Page 1 of 2
I'm listening to Dire Strait's Brothers in Arms, and, after the obvious hits like Money For Nothing and Walk of Life, I was struck with how great the album flowed through the rest of the songs. Not like these are fillers, but love to buy albums just for this.
I've noticed this with AC/DC and the Beatles. After buying the album for the hits and listening to it for a long time, I find that I prefer the "other" songs to the well known ones because they are not overplayed, and they fit better with the feel of the whole album.
Pink Floyd is like that too, but without huge hits. But on the Wall, I like to listen to tunes like One of My Turns or The Show Must Go On as opposed to Another Brick or Comfortably Numb.

Are there any other albums that you guys know of that you prefer the fillers to the hits because of the "flow" or the fact that they just aren't over-played and still sound new to you?

edit: Don't ruin this thread because of my use of the term "filler".

edit nagain: On the other hand, I don't bag on things just because they are popular, unlike some people, but I just have an annoyance with cliche.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
Last edited by Pencil Man at Jun 14, 2010,
maybe you don't know, filler is generally a derogatory term and bands would feel insulted if you called their non-single songs as such
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
I knew that. I meant the more experimental songs on an album. I didn't mean to jump anyone's shit, but really, it's not like I'm telling anyone their stuff is filler, it's just a term.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
Isn't like every song on a AC/DC album a filler?

I guess The beatles, Cream, audioslave, kyuss, django reinhardt, duke ellington, doves and franz ferdinand.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Exactly, the non huge hit songs are not fillers, they are just "other songs". Like Queensryche's Operation: Mindcrime the hits are amazing, but so are the other tracks like Waiting for 22 or Anarchy- X. Other bands however are not as talented, some albums have a few good tracks then the rest just piss me off (like Godsmack).
every song holds a specific meaning and is just as important to the band as the popular ones. Most of the time the singles are picked out by the record company or producers because they think it'll stand the best chance of appealing to the public.

every song on an album is equal to each other and should be recognized and addressed as such. no such thing as filler in my book
I didn't mean it that way. You know what I mean. Call it whatever you want. They're still good songs, just not marketed as heavily; released as singles; heard constantly on the radio.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

Jeasus Christ! You think I'm that close minded to think that way about music! Read the thread before you post, guys.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE
maybe you don't know, filler is generally a derogatory term and bands would feel insulted if you called their non-single songs as such

+1

Also, most people (who are really into music) find that usually the "non-hits" on a certain album are better than the singles.
Quote by MSI
"on a plain" off Nirvana's Nevermind

Nah. Got to be Something in the Way. Probably best Nirvana song ever.
Last edited by jimmyled at Jun 14, 2010,
and of course the pit fails to get your point. good job pit, good job.
I agree btw. it's a good way to get into a band and appreciate the other stuff, while still hearing your favorite tunes
Any Electric Light Orchestra album really, up until 'Time'
Hull City A.F.C

Quote by Thrashtastic15
crunkym toy diuckl;ess ass ****igkjn ****** **** bitch ass pussy ****er douchecanoe ****** **** you s omn cnt you lieet le biutch
Haha wow this thread is filled with so much dumbassery it's unbelievable. And yeah, I agree, I usually listen to most everything but the singles (with exceptions of course.)
Quote by cam_sampbell
Any Electric Light Orchestra album really, up until 'Time'

Including Time? Or not? And you don't like Xanadu? I've been watching that movie since I was little, so it kind of has a good place in my heart, as well as introduced me to ELO.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

Ride the Lightning: "Escape" is a truly awesome song, though ironically it was Lars + the record company's attempt at a "single."

At that point, even Lars couldn't ruin a good song. Boy, did that change!!
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

Quote by Pencil Man
Including Time? Or not? And you don't like Xanadu? I've been watching that movie since I was little, so it kind of has a good place in my heart, as well as introduced me to ELO.

Well, 'Time' is alright I guess, and not really, I think Discovery is the last album they did I really enjoy.

