Ok, so im trying to recording guitar/bass possibly vocals and i have the software (REAPER) and have recorded from my computer mic, i know thats not the best way to do it but im not sure what all i need to get to plug my guitar in. I know to use one of these http://www.acmebargig.com/ for my settings but i also am not sure how to download and use those. Please help a noob?
If you have any multi-fx / preamp-like pedals or amps that have a line out, you're all set. Otherwise you can basically just plug into your computer with an adapter, but then you'll need some kind of an amp modelling software. Alternatively, you could buy a mic that's meant for recording instruments, stick it to your computer and record your amp, which has it's own pro's and cons.

For more advanced, high-quality things you'll probably need a sound card that's designed for it and some good software like ProTools, but if your current sound card has a line in or even a mic in, you're set for starters.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
Quote by phoenix_crush
Plugging straight into your soundcard with an adaptor is retarded.

Works just fine if you have an amp program that works on it's own without an external control unit.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah