I'm actually really excited about this one. Used SoloC for the guitar tone and there's no bass yet. The song is in my profile called Demo8. Any criticism, however harsh, is welcome. Also, any suggestions on VST bass amps would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: added bass
Last edited by sambot12 at Jun 14, 2010,
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooRAAAA!!!!

I like it damned those guitars just sound mEaTY

arrangement is great, but those drums are boring (other than the bass drum's arrangements, they don't seem to disappoint quite as much)

I wanna hear more flick from that bass guitar tho!!! give it some more click in its tongue - !

hah, really sounds great so far, can't really complain just the drum's cymbal needs a bit more work and maybe give the stix some more time on those toms

C4C? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=22127372#post22127372
Last edited by Night at Jun 15, 2010,
I actually really liked it and metal isnt my thing.
*lust list*
Vox tone lab
Vox ac50
satchurator
satches time machine
vintage phase 90
Money towards this gear = $0.00

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Yeah I dreamt I was fighting Master Hand, but then I woke up to realize I was jackin' it in my sleep.
Quote by Night
I wanna hear more flick from that bass guitar tho!!! give it some more click in its tongue - !

I would if I could, but I don't have a bass, so until I get to my friend's house with proper recording stuff, it'll just be MIDI. I know the bass could sound better if I had a VST amp for it though.

Quote by Night
hah, really sounds great so far, can't really complain just the drum's cymbal needs a bit more work and maybe give the stix some more time on those toms

I'll definitely put in some more tom stuff, but what kind of changes do you suggest for the cymbals?

EDIT: Gave the cymbals less sustain and added a pretty brutal breakdown.
Last edited by sambot12 at Jun 16, 2010,
That was pretty wicked! Love the huge tone, a bit muddy and it clips sometimes, but still sounds really gigantic. The VoM/Faceless type breakdown was sick. I think it would sound better if you made it a little sharper and turned down the bass some, everything gets muddied up sometimes (especially during the bass drops). Other than at, this is pretty awesome for a little djent thing. Keep it up.
Quote by v2a2n2g2
That was pretty wicked! Love the huge tone, a bit muddy and it clips sometimes, but still sounds really gigantic. The VoM/Faceless type breakdown was sick. I think it would sound better if you made it a little sharper and turned down the bass some, everything gets muddied up sometimes (especially during the bass drops). Other than at, this is pretty awesome for a little djent thing. Keep it up.

When you say turn down the bass, do you mean on the guitar or the whole mix?
Sounds pretty brutal. How many guitar tracks are stacked lol? 15? I just have beef with the dueling guitar parts at around a minute in, but aside from that you should add some good vocals and that would be a pretty good song.
We're only strays.
This was good but some ways you could improve this would be to make the drum parts more interesting/creative and to put some vocals over this track.
rejekt, I plan to do both of those things and I think if I do it right, it'll sound sick.

Martyr's Prayer, it's 2 rhythm tracks and one lead. Also, what problem did you have with the panning guitar part? If it's not just preference, could you give me a suggestion on improving it?
Quote by sambot12
rejekt, I plan to do both of those things and I think if I do it right, it'll sound sick.

Martyr's Prayer, it's 2 rhythm tracks and one lead. Also, what problem did you have with the panning guitar part? If it's not just preference, could you give me a suggestion on improving it?

It's partially preference, but also you should retrack the parts because they don't sound solid. They need to be clear and defined, and they sound a bit rushed/wimpy.
We're only strays.
Thank you for the input. I'm just about to start recording more so I will make sure to redo that part. Also I'm adding some stuff.
Quote by sambot12
When you say turn down the bass, do you mean on the guitar or the whole mix?

The guitars, and maybe the kick.
Great quality man, I wish I could get my SoloC to sound how yours does, that's ridiculous man. I'm digging the djenty riffing going on too, it's good stuff. Everything is just in your face, though some of it reminds of veil of maya, which to me is a great thing, I'm a fan. :P
Listening as I'm writing this:

It's a good track, I really like the riffs and stuff you put in it. I honestly don't really know what to say haha. What drum program are you using for this? The tone at 1:56 just made my eyes go like this O_O haha I love it man. I seriously don't know what else to say other than I really like this track, and your demo sounds better than all my stuff haha.

C4C?
Quote by Meelad360
Listening as I'm writing this:

It's a good track, I really like the riffs and stuff you put in it. I honestly don't really know what to say haha. What drum program are you using for this? The tone at 1:56 just made my eyes go like this O_O haha I love it man. I seriously don't know what else to say other than I really like this track, and your demo sounds better than all my stuff haha.

C4C?

Well thank you. I'm using shortcircuit which is just a sampler and then I got some okay samples off the internet and modified them. The version on here right now is with old crappy samples thought, I'll put the new one soon. All credit for that tone at the end goes to Logan91 for telling me how to get it. I'll definitely check out your stuff.
Listening as writing:

The intro was great, very heavy. I love it. It makes me think of lamb of god/slipknot. You need to get some screams on this man! haha. Dude I must say I love your tone and the mixing was almost top-class, just had a few issues with the drums but nothing that can't be over-looked. This is a great demo! Haha I can't wait to hear the real song!

