Page 1 of 2
Just looking to get a new muff pedal. Hear good things about the Big Muff Russians and the Retroman Sybil has sounded cool. What are your favorites or most unique/enjoyable ones you've used?
I have no budget and it'll be used to just experiment with.
( )( )
( . .)
C('')('')

You will die.
Last edited by Gradyogle at Jun 14, 2010,
A Pete Cornish NG-2.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
most powerful fuzz is the zvex fuzz factory. seriously, the thing is friggin awesome.

muff, i like the civil war muff the most for guitar
Univox Super Fuzz. Dare I say two circuits in one fuzz makes for over the top fuzzzzzzzz
Gold jacket, green jacket, who gives a shit?

The Earthbound Audio Supercollider/Beast are definitely the most powerful Muffs I've heard. The Boss FZ-2 and Zvex Fuzz Factory are great, powerful non-Muff fuzzes
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Last edited by IsThereLoveInSp at Jun 14, 2010,
Quote by IsThereLoveInSp
The Earthbound Audio Supercollider/Beast are definitely the most powerful Muffs I've heard. The Boss FZ-2 and Zvex Fuzz Factory are great, powerful non-Muff fuzzes

This.

Id kill many people for one.

The swollen pickle too.

And the death by audio fuzz war is pretty much the biggest sounding fuzz ive heard on youtube.
Quote by kingbabyduck
Univox Super Fuzz. Dare I say two circuits in one fuzz makes for over the top fuzzzzzzzz

First one I though about when I read "powerfull"

And nick, you can leave your elitism in the pedalboard thread
Quote by WtrPlyr
^He's right though

Well, I think this kind of fuzz has a purpose and aren't has bad as Nick makes them, but I wouldn't call Devi's fuzz pedals "powerfull", more like "glitchy" or "splatty"
Quote by Sguit
Well, I think this kind of fuzz has a purpose and aren't has bad as Nick makes them, but I wouldn't call Devi's fuzz pedals "powerfull", more like "glitchy" or "splatty"

What you are referring to is the "stutter" and "noise". On some of her pedals these settings are controlled with a switch, on or off. On other pedals those sound effects are not present at all. The Hyperion and the Torns Peaker are closer to the standard kind of fuzz.
Last edited by jfreyvogel at Jun 14, 2010,
Quote by nightraven
for people to make stupid noise sounds out of rather than real music

Like My Bloody Valentine, Jack White, NIN, Smashing Pumpkins, Silversun Pickups, Minus the Bear?

They all use Devis stuff.

Stupid noises like, make you money mannn.
Quote by beckyjc
Like My Bloody Valentine, Jack White, NIN, Smashing Pumpkins, Silversun Pickups, Minus the Bear?

They all use Devis stuff.

Stupid noises like, make you money mannn.

Don't you know of nightraven's musical conquests? No? Oh, but surely you're impressed by his pictures of rare pedals, and ability to condescend to 13 year olds... Aren't you? AREN'T YOU?

Useable is a subjective word, so why waste our time?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Death by Audio Fuzz War
Protone Monster Fuzz
Dwarfcraft Shiva
Blackout Musket Fuzz

Edit: In that order! (for me )
404: Sig not found.
Last edited by ChrisN at Jun 14, 2010,
I dont know what songs theyre used in either, i know shields has a rocket in his regular line up, so does white, corgan has a shoe gazer, they do get used at some points, i dont know when.

I dont listen to them enough to tell you really.

Nick has a sodding meatball anyway. If thats not the definition of useless funny noise i dont know what is.

And because id rather be arguing with nick about nothing important than revising for my a level.
Last edited by beckyjc at Jun 14, 2010,
Sounds like the some cheesy 80s queerness, id rather be making random farting noise with this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDkme3kCz_Q

Nah, i do media, and have done like 2 lessons of english lit, but it looked too hard so i decided to do media instead lol.
Quote by nightraven
thing is with the kevin shields setup you can't hear a guitar sound and pick out 'oh there's the shoegazer!'

It all depends on the kind of band. For example many post metal, drone metal, etc... bands do use "walls of sound" in their music - usually as part of a build or something - and then you can say 'well, that's the ______ pedal'.
Quote by beckyjc
Sounds like the some cheesy 80s queerness, id rather be making random farting noise with this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDkme3kCz_Q

Nah, i do media, and have done like 2 lessons of english lit, but it looked too hard so i decided to do media instead lol.

Oh I do like that tone.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
Sounds good at the start, i dig the glitchyness, but theres deffinately tones in that video i could live without.

Sounds pretty thin for lead stuff though, needs some backing track for it to work.

But tbh, i dont really play enough shoegazery type stuff to justify it, if i was in a shoegazer band id have 12.
Quote by nightraven
oh i know what you mean about wall of sound music -- i'm a big shoegaze nut but a wall of sound comes from more than a fuzzbox, especially a devi ever velcro sizzle raspy box layer guitars before you stack fuzzes to make a bigger sound and anyway, imHo a superfuzz (as mentioned above) and a good big muff make a great wall of sound. they dont have that yucky harsh edge to them that the devi ever things do. unless of course you like the sound of a wall of nails crushing you in which case you have crap taste

The shoegazer (which I have used as an example because I have one) isn't very harsh - or I have never set it to something like that maybe? And the Hyperion is essentially a Big Muff sound variant. I'd check them out. You might be surprised.
Indeed, but the raspyness has its own place, not in leads by any means, if somebody stood there playing a solo and half there notes fizzled away itd be pretty shit.
But it sounds good with rhythm and a full band behind you.

Not all her pedals sound like that.
The VFM, sounds hawt for leads really, (Which on second though is the other side of the rocket i think)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNXGeiJAIas

And the ruiner would deffinately serve its place in doom and stonery stuff.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwyoDgA0Af0
(Her demo of its much better, jack black doesnt really know what to do with this kind of stuff)

THe kareko party is a nice vintagey sounding box too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJdbgPZ7cZg

And the punch love is a pretty wicked booster.

Really to understand most of her pedals you have to know how and where they apply.

I still dont like the fuzz factory really though. I wouldnt claim it as any more or less usable than devi stuff though. The FFs a bitch to tweak, one nudge and its all over the place.
Each to there own, i like some cutting high end, but it has to be paired with ridiculous low end, listen to some acid bath
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_T7KNJgCR8&feature=related

This is how fuzz should sound, at all times.

The ibby sounds nice, just a bit too tame for my taste in fuzz. It doesnt really sound muffy either, dunno what the guys on about.
They do have some less disturbing songs.
You might dig scream of the butterfly if you're interested, dax riggs has a really nice voice.

Big muff with the tone up? That is way not correct muff usage.

Doesnt really sound as shit at cutting as the muff is.
Page 1 of 2