I really cant do them!
The index is supposed to be like | , but mine is always / D: if i make it | well my finger breaks

i can only do it if its in like the fret just next to the big thingy
but like the 2nd one = impossible!

any tips D:
Last edited by Tacos22 at Jun 14, 2010,
Quote by Tacos22
I really cant do them!
The index is supposed to be like | , but mine is always / D: if i make it | well my finger breaks

i can only do it if its in like the fret just next to the big thingy
but like the 2nd one = impossible!

any tips D:

Do you mean the nut? And just keep practicing your fingers will get stronger
Is your thumb on the back of the neck properly, or is it hooked over the edge near the sixth string, that can cause problems with barring :|
Use the side of your index more than the flat "pad" part on the inside.

Also, it's just barre. Barré would change the pronunciation to "bar-AY."
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
Use the side of your index more than the flat "pad" part on the inside.

Yeah, this.

Your finger can bend forwards and backwards, but not sideways.
So if you use the side of your finger a bit, it can't really bend and stop you fretting all the notes.
Last edited by whoomit at Jun 14, 2010,
my classical guitar prof used to ask me all of the time, "why are you holding down all of the strings with your index finger?"

His point being, bowing your index finger is proper, since holding down the string the rest of your fingers are already pressing down is pointless. Plus it adds unneeded strain on your wrist. So my suggestion to you, is to bow your finger (touching only the necessary strings) and use more of the side of your finger than the palm side.
Pedal Board(s)

GAS list:
- Fender Jazzmaster
- Supa Trem
- 2x12 cab
- Mesa Lone Star
- ondes martenot
Use the side of the finger, and make sure you place your thumb properly at the back of the neck, not hooking it around like you would hold a baseball bat. as for the bowing, sometimes you can do it but for some weird chords you may need to hold all of them down. its still a good idea though.

barre chords are sort of tough in the beginning, just keep practising and focus on getting all the notes to ring cleanly. you don't want any dead notes.
The word looks cooler with a é xD

Thanks, so you have to use the side of your finger? Does anyone have a picture? :s

oh also i tried to tune my guitar but absolutely failed because i was using an electric guitar one -_- is there any real normal guitar tuner on the internet? o.O
I searched on google, but since my speakers really suck and do some kind of bzz, and o na lot thers already a bzz, I really cant hear anything. Is there one with no "bzz" ? xD So it can be less horrible D;
sorry if it wasnt clear o__o
Last edited by Tacos22 at Jun 14, 2010,

Although this picture is slightly exaggerated.
Quote by Tacos22
oh also i tried to tune my guitar but absolutely failed because i was using an electric guitar one -_- is there any real normal guitar tuner on the internet? o.O
I searched on google, but since my speakers really suck and do some kind of bzz, and o na lot thers already a bzz, I really cant hear anything. Is there one with no "bzz" ? xD So it can be less horrible D;
sorry if it wasnt clear o__o

Yeah you're going to have to run this by us again...
Quote by whoomit

Although this picture is slightly exaggerated.

oh ok thanks it should be fine now

Quote by same person

Yeah you're going to have to run this by us again...

o.o ? anyways i was jsut mad cuz of that and in case someone knows a super good one i asked it :O but whatever jsut dont mind taht question
Im still working on that lol... Does your index has to sightly pull the strings down? Because thats what im doing or it sounds like crrrtch but im wondering if no im just doing something wrong xD thanks
As in bending the string? It shouldnt have to. Alot of your problem is mostly likely strength in that finger. What I did when I was learning them was to barre the string comfortably (even starting out, you shouldnt really be STRAINING yourself) and then play each of the strings making sure they ring out. Work on that as well, because Im guessing thats what you were talking about when you said "crrtch". Just play each string and make sure they ring out fully.
All advices are good, i just want to put three simple rules you may already apply :

Major thumb, face to face
Index Thumb, control lever
+ No Phalanx Holes between string and index
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best...
Last edited by Venusio G. at Jun 23, 2010,