Recently, the tuning on my guitar has been going, and it's mostly when I use the trem on it (Edge III), so I'm thinking it's probably the knife edges on the trem wearing out. I was looking at getting an OFR to put in it, and that cost £194. The thing is though, the guitar only cost me £190, so I'm a bit dubious spending more on replacing the bridge than the whole guitar cost me. Would it be worth it just to get a new guitar instead, as I was already intending to buy a 7-string (probably a Dean Razorback) after I get a new amp, and then just keeping this in either Eb standard or drop-D for the occassional song in those tunings I wanted to learn/play.
Block the trem. I can tell you how if you're interested.

And as for the 7-string, don't get a dean. Their quality isn't exactly top notch, nor is the build materials, so they're more for looking nice than playing nice. I would suggest a Schecter, Ibanez, or ESP instead.
Quote by BobDetroit
Directions:
Unplug keyboard.
Place it in your butt so you can't post anymore.

Quote by Fadetoblack5:03
You deserve some form of awesome reward, but I'm to lazy. Imagine the rest of these:

OFRs in general are worth it vs. various licensed/imitation trems. But not in that guitar. It's more of an issue when buying new guitars. Also, I don't believe an OFR and an Edge anything have the same stud spacing. So a retrofit is not a simple process.

Just block it and move on.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
^ Or an Agile, if that's in your price range. ESP has a lot of really cool, old 7 strings you can find on ebay.

If you really love your guitar to pieces, I don't see why you shouldn't get an OFR for it. I'm getting an OFR for my LTD, eventually, and even though it's only a $450 guitar, and some might say just get a new one with an OFR, I have an unbreakable sentimental/emotional attachment to my guitar. If you have something like that, then there's no reason to not upgrade it and make it the best it can be.

Otherwise, if you don't like it that much, then it's always really nice to get a new guitar.

Another factor is how much money you have to play with.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
OFR's are worth it in my opinion.....if you use it and know what you are doing with it.

How long have you had your guitar with the Edge III? Are you sure it's set up right, as that could be causing the issues you are having.

I had a buddy who was in the same boat as you....turns out he just needed it to be set up the correct way, not just a way that works, and all was fine.

I also used to have the 370DX and I never had a single tunning issue with it, but the OFR does feel a lot more sturdy.

I believe the only floyd type bridge you could put in without any mods would be the Ibanez Edge Pro. Which some reguard as a better trem than the OFR.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Quote by TheBigProjekt
And as for the 7-string, don't get a dean. Their quality isn't exactly top notch, nor is the build materials, so they're more for looking nice than playing nice. I would suggest a Schecter, Ibanez, or ESP instead.

I've played the equivalent 6-string model of the Dean, and I was happy enough with it. I didn't like the schecter I played, and I don't want another ibanez, don't like the neck as much as I used to. Might have a look into ESP.

^ Or an Agile, if that's in your price range. ESP has a lot of really cool, old 7 strings you can find on ebay.

If you really love your guitar to pieces, I don't see why you shouldn't get an OFR for it. I'm getting an OFR for my LTD, eventually, and even though it's only a $450 guitar, and some might say just get a new one with an OFR, I have an unbreakable sentimental/emotional attachment to my guitar. If you have something like that, then there's no reason to not upgrade it and make it the best it can be.

Otherwise, if you don't like it that much, then it's always really nice to get a new guitar.

Another factor is how much money you have to play with

I don't think you can get Agiles here...

I don't have alot of money. I'm not working, and I need a new amp, and there's a good chance my parents are kicking me out at the end of the month.

OFR's are worth it in my opinion.....if you use it and know what you are doing with it.

How long have you had your guitar with the Edge III? Are you sure it's set up right, as that could be causing the issues you are having.

I had a buddy who was in the same boat as you....turns out he just needed it to be set up the correct way, not just a way that works, and all was fine.

I also used to have the 370DX and I never had a single tunning issue with it, but the OFR does feel a lot more sturdy.

I believe the only floyd type bridge you could put in without any mods would be the Ibanez Edge Pro. Which some reguard as a better trem than the OFR.

