x

basically i've been learning my 7th chords lately and c7 doesn't contain four notes, eh?
am i missing something?
wouldn't it be a Cadd7 or something if it had four notes?

Edit: I guess there's no such thing as add7
Last edited by sidebuster at Jun 14, 2010,
schism, that's usually how i play it, even if it may not be technically correct. You really just need that B flat to get that 7th sound.
equipment:
Gibson SG Special ltd.
Peavey JF2EX
Fender Kingman SCE
Vox AD30Vt
Line6 Spider III 150

Quote by Philip_pepper

Be sure to be able to recite at least one Shakespeare quote before and after each song.

Out loud, or in your head, it's up to you.
Quote by g_tab_man
schism, that's usually how i play it, even if it may not be technically correct. You really just need that B flat to get that 7th sound.

the thing is every guitar site i use when i'm not sure about chords has it listed as this and it's literally drove me insane until i posted this.

if it's not correct why do multiple sites have it that way?
Quote by mishax92
Theyre both C7

C7 contains the notes C, E, G and Bb. As long as you have those 4 (each note can appear more than once) then its a C7.

there's no G in that chord
Quote by sidebuster
wouldn't it be a Cadd7 or something if it had four notes?

You can't have an "add 7" due to 7 being the first interval in the adding sequence (7, 9, 11, 13, etc) From 9 onwards you can have "add X" chords.

Basically, "add X" means add ONLY that interval, whereas seeing C9 for example, means include the 7th and the 9th;

i.e.

C9 = C E G Bb and D

Cadd9 = C E G and D
Quote by schism8
x

basically i've been learning my 7th chords lately and c7 doesn't contain four notes, eh?
am i missing something?
This is the most common C7 shape. There is nothing wrong with it.
Quote by schism8

The fifth is an insignificant interval, and can be removed without altering the chord's overall tonality.
+1 to mishax

The only thing you need to create that "7-sound" is a root and the tension(b5 interval) between the major third and septim
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
Quote by schism8

The 5th of a chord is never necessary, unless a chord explicitly lists it in the bass (2nd inversion)...it can be excluded and included as you see fit.

Quote by mishax92
Theyre both C7

C7 contains the notes C, E, G and Bb. As long as you have those 4 (each note can appear more than once) then its a C7.

Eh...yes, technically. I would advise attempting to avoid doubling the 3rd of the chord.
They say the old woman's got the wisdom
'Cause she couldn't read the clock anymore
She said "The numbers don't represent the moments"
Says she don't see what all the ticking's for
Quote by schism8
x

am i missing something?

We have C (the root), E (the 3rd), Bb (the 7th). Hence, three notes. However, all we're missing is the 5th, which would be G here. The 5th isn't key to the overall sound of a 7th chord.

Take, for example, this:

That's an E7#9, the famous "Hendrix chord". It contains E (the root), G# (the 3rd), G (the flatted 3rd [this chord plays off the tension between both the natural 3rd and the flatted 3rd, in harmony with the 7th; just play it and see]), and D (the 7th). No 5th though.
The 5th is usually a note used to strengthen and augment a chord, but it isn't always required. In fact, if I had the choice between what notes to cut out of a full chord, I'd always choose the 5th -- every time.

Quote by mishax92
Cadd9 = C E G and D
Btw, I must say, I much prefer to notate this chord as C9 (No 7), as it avoids confusion in my mind. I just find it clearer.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Jun 14, 2010,