Hey,

So the other day my band played two songs for a band to fill their interval. We all used their amps/drums, as there was no point setting up our own stuff, but I used my own pedals.

So anyway, I played through a Marshall TSL 60 I believe, although it was some kind of vintage reissue or something. I only used the clean channel and for the distortion I used my EHX Big Muff Pi.

I thought it sounded pretty killer, and I got a lot of compliments for other guys in the place.

So what suggestions are there for a loud clean gigging amp, with a lot of headroom. I've got a budget of £900, but can stretch to £1000 probably. The TSL 60 is an option, but probably have to be used.
I would not call the TSL a clean amp by any means. It has a decent clean channel but... not really. Fender Deluxe Reverb? Not sure on the conversion of prices. Fender twin?
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Artemis Entreri
I would not call the TSL a clean amp by any means. It has a decent clean channel but... not really. Fender Deluxe Reverb? Not sure on the conversion of prices. Fender twin?

Yeah, I suppose. It was just a nice sound, it was the head and cab version also, just to mention.

The Fender Twin is just over £1000, which isn't bad, but I'd like to keep to costs down.

Fender Delux Reverb (The 65) is a lot cheaper, about £880.

How do they both take distortion pedals?
Maybe have a look at a Roland Jazz Chorus?
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
The Deluxe RI takes pedals really well. Especially when it is already cranked a wee bit. Still clean but slightly crunchy.

I wouldn't recommend the twin anyway unless you were planning on playing clean, unmiked with a crazy drummer in a large venue. And then you would have other problems.

Quote by GNR4EVER
Maybe have a look at a Roland Jazz Chorus?

Doesn't take pedals well. Great clean sound no doubt. But (in my opinion) terrible distortion sound.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Artemis Entreri

Doesn't take pedals well. Great clean sound no doubt. But (in my opinion) terrible distortion sound.

Isn't he going to use a pedal for distortion though?

Anyway...besides the twin..

some others that haven't been mentioned: Vox AC30 and Peavey Classic 30/50 both have great cleans, and take pedals very well.
Yeah, it's a pretty loud 22 watts. You might not get a perfectly, crystal clean sound in a medium venue with a drummer but it will be there. The modern ones aren't as...powerful? as the vintage ones or something so I've been told but I've never had the opportunity to test this.

Quote by eyebanez333
Isn't he going to use a pedal for distortion though?

Anyway...besides the twin..

some others that haven't been mentioned: Vox AC30 and Peavey Classic 30/50 both have great cleans, and take pedals very well.

"Doesn't take pedals well" But yeah, those are good options too

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Last edited by Artemis Entreri at Jun 14, 2010,
That's my only problem, I won't always be using a mike, so need a nice clean tone. For instance the TSL60 was clean, loud, and wasn't even near it's max volume.

The Vox AC30, I've always liked it. But again I hear it breaks up pretty easily.

The Peavey 30/50, I've heard good things but also people say it lacks something?
Quote by DeadlySurfer
That's my only problem, I won't always be using a mike, so need a nice clean tone. For instance the TSL60 was clean, loud, and wasn't even near it's max volume.

The Vox AC30, I've always liked it. But again I hear it breaks up pretty easily.

The Peavey 30/50, I've heard good things but also people say it lacks something?

I loved my Peavey 30...I regret selling it. Its a very versatile, well rounded amp. But if you're not going to be mic'ing up...and you want clean tones at loud volumes. You might want to look for more than 30 watts tube. The Classic 50 is a beast...my last side project that was what the guitarist used. I liked the cleans a bit better on it over my 30...but that could have just been the better projection his amp had with the 4 speakers though
I'll have a look on Youtube for some demos. Can't seem to find any using a Big Muff, which is a bummer.

Edit:

Checked some vids out, pretty nice. Just not sure if it would suit me down to the letter.
Last edited by DeadlySurfer at Jun 14, 2010,
Fender Twin Reverb or Super Reverb. Or a Roland JC-120.

I know the Roland doesn't take pedals well but to be honest, I have a much different approach than it seems most people have here. I feel there should be a clean amp AND a dirty amp..unless you can find a good amp that can do both. But, I'd rather rely on natural tube distortion..than using pedals through an amp with too much headroom to distort on it's own. In that sense a Roland JC-120 would be great..you have your JC-120 and then have a break up prone tube amp of your choosing..and you switch between the two with an a/b switch. I've seen a good amount of used JC-120's for $350-$450..so it wouldn't be much to add to your setup if you already have an amp with a dirty sound you are happy with.

But since you are using a pedal...I'm serious man..Fender Reverb type amps have the best cleans I have ever heard..and a TON of headroom. And, imo..take pedals well. AC30s are not a good option IMO...if you are looking for mainly a CLEAN amp with lots of headroom..sorry ac30 is way too breakup prone.
Last edited by burritosaregood at Jun 14, 2010,
the AC30 is clean...if you mic up. If you're relying on the amp alone to stay clean at those volumes...you're definitely going to need more than 30 watts. I still think a Fender Twin is the best route here...which was given in the first post Look for a used one!
Quote by eyebanez333
the AC30 is clean...if you mic up. If you're relying on the amp alone to stay clean at those volumes...you're definitely going to need more than 30 watts. I still think a Fender Twin is the best route here...which was given in the first post Look for a used one!

Exactly..I really don't see AC30s as good clean amps to be honest..It comes down to preference, but I'd prefer the clean tone of a Fender Twin over an AC30..even an AC30 at a low enough volume to get a clean tone.
fender super reverb? 45W from 2 6L6's, however it costs even more than the twin and is a 4x10 combo so it might lack something if you prefer 12's. you could also check out a bassman, they're known for their crunch sounds more so than cleans, but at 45 W offer a range of headroom as well, however most are 4x10 combos as well.

now that i think of it... definately check out the fender super sonic! you said the twin was just over you're budget, now i dont know the conversion to pounds, but i'd guess since its slightly cheaper than the twin it is probably in your range. it comes in a 1x12 combo, and pumps 60W from two 6L6's. the clean channel has the very traditional sparkly vibrolux mode which will deliver the pristine fender cleans we all know and love. in addition it has a second bassman mode which will give you clean on the virge of crunch with a much fatter tone. i've also heard great things about the lead channel, but i have no personal experience with the amp.

the youtube videos sound great! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGVXO9G8T9k
If you don't talk to your kids about GAS, who will?
the DRRI and the AC30 will not be clean enough. theoretically speaking, 30W should be enough for small to medium venues, however most 30 or so watt amps use 6V6's and EL84's which tend to break up a lot earlier than large bottle tubes. my Vox based amp breaks up at about 1/3 volume, whereas a fender will remain clean till you get to about 8 from what i've heard.
That Super Sonic is still above £1000, darn!

So I'm looking at a 60 watter here? For enough clean headroom?
Loud, clean, cheap? Silverface Fenders.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
pretty much any tube fender handles pedals really well...i have a fender deville 4x10 combo and pedals sound great through it.

Personally I don't really care for using a pedal for distortion anymore. I used pedals for drive for 2 years...it takes away too much of that "organic" sound a tube amp has (unless you're using a really good pedal, the suhr riot is the only pedal that comes close to an amp's gain channel IMO)
Quote by MooshMooshMarc
I didnt have anything planned out, and I didn't know **** about improvising, so it was like "OH SHI- SOLO TIME" so I kerry-kinged it.
Quote by DeadlySurfer
That Super Sonic is still above £1000, darn!

So I'm looking at a 60 watter here? For enough clean headroom?

look for them used, they appear to be great amps.

but not necisarily 60W. just anything that is 2x6L6. depending on the amp design the wattage will range between 40 and 60 watts, but will have plenty more headroom than any small bottle tube amp such as 6V6's.

look at used fenders on ebay, even like a fender showman or bandmaster.