I think it's set-up right, though I did it myself, so it may not be. I might take it into the shop and have it professionally done.
I'd probably just go with saving up for the Razorback if your guitar's gonna cost less than the OFR itself(plus, installation costs an arm and a leg, at least where I live). Unless you wanna be cool on these forums. In which case you should get some manner of charcoal/black superstrat 7-string with EMGs. But I'd get the Razorback anyways. =D
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
you can sharpen the knife edges and that will fix the tuning problems.it worked for me
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
I put a 375 SFr OFR into a 180 SFr guitar and now it's purely amazing. Just don't do that if you know the rest of the hardware isn't good enough anyways.
Well, you could get a decent licensed copy - Gotoh LFR's are cheaper than an OFR and are equal quality.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
None of this really matters honestly because only the Edge or Edge Pro will fit the route on that guitar.

ORF
LFR
ETC.........they will not fit without modification to the guitar.
Gear
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
OFRs are amazing, but putting one on that guitar would be like putting a supercharger in an old Toyota corolla. Pointless. Save up and get a new guitar.
Set Up:
Guitars:
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR
ESP LTD EX-401
AMP: Peavey Vypyr Tube 60W
Sanpera Footpedal
You mean pointless because it won't fit.

I looked into getting the edge in gold for my old RG370DX, and it cost about 300.00 US dollars, which depending on where you got guitar, is worth more than the guitar anyways.

Once again..... A OFR or and copy of one WILL NOT FIT INTO YOUR GUITAR WITHOUT MODS.
Gear
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
also don't get a dean razorback, deans are over priced garbage. the $1k spent on a razorback won't be any better quality than a $300 Ibanez RG
Quote by srob7001
None of this really matters honestly because only the Edge or Edge Pro will fit the route on that guitar.

ORF
LFR
ETC.........they will not fit without modification to the guitar.

actually, it will.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
According to the FR setup guide, an OFR can directly replace an Edge III.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
According to the FR setup guide, an OFR can directly replace an Edge III.

I'd measure REAL carefully before I tried that. Bit if it measures out OK, then there's no technical reason it can't be done.

However even if the OFR trem will fit the guitar, the guitar's probably not worth the time and money. No offense intended, but it's a cheap guitar.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

I found this on the Jemsite:

Won't fit. ESPECIALLY if it's a Edge III guitar. OFR is 74.61mm stud spacing and Edge III is 73mm. OFR are also physically larger than an EDGE III and won't fit in an EdgeIII route. Same for the LFR TRS & Lo TRS II (74mm and different shape). If a guitar doesn't come with a OFR, it takes serious work to install one.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

Check the knife edges and posts with a Magnifying glass, often times it is the posts that are damaged on LFR, they are cheap to replace thru stewmac.com
Quote by Eggmond
you can sharpen the knife edges and that will fix the tuning problems.it worked for me

I have seen this successfully done on a couple of guitars, its the best low cost option if you have the patience to take it slow and do a good job.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
It's not really worth it for that guitar. Frankly I don't think it's worth it for any guitar, the Gotoh unit seems much nicer (and is cheaper).
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Forget about an OFR, and put the money you'll save towards an amp. An extra £194 can make a significant difference in the quality of amp youre able to afford.

On that specific guitar, installing an OFR on will be a huge effort and cost a silly amount of money for a relatively small difference. The Zero III (if set-up correctly and maintained well) is perfectly fine...
Guitars
Ibanez RG350MYE
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Tanglewood Evo Exotic TSF CE XFM

Amps
Vox Night Train w/ V112NT
Vox Valvetronix VT30

GAS List
MIA Strat
Schecter Blackjack ATX C-7
Diezel VH4

"Negative, I am a meat popsicle"
Quote by Even Bigger D
I found this on the Jemsite:

At least someone has some common sense to look it up.

They have pictures and everything that will clearly show you what will and will not work with OFR. The spacings are all different.

I will repeat........OFR WILL NOT FIT INTO EDGE III CAVITY
Gear
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
An OFR seems extremely expensive to me. Can't you just replace the knife edges? Or are they not detachable?
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
They can be sharpened and you can prob relace all the parts, but the real question is if it is worth it.

Origianl Gold Ibanez Edge and tunners for 175.00 US dollars on Craigs list.....items can be found for a decent price, considering a new gold Edge is around 300.00 US dollars.
Gear
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