Hi people, as I said in my last post about "metal riff techniques" I'm fairly new to playing hardcore/ deathcore style and consider myself a complete NOOB when it comes to pedals. I've recently started playing in a band but I'm not currently using any pedals. Now I see that's there's ALOT of different pedals on the market like suppressors, compression, distortion pedals blah blah. I was just wondering if any of u could explain why some of these pedals are used and what they do, and if it would be worth be forking out for any to improve my sound. I'm currently using a Roland cube-30 (small I know but it certainly annoys the neighbours and it's gonna be upgraded at some point. Looking at some peavey heads and cabs).

Thank you
Well, as you said, the amount of guitar pedals in this world is massive, so it's quite difficult to give any good, all-rounder answer in short space. Do you have any ideas as to how exactly would you want to improve your tone? Would be easier to help that way.

All in all, pedals that most metal / rock players own include a Delay, an Overdrive or a Distortion, A Wah, a noise surpessor, maybe an EQ pedal... the internet is full of information on pedals and what they do, so google up and increase your knowledge <:
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
thanks alot dude, thats pretty much all i wanted to know.

time for some research
Get a getter amp, then buy some pedals, considering your amp allready has a heap of effects, it isnt worth it at the moment, this money could be best spent on an a nicer amp and you could buy pedals in the future.
yeah i totally agree with getting a new amp. i just wanted to know what pedals people out there use for such music and why really, but like the unforgiven said, i just got to research more.

problem is i live in the uk and there is a complete lack of music stores around where i live so testing gear out for myself isnt really a option which sucks, so i do rely on alot feed back from people like yourselves, or youtube videos lol
If you get a good high gain amp, a good OD pedal, maybe some noise supression if its needed, and possibly delay and EQ. Effects arent used much generally in metal.

If you play some cleans some chorus.
thinking of a peavey valve king head. but i keep getting told by everyone to go all out for a 6505 with a 6505 4x12 cab. head and cab for life apparently!?!

but yeah, i think a decent OD, supresspr and delay would be right up my street.

ideal thank you, much appreciated
Last edited by pmbates at Jun 14, 2010,
The VK needs mods to really sound good. Here's a list of mods you'll want to do:

- Bias mod
- New tubes
- OT swap
- Mesa mod
- Rack EQ or EQ pedal in the effects loop

All of that would run you about $300 on top of the VK head. You might as well go for the 6505 for what you spend on the VK. I wouldn't advise you to do it unless you get a really good deal on one.

Don't get the 6505 cab either, get something else like a Mesa cab. Peavey's cabs have pretty terrible speakers.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
i personally don't like metal, but if you want advice about what pedals.
you first have to think what kind of sound do you want in the world of metal.

you could have any amp with a distortion channel. tube for preference.
then you just need an EQ pedal, it's the best pedal for metal by the way.

you can scoop your mids when you have to for crunch, then unscoop them for solo, vs-vs

get a noise gate too, cause high gain cause a lot of hum.

that will be a good starting point for you
GUITARS: Gibson Les Paul Classic 1960
PEDALBOARD: TC POLYTUNE, GCB-95(mod)CRYBABY, MXR DYNACOMP, WAMPLER SUPERPLEXTORTION, TS-9, BIG MUFF, SMALL STONE, SMALL CLONE, MALEKKO EKKO 616, DR SCIENTIST MINI REVERBERATOR
MY COVERS
SELLING TS-9 w/ TB MOD
Quote by pmbates
thinking of a peavey valve king head. but i keep getting told by everyone to go all out for a 6505 with a 6505 4x12 cab. head and cab for life apparently!?!

but yeah, i think a decent OD, supresspr and delay would be right up my street.

ideal thank you, much appreciated

The 6505 is a great amp for your styles; pretty much the standard in fact. In terms of a cab, you have some much better options. If you go used, you could easily score a Marshall 1960 4x12 or a Framus 4x12 for cheap, and an Orange 4x12 for a bit more money, of course with an increase in quality.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
your all awesome. thank u so much for all ur feed back. its all been taken on board.