Well, I didn't think it would happen to me, but I've hit a wall in my guitar playing.

Can't get any better, can't learn any songs I want to learn, can't even play songs I used to be able to play without getting exceedingly pissed off at my sucky playing.

Anyone else have this happen to them? I'm getting extremely frustrated that I can't play, especially the songs I used to be able to play cleanly, and I'm contemplating quitting because of the lack of fun I'm getting from guitar nowadays. I play everyday for about half an hour to an hour, but I always end up raging at one thing or another. There's nothing for me to look forward to, either, I got kicked out of my band, there's no one else who wants to make a band with me, and there's just nothing to do with guitar other than bedroom practice.
Quote by BobDetroit
Directions:
Unplug keyboard.
Place it in your butt so you can't post anymore.

Quote by Fadetoblack5:03
You deserve some form of awesome reward, but I'm to lazy. Imagine the rest of these:

I can't really play either... Usually just end up in-proving(sp?) and messing around with basic open chords and adding in something different every time.
to wee9112 - you mean improv/impovising...

and the first scentence made me think you actually ran into a wall

but i think i know what you mean - I'd go for something super easy and keep at it my friend

HELLO!

What JamesLPs and wwe9112 said, improvise and maybe try to make up your own riffs/songs?
Gear:
-Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain Top Cherry Sunburst
-Peavey Vypyr 15
-Ernie Ball Regular Slinky 0.10
-Jim Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah pedal
-Boss DS-1 Distortion pedal
-Cleartone instrument cable

L.F.C
Best thing to do when your in a hole is to stop digging.

I got frustrated so taking a week or so off is what you need. Then when you start to play again, its very refreshing. Just dont feel like you have to be better then you are.
Take a break for a couple days/a week, then try again.
Quote by Pus_Head
Best thing to do when your in a hole is to stop digging.

I got frustrated so taking a week or so off is what you need. Then when you start to play again, its very refreshing. Just dont feel like you have to be better then you are.

....I like the metaphor.

Anyway, I think I'll do this, I've only been playing for a bit over a year, and I guess the songs I'm trying to learn are a bit more advanced than I can play. My ears also adjusted a bit and I guess I heard a bit more of my mistakes now than back then.

Thanks guys =p
Quote by BobDetroit
Directions:
Unplug keyboard.
Place it in your butt so you can't post anymore.

Quote by Fadetoblack5:03
You deserve some form of awesome reward, but I'm to lazy. Imagine the rest of these:

Quote by TheBigProjekt
....I like the metaphor.

Anyway, I think I'll do this, I've only been playing for a bit over a year, and I guess the songs I'm trying to learn are a bit more advanced than I can play. My ears also adjusted a bit and I guess I heard a bit more of my mistakes now than back then.

Thanks guys =p

Yea that year hump is a hard one. I almost quit. Im just now reaching my second year, and if it wasnt for some new gear, I may feel the same. Just keep it up, and enjoy it when you can.

Play for fun, and for yourself. Not for skill or a band
Really all you can do is not play for a bit.. It sucks when you get kicked out of a band. The thing is if you connect the way your feeling about that situation to your guitar your going to be mad at it everytime you pick it up. Let go of your anger for it and maybe even start from scratch play simple s**t. Get that "new feel" again. As soon as you start getting frustrated stop, that way you won't connect anger with your guitar.
If you have any instruments in the house other then electric (acaustic guitar, fiddle, trumpet, w/e) try findong a crash course on the internet and playing on of those for a day or two.
[HARLEY-DAVIDSON]

When the world slips you a Jerffrey...

Stroke the furry walls.
stroke the furry walls.
Quote by Pus_Head
Just dont feel like you have to be better then you are.

This is excellent advice. Also is taking a break. You'll come back using notes in whole new ways.

