I own an AKG Perception 200, and these things run about $200 right? But i've never been happy with the sound I get from it. Do you think it's cause I'm running it through Guitarport? or using Acoustica Mixcraft? I've got a Presonus TubePre preamp...but i'm getting a bit frustrated and i'm wondering if it would actually be worth my while to check out an SM57 or SM58, even though they're like half the price...

any ideas?
My username is old, don't judge me (but old 311 is good)
I love my SM58, I've never had any reason to not like it. Having said that, i've never had anything else, but even so. You may want to give one a try at a music store?
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
While SM57s and 58s do work as vocal mics, especially for heavier metal and hard rock, they aren't going to give you the nice smooth upper mids and high end that condensers tend to favor.

From what I can tell the MSRP of that mic about 400 dollars. And had fairly good reviews.

How is guitarport involved?

If you're running Microphone > TubePre > guitarport > usb/firewire > computer, it could be that the analog to digital converters on the guitarport suck.

If you can, post a clip and I should be able to tell whether or not that is the sound it should get, because I have used a number LDCs in that price range. Because as much as I love my SM57, the chances that its going to sound better than a 400 dollar condenser on vocals is slim, especially when the sounds from the condenser aren't that great.
Last edited by Rakoro at Jun 14, 2010,
I'd look into a new DAW. Mixcraft isn't that good of a DAW imo.

Its also probably because you are running it through the guitarport. The preamps on those are built mainly to handle guitars.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
I would look into getting an external soundcard such as a Tascam us-144 or similar instead of using the guitarport for the microphone. Also a better DAW would definitely help, maybe check out Cubase/ProTools if you have the money, if not then try out REAPER.
I was just reading the editorial in the latest Sound on Sound magazine, it mentioned that the acoustic treatment of the room you're recording in is really important to the sound quality you record. What kind of room are you recording in? Why aren't you happy with the quality of the recording? Are you using a pop filter?