Need some recomendations for a new amp.

1) Budget is about $500

2) I play mostly 80's hard rock and hair metal.
-Van Halen, Dokken, Warrant, Skid Row, Ratt, Extreme... etc

3) Want a distortion that can acheive those 80's vintage rock tones.

4) Also want somewhat decent cleans

Any help is apprectiated, Thank You!
Last edited by Riverratt at Jun 15, 2010,
A tube amp would be nice, but it might be hard to find a good one in my price range. A good ss would do the job
peavey windsor, screw the cleans?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I second the Tiny Terror, awesome sounding little amp. Not to sound biased, but tube amps in my experience just make everything sound better.

¦ Epiphone Sheraton II ¦ GFS Mean 90s ¦ Ampeg J-20 ¦
¦ Fulltone OCD ¦ MXR 6-Band EQ ¦ Behringer Chorus ¦ Artec Analog Delay ¦ EHX Holy Grail ¦
where will you be using it? (band practice, gigs, etc)
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
ok, can you stretch that budget slightly? a traynor ycv (i've only tried the 40, but the 50 is supposedly more marshally and that's probably what you want... better stock speaker, too) is around the $600 mark I think.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I will mainly be using it for playing in the house, and possibly gigs in the future. I guess the sound I am looking for is that Marshall JCM800 tone, but thats a little out of my budget. I also know a lot of hair metal guitarist used ADA MP-1's, those are the sounds i am trying to re-create.

Thanks for the help.
Last edited by Riverratt at Jun 14, 2010,
i think the traynor had a pretty decent master volume when i tried it (that's the 40, not the 50).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You're not going to nail those tones WELL (even almost ignoring cleans) and have gigging volume for $500. IMO that's just too tall an order. It's hard to get those sounds without a tube amp or a high end modeler, and either way you break $500 by the time you get enough power.

Maybe it's possible to get a used Peavey 5150/6505 combo in that price range...
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
Yeah I've looked at the Peavey 6505+ 112 combo, i know the cleans aren't great, but I've heard distortion is good, will a 6505 be versatile enough to cover hair metal bands?
Quote by Riverratt
Yeah I've looked at the Peavey 6505+ 112 combo, i know the cleans aren't great, but I've heard distortion is good, will a 6505 be versatile enough to cover hair metal bands?

Yeah, it was an attempt to clone the Sodano SLO on a budget, and pretty much succeeded. There's a video of someone A/Bing them on YouTube, and they're pretty close. The SLO was THE amp to own in the 80's so you should be good to go. The biggest difference would be a 1x12 vs. the ubiquitous 80's 4x12.

Even ignoring speaker setup, it's not perfect. I could suggest 4 or 5 things that would do those tones better. But they all cost well north of $1500. IMO the Peavey is the best you're going to get at a reasonable price.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

used 6505 or a new bugera 6262 or 333xl. Maybe a JCM900? or 1990? the 6262 really nails that EVH tone!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zi_16X-3MVU
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Quote by Riverratt

Again, thanks for the help!

No problem.

The Bugera 6262 is I believe a clone of the Peavey 5150/6505, so it's sort of like being 2 degrees removed from that SLO magic. The issue there is reliability though.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

who cares about reliability when you have teh soul of valves?!?!?!?!
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Caught my eye on a Carvin x100b the other day, this would stretch my budget, but i hear it gives some good 80's hard rock and metal tones along with good cleans, would this be worth the cost and fit my playing style?
Last edited by Riverratt at Jun 15, 2010,
Quote by Riverratt
Caught my eye on a Carvin x100b the other day, this would stretch my budget, but i hear it gives some good 80's hard rock and metal tones along with good cleans, would this be worth the cost and fit my playing style?

It would probably work well. I'm not all that familiar with them. Carvins have always been sort of an amp backwater - other than their endorsers, you rarely see people playing them. But the clips sound OK.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

Last edited by Even Bigger D at Jun 15, 2010,