This is my first experience recording with an actual mixer as opposed to this digital stuff here at home. This is the first time I've recorded anything with a band, let alone, my band, so I was pretty excited. I know its kinda rough, but we were pressed on time, my drummers brother has a new born baby, and they were getting ready to put it asleep so yeah. Anyway, if you's have any suggestions on what I should turn up, turn down, over dub, pan, eq or any suggestions on equipment to use, cause we have some really cheap mics, at least for the drums, we could use better miking up our amps too. And I can assure you, the playing can be a hundred times better but we were rushed to a point where I was getting pissed off, I'm sure you know how that goes. Aside from the sloppy playing though, this is pretty much how we play it live, there's only three of us. So please, any suggestions, crits, and I'll crit anything you guys want me to.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/societies_worm/music/

Don't mind the singing...that can be better too...it will be

sorry for all the pops.
anybody wanna put anything here just let me know
Last edited by societies_worm at Jun 14, 2010,
I'm very impressed actually, the instruments all sound good, good mixing et cetera. The singing needs a little more, power, for lack of a better word. All in all, it was very good cover!!
Not bad man... The vocals need to be recorded separately IMO... That usually has much better results... especially so the singer has a better sense of the notes he's hitting... But a good job overall.
not too much of a pro in mixing myself, but I'll try to give some impressions

Voice, in my opinion, lacked some presence ("Power" ;D). Can you edit each channel on its own or is it one signal coming in for all of the instruments? If it's possible editing each channel on its own, I'd try to either use just a weeee little bit of reverb (if its not on already?) or some kinda slight effect, dunno which program you're using for recording but I guess theres always something to improve it just a tiny bit. (Probably even a little EQ-shelving would help, tho this quite often ends up sounding.. bad. at least if i try to do it. :< )

I'd give the soloing guitar in the end just a bit more treble, but that might be me. The tone as it is right now is nice anyways.

Well theres not too much to say, of course drums dont sound too good because of the mics but hell, still damn good recording (and band)! I'll listen to some more stuff

Crit if you want to: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1324260
Quote by Dhomas
not too much of a pro in mixing myself, but I'll try to give some impressions

Voice, in my opinion, lacked some presence ("Power" ;D). Can you edit each channel on its own or is it one signal coming in for all of the instruments? If it's possible editing each channel on its own, I'd try to either use just a weeee little bit of reverb (if its not on already?) or some kinda slight effect, dunno which program you're using for recording but I guess theres always something to improve it just a tiny bit. (Probably even a little EQ-shelving would help, tho this quite often ends up sounding.. bad. at least if i try to do it. :< )

I'd give the soloing guitar in the end just a bit more treble, but that might be me. The tone as it is right now is nice anyways.

Well theres not too much to say, of course drums dont sound too good because of the mics but hell, still damn good recording (and band)! I'll listen to some more stuff

Crit if you want to: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1324260

Thanks. We are using a tascam 2488neo, which is damn awesome, but I'm still figuring out how to use it, and yes everything recorded was assigned its own channel. I think the mic we use to record vocals might also be a concern, we use shure beta 58a's for the vocals and for miking up the amps. And we have a pretty decent condenser mic, you think we should use that instead?
anybody wanna put anything here just let me know