Crit mine? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1328091
Cheers for the crit, this isnt really my kinda music, but not to say i didnt think it was really good, wasnt a huge fan of the tone but the riffs were really unique. Im assuming some for of screaming is intended for over the song if its gonna be fully recorded?
Quote by matthew man
Im assuming some for of screaming is intended for over the song if its gonna be fully recorded?

Yeah definitely adding some vocals once I get to writing lyrics, but it'll be mostly low growls with the occasional high scream.
The tone is v good. Definatly a Thrashy Death Song, once it's got some decent vocals over the top it'll sound really good. The use of panning is really good, and effects.

The drums sound very basic for the music, maybe could put in a few more fills to make things more interesting and exciting all together. The structure comes across as quite random, but i guess that'd suit the progressive elements to the music.

All together, good job!
That was actually really cool, got me thinkin of implenting some of that stuff into my own playing (A) which is the best cricisism you can get (Y)
I loved how you got the whitechapel phaser fade in thing going on and would like to know what bass vst you used and if you dont mind what drums have you got ?

Plus i think the leads thats go over the break down rythem is really good but the Rythem tone is abit high and thin it needs more balls and punch in area's
This is a MotherFxcking Invatation
The bass VSTi is 4Front bass. It's not great, but it does the job I guess. The drums are just samples I got off the internet and EQd and added reverb and compression to. I agree on the guitar tone, I'm going to work on that a little.
is there software like guitar rig for bass???
This is a MotherFxcking Invatation
Great song man, nice effect in the first seconds. Did you use my bass drop sample?
Guitar quality is really great too but I don't know why you still don't use a drum vst =/

Nice breakdown with clean guitars @0:30
That breakdown @0:54 sounds as awesome as Veil of Maya...I see you tried getting that creepy tone like in Namaste.

I loved the bass, I'm personally going to get that VST, thanks for letting me know about it

It would be nice if you added some crazy fast riff to not make it all chugging based...you know Whitechapel has constant chugging in all their songs but once in a while they throw some nice yet brutal riffs using the fifth string

overall, fvcking awesome, I saved to my desktop this one
Thanks man. Yeah the bass VSTi is pretty good but I want to add some subtle overdrive to it when my GX comes in the mail. I don't think the bass drop sample is yours unless you posted it on freesound.com. About the crazy fast riff - I'm not really that good at guitar haha. Basically the fastest stuff I can play is in Demo5. But I do agree I should add more melodic stuff.

Not really sure what you mean about the drums. I use a VSTi for drums. Unless you mean like a good, commercial one, and in that case, it's because I'm 15 and have little to no money to spend on things that aren't essential for recording. My friend/drummer for my band got some Shure drum mics for like half of what they usually sell for so once we get an interface with a few extra preamps, we can record those.

But yeah, thanks again.
Last edited by sambot12 at Jun 24, 2010,
Thanks for the comment!

Quote by v2a2n2g2
The guitars, and maybe the kick.

Definitely agree with reducing the bass (or maybe actually the lo-mid in the 300-400 range) on those guitars. Otherwise the tone is pretty good (watch out for that clipping) - for a software amp, there seems to be a lot of depth and natural feel in the tone. Of course IMO a real amp with a mic is always going to be better but this is good.

The song itself is pretty solid. Plenty of heavy breakdowns - may I suggest a little drive for that bass? That should warm it up. Also turn it up a bit in the mix (the bass guitar that is).

Piano/Keys contributes nicely were it's been used - a nice little touch in this song.

Overall, good work - work on clarity in the guitars and you should be really close.
My Bands

Latest Original Recording
Quote by Daemos
Thanks for the comment!

Definitely agree with reducing the bass (or maybe actually the lo-mid in the 300-400 range) on those guitars. Otherwise the tone is pretty good (watch out for that clipping) - for a software amp, there seems to be a lot of depth and natural feel in the tone. Of course IMO a real amp with a mic is always going to be better but this is good.

The song itself is pretty solid. Plenty of heavy breakdowns - may I suggest a little drive for that bass? That should warm it up. Also turn it up a bit in the mix (the bass guitar that is).

Piano/Keys contributes nicely were it's been used - a nice little touch in this song.

Overall, good work - work on clarity in the guitars and you should be really close.

I definitely agree about the drive for the bass, but what keys are you talking about?
Damn that was sick. Got my head banging right away. Tone was good up until that little lead part(the stereo panned part...i dunno wasnt my thing)

I liked it but i felt halfway through it just got too "chug happy" and the other riffing got left behind.

Overall i liked it and i think vocals would do a lot to add to the end chugging.

Keep it up man.