I bought a Samick guitar off Ebay that were missing the 6 small screws that go in the covered humbucker pickup. Sounds fine, looks weird but will it cause damage to the pickup over time - anything I should worry about or repair?

Thanks.
you mean like it doesnt have any pole pieces?

like this:

instead of this:

Cause that does no difference whatsoever i believe.
Ibanez RGT6EXFX -> Ibanez TS9 -> Korg Pitchblack -> Peavey 5150 II head -> Mesa Rectifier 2x12 cab
or are there simply no screws in the pickup rings? :p

Sorry for double post, wouldn't let me edit for some reason.
Ibanez RGT6EXFX -> Ibanez TS9 -> Korg Pitchblack -> Peavey 5150 II head -> Mesa Rectifier 2x12 cab
In the above picture from Eskil - the chrome covered humbucker with the 6 screws - mine are missing those screws - is that okay? Sounds okay but not sure if it'll sound better with the screws - that's if I can find replacement ones.

Thanks
If that's the case, then your "humbucker" is a single coil pickup at the moment. The screws are needed for hum canceling as they are the other half of the coils.

the other 6 coils are hidden under the metal plating on the pickup itself. The screws are usually the additional 6 coils...but seeing as they're not present...

hmm. I never stopped to consider if humbuckers actually WORKED without the other coils...
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Agile AL-3100 Silverburst
Last edited by Ayses at Jun 14, 2010,
The pickup is still a humbucker and has two working coils. Those screws are part of the magnetic core not the coil. The magnetic field generated by the magnets can be extended closer to the strings by raising the screws.
I don't know the size of these unfortunately, but they are probably nickel plated brass screws.
Moving on.....
Great - thanks for the info. I'll starting looking for the replacement screws.

I appreciate it.
i'm sure if you go into any local guitar shop they will be able to tell you what screws you need just by looking at it