I've been playing guitar and singing for three years and I'm more than able to play and sing at the same time and not lose rhythm or anything. However, one thing I've noticed: when I sing without the guitar and when I sing with it, there becomes a noticeable difference in my vocal quality (not INCREDIBLY noticeable. However, my range decreases a bit and the tone isn't quite what it is when I'm not with a guitar). Not to say I'm the best singer in the world but it would be nice to retain my whole voice when I'm playing. Does anybody have any breathing tips or exercises or anything that may help me keep my whole voice when playing?
just practice itll eventually become habit. its the way i hav to do it and its the way my whole family has been doing it and we're a rly musical family so im pretty sure if it works for us itll work for u.
just keep playing while singing until your mind learns to co-ordinate both, keep the vocal parts you're practising simple until your singing no longer interferes with your guitar playing

I think ever since a few months after I started singing it's actually been easier for me to sing at a piano just cause it feels "at home"
I'm going to take a slightly different angle and say that your posture may change when you put the guitar on. This change in posture affects the sound. This is also relevant if you're singing into a microphone and the stand isn't set up correctly.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
i battled with that FOREVER, and i've just recently gotten good at it. You really just have to get to the point that both are enough of a habit and feel natural enough that splitting your focus allows you to sound good on both the guitar and the vocals.
Quote by magnus_maximus
You're whackin' one off in the toilet and you jizz on the counter?

I hope you never get a driving license.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
Dude mangoes are so good. Imagine a blowjob, but instead of the feeling being on your dick, it's on your mouth.
Quote by AlanHB
I'm going to take a slightly different angle and say that your posture may change when you put the guitar on. This change in posture affects the sound. This is also relevant if you're singing into a microphone and the stand isn't set up correctly.

this is it

like I said, I've been doing this for a few years and I can sing and sound good doing it. I just noticed that when I'm singing without my guitar, my range is higher and quality is just a little better. I'm just wondering how I can keep that same range and quality with the guitar. Posture is probably the problem so I'll try that, thanks.