I'm more of a fan of early ELO, like Eldorado, Face the Music etc I have to say though.
Hull City A.F.C

Quote by Thrashtastic15
crunkym toy diuckl;ess ass ****igkjn ****** **** bitch ass pussy ****er douchecanoe ****** **** you s omn cnt you lieet le biutch
Quote by Kensai

I guess The beatles, Cream, audioslave, kyuss, django reinhardt, duke ellington, doves and franz ferdinand.

No.
On the Somewhere In Time album from Iron Maiden, all the best songs are called "fillers" by the critics (Deja Vu and The Loneliness Of The Long Distance Runner mainly). Screw critics.

EDIT:
Quote by Kensai

Every song? They have, like, more than one song?
Quote by apple_apple
oh my god! guitarViking is a genius... respect !!!

I'm GuitarViking! Don't you forget it!
Last edited by GuitarViking at Jun 14, 2010,
Quote by GuitarViking
On the Somewhere In Time album from Iron Maiden, all the best songs are called "fillers" by the critics (Deja Vu and The Loneliness Of The Long Distance Runner mainly). Screw critics.

EDIT:

Every song? They have, like, more than one song?

So I'm guessing you'll be one of the few that enjoys Iron Maiden's Final Frontier tour. I saw them last week in Dallas, and the only song I recognized was Number of the Beast. Most of it was from their last few albums, I think. If they wanted die-hard fans to come, they shouldn't have come to here for their first show of the tour. Still really good musicianship and an excellent show, but I would have been happier if I could rock along.

I only said all of that because of your AC/DC comment. I don't understand why people have to say such stupid things about a well respected band. So they can seem "off the bandwagon"?
Quote by SlackerBabbath

Ok, so you just mean songs off of albums that aren't the singles, is that what you're trying to say?

Because if that's what you're trying to say, then every non-single, "filler" song off of Oracular Spectacular by MGMT, because they are PURE FAWKING GOLD (Though apparently a lot of the alt/indie forum disagree's with me on this. >.>, and every track off of the Fall Be Kind EP by Animal Collective, especially when you listen to it all as one track.

EDIT: I also agree with the statement about all of AC/DC's songs sounding the same, or at least very similar.

Except Ride On, which is probably why it's my favorite song of theirs.
Last edited by crazy8rgood at Jun 14, 2010,
Quote by Pencil Man
I only said all of that because of your AC/DC comment. I don't understand why people have to say such stupid things about a well respected band. So they can seem "off the bandwagon"?

Well, I too think that all of their songs sound almost exactly the same except for their singles, which are slightly different, and that they are a much over-rated band.
Quote by sticksause
Rust in Peace

+328-368-82463 (That's "Dave Mustaine" in phone number form btw)
Slappa tha bass
Quote by jimmyled
Well, I too think that all of their songs sound almost exactly the same except for their singles, which are slightly different, and that they are a much over-rated band.

Well that's wonderful. But I could say the same thing about every single band that fits into the "hard rock" or "metal" genres of today. I don't understand the appeal. You can't dance to it like country, you can't sit and appreciate it because all it is is heavy guitars, double bass drum pedals, and unintelligible lyrics, but you can mosh to it. Is that really a good thing. Would that make me proud to make music that make people beat each other up? I'd rather listen to Lady Gaga, or Beyonce.

Anyway, that was off topic. The Who have a few albums that don't get stuck in hit land.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

Quote by jimmyled

It's comments like this that just fill me with rage to the point where I know I should just stop commenting and ignore this kind of stuff, but it's ignorance in which comments like this originate.

I'm going to assume that you haven't taken the time to AC/DC's approximately-169 original studio recordings released in the US/UK but if all you do is listen to Highway to Hell, Problem Child, Dirty Deeds and Back in Black and Thunderstruck, then of course you're going to think all of their songs sound the same. They have songs like Ride On and The Jack that have a real slow blues feel, and they have songs that are hard rock driven that people come to know as AC/DC. I appreciate that not everyone wants to listen to the amount of AC/DC that I listen to, but you might think about becoming more educated before spewing statments like "***all of their songs*** sound almost exactly the same..." I've seen great lists posted by other UGers of AC/DC songs that break the mold but are completely undiscovered by most of the mainstream AC/DC listeners that I'd gladly recreate for you, but it really doesn't affect me one way or the other whether or not anyone else likes AC/DC. It's just the ignorance that gets me, and keeps getting me.
These are all moot points anyway, because as has been repeated over and over again, AC/DC knows their stuff is all similar and follows a single theme... thats because its what they love doing and they're the best at it. AC/DC has NEVER gone out looking for fans... the people who really enjoy listening to their tried and true, rock solid music know where to go for the best of the best.

