toothless tim
i already said NO fast food, i checked 4 close ones, no openings....

4?!

Seriously, that's what getting a job is, you asked more than 4 places, you ask everywhere if you want to work. You're 17, shouldn't be that hard, you're coverable by insurance now. Like you said though, immigrants do a lot of the skill-less labor there. So develop a skill, or find a way to get an immigrant's job. You're making it harder than it is. Have you taken a lawn mower around and asked for ten bucks to cut people's grass? That should be easy, I did it when I was 12.
I worked at a callcenter. You could try that.

It's shit though.. time goes by so slowly
Steam ID
XFire profile

Quote by Delboyuk_01
I don't think you can go wrong with a Black guitar, white ones are almost as good but black ones are better, white ones just don't sound quite as good.
Quote by larrytheguitar
YOU need a job? I need a job!

YOU need a job!!?!?!?!?!?!1!!?!one!?!?. I NEED a job!!!!!!!

I win cause I have moar punctuation. Hire me please.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by toothless tim
i already said NO fast food, i checked 4 close ones, no openings....

oh no, you checked FOUR WHOLE FAST FOOD CHAINS!!

dude, just check EVERYWHERE, look online and be willing to do anything.
it's all you can do.
Get an "immigrants" job then.
If you're willing to work for the same amount as pay, then the employer should be happy to have you.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

i look like Johnny Winter..... Mexicans make fun of me

A guy at my church offered me a construction job of cleaning up the site, but everyone that worked there was like 40 years old and scary. And it was in a bad part of town.

I found a Telemarketing job on craigslist... I emailed them
Quote by toothless tim

A guy at my church offered me a construction job of cleaning up the site, but everyone that worked there was like 40 years old and scary. And it was in a bad part of town.

..Your point?
Do you want to work?
THEN DO IT!
Don't give a shit about other people there, they don't have the right or authoirty to do anything to you, as as for being in a bad part of town just keep to yourself and stay out of the way. Excuses man.
i dont know enough Spanish to get by in a Spanish working environment. Thats why im looking for an "individual" job if that makes sense. I found some painting jobs on Craigslist, but those are just small 1 time things.
Quote by toothless tim

So you're looking for a job and yet you're turning them down....
Quote by toothless tim

Man up.
If you really want a job, then you'll take what you can. the experience will be good, you could make some useful contacts.
If I had that opportunity when I was 17 then I would've taken it. Never mind the fact I'd probably be the only female on site.
Quote by Renka

Well, if korn is from your city then it must be real bad. :p
Steam ID
XFire profile

Quote by Delboyuk_01
I don't think you can go wrong with a Black guitar, white ones are almost as good but black ones are better, white ones just don't sound quite as good.
Quote by toothless tim
Therefore, 95% of unskilled labor is done by immigrants.

Dey took der jobs!
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Buck Owens is from here too, so that makes up for the mistake of Korn.

And yes, they took our jibs.
Quote by toothless tim
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxG--QrKMAw

this is my city, Korn is from here, they made a new video about our town.

some parts of town are REALLY bad, so im not plannig on taking any of those jobs.

Sounds like you don't really want a job then.
Chances are, nobody will bother you anyway. If you start looking for trouble then you're going to find it. Try being a female in a rough area.
Quote by Renka

Quote by toothless tim
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxG--QrKMAw

this is my city, Korn is from here, they made a new video about our town.

some parts of town are REALLY bad, so im not plannig on taking any of those jobs.

OMGZ Korn is from there!!!! I retract my former statement...

You can't ask for help getting a job when you've turned jobs down. I wish I was in the position to be able to reject jobs.
Movie theaters mother fucker, have you heard of them?
Quote by Tyler Durden
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid
Quote by toothless tim
no

Stop complaining and man up then. Working on a construction site will do you good. Build up some strength.
Quote by Renka

would u work in a bad part of town with a bunch of 40 year old, tattooed up, construction workers that are twice as big as you???? Think of it from my perspective, im 17.
Quote by toothless tim
would u work in a bad part of town with a bunch of 40 year old, tattooed up, construction workers that are twice as big as you???? Think of it from my perspective, im 17.

I'm 17, and yes, yes I would.
arrg quit bugging me Oddonrout

btw, i like the movie theater idea. There are 2 in town that i can drive to. Im gonna check at them tomorrow.
Quote by toothless tim

For someone without real job skills and mediocre people skills you sure are picky.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
jeez, i can be as picky as i want, im 17 and looking for easy money,

its not like i need the money, so there's no reason for me to compromise.

Btw, i checked online, and there are openings at the movie theaters cause Summer is a big time for them, PERFECT. Dunno what i would be doing, but at least there is AC. It gets to be 110 degrees sometimes, that's another reason i wouldn't wanna work outside.
Quote by Mad Marius
For someone without real job skills and mediocre people skills you sure are picky.

+100

I worked in a night club carrying around 100 pounds kegs of beer and crates up and down stairs for 9 hours every friday weekend, it sucked, but if you "need" a job (which you don't, being only 17), you're willing to do anything.

Quote by toothless tim
jeez, i can be as picky as i want, im 17 and looking for easy money,

its not like i need the money, so there's no reason for me to compromise.

Btw, i checked online, and there are openings at the movie theaters cause Summer is a big time for them, PERFECT. Dunno what i would be doing, but at least there is AC. It gets to be 110 degrees sometimes, that's another reason i wouldn't wanna work outside.

*sigh*

someday you'll learn there is no such thing as "easy money", but it looks like it's gonna take a while for you.
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Jun 14, 2010,
Quote by toothless tim

Yes and I'm a girl.
I was seriously considering construction work during the summer when I was 16. Agencies wouldn't take me on until I was 18 however, by then it was too late.
Quote by Renka

Page 1 of 2