So, I want to speed up my alternate picking, but I have this little problem:
say your playing an ascending scale, 3 notes per string. At a certain string you'll go: down, up, down. Then you'll move on to the next string, starting with an upstroke.
Now, what happens to me when I speed up, while I'm moving my pick over the string, so I can hit the next string with an upstroke, I sometimes hit the 'new' string (lightly) with a downstroke, before my pick is in position for the upstroke. The result is a muted sound inbetween the notes. When I'm playing fast enough, you don't notice is, but I can't live with the fact my picking isn't clean :p
Anyone who had the same problem or some tips?
es zien of ik geband wordt door nederlandse schuttaal :p

tieten, klootzak, hoereeeeh!
Quote by AfroVic
Let's do it again sometime

Quote by Flipje
teringtyfustakketrut! (+1 for reference)
start the next string on a down pick, as in start the whole thing on an up pick, plus loads of practise
i use economy picking which basically means when you go down, up, down the next string will start with down since your are already going down, basically be as efficient as possible
you just need to practice more with a metrenome at a speed u can play it cleanly and work your way up from there. and dont economy pick as suggested by the above post^. you could start it on an upstroke but that will take more getting used to and there will still be strings u have to start on up and downstrokes
I had to get a replacement after I broke my G string. What a pain in the ass!
Last edited by brush200400 at Jun 14, 2010,
" When I'm playing fast enough, you don't notice is, but I can't live with the fact my picking isn't clean :p"

That's great that your not half a**ing it. All you can do is like mr7string said practice a lot. Find the way that's comftorable for you, everyone has there own little tweaks and techniques just keep at it.. try maybe loosening your grip on the pick or maybe a smoother attack.
Quote by brush200400
you just need to practice more with a metrenome at a speed u can play it cleanly and work your way up from there. and dont economy pick as suggested by the above post^. you could start it on an upstroke but that will take more getting used to and there will still be strings u have to start on up and downstrokes

There's no reason why you shouldn't economy pick if you are able to do it properly, it's a great technique to have under your belt, especially when it comes to fast passages and the likes which stretch over multiple strings.

As for your problem, the way to go is, as he said to start off with a metronome slowly, and repeat the pattern until you can do it right as a habit. A good check that works for me is to see if i can do it while i pay attention to the TV without actually thinking about it. but most likely, you'll know it when it has become a good habit.
You could try and economy pick it (see above posts for definition), but I personally find that economy picking loses the definition that Alternate Picking brings. Obviously you should try both and see whats best, but personally I prefer alternate over economy.

The best thing to with alternate is start slow, but be very consistent in speed and strength. Move up in speed as you feel comfortable, and you should find yourself soon reaching decent speeds with a little practise. Try various exercises such as skipping strings and different numbers of notes per string, and try to limit the pick's movement from the strings to the smallest gap possible, say 5mm or something.

Another good thing to do is work on your fretting hand strength, so that even if you miss the pick, the note will still sound due to the strength of your fingers hammering on, which should help eradicate your muted sound problem.
I played which ever way I felt worked best.. never bothered with tutorials and people telling me how I should do it. I think you become a better guitar player if you figure out stuff by yourself.. I didn't bother with metronomes either. One of my friends would practise his scales for hours with a metronome and he still doesn't really understand them he just plays them how he is told to.. like a robot..
Cornflakes
If you want to cut down on noise while moving across strings and want to do strict alternate picking there's a couple of things you can do.

1.)Obviously, practice slowly. Figure out if there are certain strings that this happens on (G to B for instance) If you do find a pattern, then start working on that problem first.

2.)Like mishax92 said, start practicing string skipping runs. String skipping magnifies the problems you are facing so practicing it will do wonders for your alternate picking. Runs I like to practice are three notes per string starting on the D string:

D string to B string to G to E to G to B to D and repeat.

3.) Do your chromatics but start them with an upstroke. Many players get reliant on beginning with a downstroke and this forces them to address the problems that arise from that.
I never got why people say Economy has less intensity that Alternate. Picking a single string up or down isn't going to change it's sound. The only difference is Economy is more, well, economical, hence faster. The only time that picking down sounds different than up is in strumming.