I'm looking for some advice/opinions on a few wah pedals - The Dunlop Crybaby 535q, Vox Joe Satriani Big Bag Wah and the Fulltone Clyde Deluxe Wah.

They span quite a range in prices, with the Satch pedal being cheapest and Fulltone being £100 more expensive.

Was just wondering what the main differences in tone, build quality and reliability, ease of use and features are.

I've only owned an Original Crybaby (think that's the right model - it's the cheap one) and it broke after a short time. Since then I've been using the inbuilt wah on my Line 6 X3 Pod Live... but that's being gotten rid of as I'm bored of digital gear.

So if anyone could shine any light on the three pedals and their pros and cons versus each other that'd be greatly appreciated - I do enjoy reading peoples opinions too, so they're welcome too.
The Fulltone murders those other two in every category.

Except perhaps ease of use (it's a wah - how hard can it be?)
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
i owned a crybaby, had it for 12 years. when i decided to upgrade i was pulled in 2 directions, i wanted to go the 'picture wah' route and i was also drawn by a maestro boomerang. the clyde deluxe took the options away from me and gave me a very viable 'clyde' wah and a boomerang in one box(it also has some weird nasal wah in there too, i don't use it much, but it may sound good for bass perhaps?). i love this my clyde deluxe, but i don't think i would have been so appreciative if i didn't have 12 years of extensive playing on my crybaby.

i didn't like the 535Q for my applications, just not what i want at all. the clyde deluxe is a monster of a wah, the only wah i would consider over it would be a RMC.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
I've heard great things from the fulltone, saw a guy gig with this in his ska/raggae song.
Sounded pretty sweet.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
^ Standard Clyde =/= Deluxe Clyde.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
fulltone is amazing. Never tried the satch one but i had the standard crybaby and was'nt too impressed
Quote by i_am_metalhead
You should watch the Rob Chappers wah shootout on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnvNXNUoNW4

He likes the Big Bad Wah the most and out of the pedals he reviewed I like it the most too. Its got a nice classic wah tone with a very wide and evenly tapered sweep.

+1

I can also vouch for the BBY (check my sig )

EDIT: also, check out my review of it on UG
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/guitar_effects/vox/big_bad_wah/index.html
Last edited by SwampAshSpecial at Jun 14, 2010,
Quote by bubb_tubbs
^ Standard Clyde =/= Deluxe Clyde.

They're practically the same pedal but the Clyde has a fixed Q and the Deluxe has three different Qs you can choose from.
If it has 3 possible Qs and a volume cut/boost vs a fixed Q and fixed volume, how is that the same wah?

Same circuit perhaps, definitely not the same tonal range from both though. They might as well be completely different pedals.

Also, in that video you linked, he preferred the Clyde and Keeley over the other wahs - he just picked the BBW as the overall winner because it was cheaper, not because it sounded the best.

If the TS is going for value only, he's free to make that choice as well, but if you can afford it and are willing to pay then why not get the better pedal?

That's the reason I made the thread... buying a cheaper pedal that sounds alright is a good short term investment, but in the long run I'd end up getting the more expensive anyway if it has better tone, reliability etc. Therefore Clyde is the way to go yes?

Thanks for the quick replies by the way
Last edited by Rich T at Jun 14, 2010,
Quote by bubb_tubbs
If it has 3 possible Qs and a volume cut/boost vs a fixed Q and fixed volume, how is that the same wah?

Same circuit perhaps, definitely not the same tonal range from both though. They might as well be completely different pedals.

Also, in that video you linked, he preferred the Clyde and Keeley over the other wahs - he just picked the BBW as the overall winner because it was cheaper, not because it sounded the best.

If the TS is going for value only, he's free to make that choice as well, but if you can afford it and are willing to pay then why not get the better pedal?

No, he went for value and quality. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with boutique pedals (I'm eyeballing a couple myself) but why pay all of the extra money for a boutique wah when there are mass produced wahs that are cheaper and sound pretty damn good?