I'm not sure what your routines are for practice, but I find it helps to change things up. I will practice my cover tunes a couple times per week, use generic backing tracks a couple times per week for improv, then more improv just me myself and I. Then try to fit in some new stuff at least one session per week, whether that's a new song, new technique, or whatever.
take a short break (week max), try learning something in a style you wouldn`t normally play, mess around with your effects settings and see if you can find something that would sound cool with a riff you already know...be creative, stop knocking yourself down you never stop learning.
When I get frustrated and feeling like I can't play anything I will pick some super easy songs to learn and just rock out for a few days before going to something more challenging. Sometimes you just gotta have fun!
im in a similar place but for different reasons. i stopped playing guitar regular when i found out my wife was pregnent and now shes 2 i seem to have a bit more free time.

now im back playing, normally get a couple of hours every other day, and im getting frustrated that used to be able to play a lot faster and found it a lot easier to learn new songs now im struggling, but i must admit im still enjoying it and thats the main thing for me.

personally id take a short break and if you really want to play in a band put an ad up in your local shop, or somthing that always makes me want to play a bit is pick up a new peice of gear, doesnt have to be anything too much but it seems to help me.
Proud owner of Paul Allander PRS styled - Shamray CS-1985
CS-1985 Pics
Jackson RR24 White with black bevels
The wall you hit is just your attitude. Everyone gets a bad attitude now and then. Once you realise that, and take a break etc., things will get better. You just need a little more inspiration and a little less of being hard on yourself.
Ibanez AF105VB
Ibanez RG2550Z
MIM '92 Fender Strat
Peavey Triumph 60
MXR-108.
and that's it. done buying stuff. probably.
Maybe buy some more stuff if possible? I was kinda dissapointed with my guitar and playing, because it sounded "not good", and then I bought a Big Muff, and I could play the stuff I wanted to know, and sound accurate.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Well I did bedroom practice for 5 years. Just starting to see a definite difference now.

New stuff helps bring the fire back, I suggest getting a new toy and playing with it tons. Ever hear of the word "woodshed"? Do it. That is how you get improvements.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
the best thing you can do for yourself is not put constrants on yourself. everybody thinks that they should be way "better" than they are and wonders WTF. i've been playing for 30+ years and by now you'd think i'd have to be great but this isn't the case. one thing that took me way to many years to figure out is that your playing strengths may not be what you set out for. for instance i wanted to be a blazing shredder type and spent alot of years trying and being frustrated by this. after i just played wht came naturally and decided to go with it life got better.

nothing to play for nonsense. get yourself some home recording stuff and tart to write and record your own songs. best way i've found to improve your playing. i haven't been in a band since the early 90s but with my home recording studio and the internet i have a reason to play and enjoy getting feedback on my music (see profile).
^ exactly. And also remember that to improve your technical skills you have to practice exponentially more. Once you get to a certain level in really may not be worth spending all the extra time just to get 2% more improvement. You might be able to use your time better and, as the poster above says, you might find you stress less and feel better about your playing.
Ibanez AF105VB
Ibanez RG2550Z
MIM '92 Fender Strat
Peavey Triumph 60
MXR-108.
and that's it. done buying stuff. probably.
This is what i do. Just quit, not playing forever but for a while,. ill go up to a month without playing. Then one day you just feel the need to play, like relapsing in a sense, then when you just have to play, play. No matter what you do itll sound/feel amazing and wont be stressfull
everyone gets this dude, you aren't alone. like everyone has said, take a short break. listen to tons of music, and also try and expand your musical horizon. browse threads like the 'forced listening thread' in the pit, for ideas. https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1244173&highlight=forced+listening+well
browse the 'beginner tab' thread in the tab tabs talk thread. https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125532
listening to new music can inspire you to pick up the guitar, as can new gear. also, mastering 'easier' songs and riffs cans boost your confidence, and make playing enjoyable again.
2009 Gibson Explorer - 2008 Washburn Idol WI45f - 1965 MiJ Ibanez Salvador Classical
Bogner Alchemist 40w 1x12" - Marshall MG10CD
I ran into this problem when I was just starting out guitar. But fortunately I had a three week long vacation visiting my cousin in Japan which took my mind off the guitar playing.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
I came in here thinking you actually ran into a wall... Bummer.

Anywho, if it hasn't been said before, try studying up on some theory. Put your guitar away for two weeks, read and learn about theory, then come back trying to apply it on the guitar, to the songs you know, or to songs that you're writing. You'll be amazed at the *click* you'll get!