The term "over-rated" is completely subjective; no band in the history of bands can be "over-rated" or "under-rated" - this all completely depends on your own opinion of the band. AC/DC never asked for you to like them, nor did they ask for me to defend them; they just couldn't give two shits about what either of us think. Believe me, I know; my friend's dad works at the Four Seasons here in Vancouver and everytime they come through to record at the Warehouse a couple of us get to go booze with them for a night.

Anyways, I love all you guys despite all this nonsense, so keep on rocking
^^Wow. You get to booze with AC/DC?

ZZ Top usually has some pretty worthwhile albums, but their singles rock too.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

Quote by Kensai

They're pretty much just filler for music in general.
Quote by Piscasis
They're pretty much just filler for music in general.

Didn't you read what the man said. This is not an AC/DC hate thread. AC/DC isn't the least of filler. Ever listen to a lot of 80's metal. Dokken, Poison, stuff like that?
Quote by SlackerBabbath

Quote by Pencil Man
Didn't you read what the man said. This is not an AC/DC hate thread. AC/DC isn't the least of filler. Ever listen to a lot of 80's metal. Dokken, Poison, stuff like that?

Oh I'm well aware, I just try to pretend the 80's hair metal scene never happened and the history of music consequently looks a little bit better.
I wouldn't buy an album with one or two good songs and the rest being fillers.
Quote by RobinTrower12
I don't listen to bands that create "Filler" songs.

This. Waste of fucking time.
Quote by jimmyled
+1

Also, most people (who are really into music) find that usually the "non-hits" on a certain album are better than the singles.

Nah. Got to be Something in the Way. Probably best Nirvana song ever.

So true for me
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop Silverburst (Invader/'59)
-Ovation ApplauseAE44II Elite Black Acoustic

Amps/Cabs
-Peavey 6505+ Head
Orange PPC2x12 Cab Black
-Behringer Ultracoustic ACX450 1x8 Acoustic Combo

Wayyyyy too many effects pedals...
Marilyn Manson only writes filler songs to pad out albums that only contain covers.

As for related content that wont troll the OP, Coheed and Cambria's "Filler" songs are massively, massively better than the singles. The singles are kind of weak for them in fact. With the possible exception of Welcome Home and Gravemakers and Gunslingers.
...In my opinion.
Quote by jimmyled
Yup.

My favourite band are Manic Street Preachers and I rarely enjoy listening to their hit songs these days. All their other songs are so much better than the hits. Much better written.
Holy shit!

None of you people actually understand what the OP is trying to say!
What he's calling "fillers" is just 1 or 2 minute long songs that are short, catchy but aren't entirely fleshed out songs like this include: Electric Requiem and My Empty Room from Operation: Mindcrime, about half of the songs on Nostradamus by Judas Preist, and those short, seemingly pointless songs on concept albums by Pink Floyd and The Who.

Honestly, an album whose "fillers" I really like is "Tommy" by The Who.
Quote by The Buttmonkey
Holy shit!

None of you people actually understand what the OP is trying to say!
What he's calling "fillers" is just 1 or 2 minute long songs that are short, catchy but aren't entirely fleshed out songs like this include: Electric Requiem and My Empty Room from Operation: Mindcrime, about half of the songs on Nostradamus by Judas Preist, and those short, seemingly pointless songs on concept albums by Pink Floyd and The Who.

Honestly, an album whose "fillers" I really like is "Tommy" by The Who.

not really. After the first few posts, they seemed to catch on. Songs not written to be popular is what I meant, or not as marketed.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

Page 1 of 2