I have a possible way of trading my lil spector preformer bass for an eight string ESP. Ive played this bass and it feels good to me. The sound is what I really like about it, though. Anyone have experience with 8 stringers? What Im worried about is I wont be able to play normal basslines unless I unstring the higher 4.
This is the bass
http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-B208FM-8String-Bass-with-Flamed-Maple-Top?sku=516647
Also, how hard would it be to get strings for this thing?
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Last edited by c3powil at Jun 14, 2010,
On a personal level I would go straight from a single course to a triple course- I don't find the difference a two course makes is "enough" in a way.

You'll be able to play normal basslines on an 8, you just that bit more detail over the top- it's more "added treble" in a way as opposed to playing octaves. Try one, then play basslines on a single course doubling up with octaves and you'll hear what I mean.
It makes no sense getting an 8 string if you are going to to take 4 of the strings off.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
On a personal level I would go straight from a single course to a triple course- I don't find the difference a two course makes is "enough" in a way.

You'll be able to play normal basslines on an 8, you just that bit more detail over the top- it's more "added treble" in a way as opposed to playing octaves. Try one, then play basslines on a single course doubling up with octaves and you'll hear what I mean.

I know what you mean. But I gues my left hand technique is a bit diffrent trying to get that extra string on there than just playing on a normal 4. I suppose I can get used to it. A little time spent working on technique is worth the little extra zing, I guess.
I dont want to go too extreme so an 8 is enough for me. If I do get the bass it will be my main axe for a while.
Last edited by c3powil at Jun 14, 2010,
Quote by c3powil
I know what you mean. But I gues my left hand technique is a bit diffrent trying to get that extra string on there than just playing on a normal 4. I suppose I can get used to it. A little time spent working on technique is worth the little extra zing, I guess.

Try to put your finger between the two strings, rather than on top of one. Don't know how it is with basses, since I've never played an 8-string myself, but I don't imagine it's much different from playing a 12-string guitar.
Its not really. I have, in fact played both. Thanks for the advice.
I've gotten kind of hooked on the sound myself, after listening to too much Zeppelin, but I don't know what I'd really do with one. Anyway, the few I've seen around here have been nasty pointy metal instruments. If someone would just make a decent acoustic model, string tension be damned...
I REALLY want an 8 string. It can fill out the sound greatly and compliments the timbre of a rock band very well, as seen here.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Dude, I had no idea....This will be awesome.