i was thinking the other day about acoustic pickups. you know how thw aftermarket ones that you can get stretch over the sound hole???

what if you cut a hole in the guitar between the bridge and the sound hole........and installed a humbucker or single coil?

wouldnt that sound kinda cool?

it would be pricey to get the output jack and tone/ volume controls
but think about it! an acoustic guitar with a humbucker would have a unique sound to it

or am i jusst an idiot to want to ruin a guitar like that?
It wouldn't pick up acoustic strings very well, that's for sure...
Quote by Ur all $h1t
On public transport I furiously masturbate while trying to make eye contact with as many people as possible for as long as possible.
Quote by i_don't_know
It wouldn't pick up acoustic strings very well, that's for sure...

so you'd have to have strings with more nickel then?
I think Gibson had that same idea years ago. They called it the J-160E.

They had to modify the bracing to fit the pickup (P-90 single coil) in, and used a plywood top rather than solid wood to reduce feedback. Those changes, not to mention all the hardware screwed into the top, pretty much killed the acoustic sound. Martin did something similar at one point, with about the same results. Basically a "worst of both worlds" instrument.
Last edited by obeythepenguin at Jun 14, 2010,
Quote by obeythepenguin
I think Gibson had that same idea years ago. They called it the J-160E.

They had to modify the bracing to fit the pickup (P-90 single coil) in, and used a plywood top rather than solid wood to reduce feedback. Those changes, not to mention all the hardware screwed into the top, pretty much killed the acoustic sound. Martin did something similar at one point, with about the same results. Basically a "worst of both worlds" instrument.

i figured it was a little rettarded
Quote by fenderfreak100
i figured it was a little rettarded

I wouldn't say "retarded," just impractical. Flat-top acoustics don't work particularly well with magnetic pickups, which is why you didn't see many electro-acoustics until piezoelectric systems came about.

That said, they do make soundhole-mountable humbuckers, though those are designed to have a more acoustic-y sound than conventional electric guitar pickups. And some guys have mounted actual Gibson humbuckers in their acoustics -- have to see if I can find the thread, it came up about a year ago. Not for the faint of heart, I'm sure, but it can be done.

And of course, archtops traditionally use magnetic pickups -- those were the original electric guitars. Most hollowbody electrics have the electronics screwed into the top and are meant to play plugged in, but quite a few are actual acoustic instruments with "floating" electronics mounted on the pickguard. Quite different beasts altogether, but I just love the things.
Years ago, J.J.Cale had an old acoustic he'd torn the back off of and then installed a whole raft of different pickups and switches... Seemed to work for him. Supposedly, some Japanese scouts tried to buy it from him.

We mount magnetic PUs in our various cigar-box builds all the time. Sometimes conventional 6-string pickups, sometimes custom-wound items for however many strings the guitar is going to have (3-and-4 string builds are popular)
They work well.

something like this?

Quote by Bikewer
We mount magnetic PUs in our various cigar-box builds all the time. Sometimes conventional 6-string pickups, sometimes custom-wound items for however many strings the guitar is going to have (3-and-4 string builds are popular)
They work well.

Cigar box guitars are the shit.
[HARLEY-DAVIDSON]

When the world slips you a Jerffrey...

Stroke the furry walls.
stroke the furry walls.
Last edited by velocigecko at Jun 14, 2010,