I've been playing for about a year and a half now, and I've decided, I've finally found something I enjoy doing, and want to stay with and be awesome at. No more bullshit, I'm going to work at this, and be awesome at it (after my exams finish in 3 weeks, they're slightly more important). Though, I need some advice on a practice routine, I have no idea on how to get into one. ATM I just warm up for about 10 mins, then play a few riffs I know, and maybe learn some new stuff if I feel like it. Do this for a few hours a day. Any advice on a routine would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.
Well if u really wanna be good. Do what I do, get on a 12 hr a day practice routine. Ive played for nine years, and Ive been doing this for the last 3 and Ive really progressed FAST.
My schedule:
Warm up exercises: 15 mins
Legato technique exercises: 15 mins
Sweep picking: 30 mins
Fingerpicking/Blues/Jazz: 2 hours
Improv: 2 hours
Metal Song learning/Shredding: 2 hours
Songwriting for my band: 3 hours
Recording/Fun jamming/Scales and Theory exercises: 2 hours

Thats my usual routine. Pretty close to the norm. Some times I do one thing longer then the other. But if u follow something like that I GUARANTEE in a year u will be 1000x better then u r now.
Quote by awesomo41894
Well if u really wanna be good. Do what I do, get on a 12 hr a day practice routine. Ive played for nine years, and Ive been doing this for the last 3 and Ive really progressed FAST.
My schedule:

Thats my usual routine. Pretty close to the norm. Some times I do one thing longer then the other. But if u follow something like that I GUARANTEE in a year u will be 1000x better then u r now.

How do you even manage that... is guitar your life?
Quote by closertofreewil
I officially hate you SBLAKELELY.

PSN ID: blakerz92
add me
Quote by SBLAKELEY
How do you even manage that... is guitar your life?

LMAO Now that my gf left me for an 8th grader (Shes almost 17), yeah basically.
Congrats on your decision. Honestly, I never had a set routine, but I found great ways to develop. Maybe you can incorporate them into your routine.
1. The internet. Youtube. No joke. I'd probably suck without it. The web is full of guitar exercises and lessons. Look around.
2. Listening to guitarists I like/Watching concerts DVDs. There's so much to learn just by watching or listening.
3. Learns songs you like. If it worked for them it can work for you. Take the coolest lick in a song you know and slow it down and work it out. Download tabs like crazy! Get powertab editor or guitar pro.

I know you're looking a routine, but these are still great tips if you use them right.
Quote by awesomo41894
My schedule:

If u go straight into a routine like that after just 1 and a half years playing you will definitally do yourself some serious damage. How about getting some lessons from a pro and with their help work out a routine that suits you?
Here's a good one to find out where your playing is, what you need to work on, and to decide how to make a practice schedule out of it:
http://www.visionmusic.com/eyetest.html
Depends on what you want to learn. I want to be a metal guitarist so my "schedule" (which I really don't have, I just practise what I want to practise) usually covers some of the following techniques:

-Alternate picking
-Legato
-Bending
-Vibrato
-Tapping
-Rythm guitar playing, technique on the lower strings and things like downpicking.
-Making actual music that I compose myself
-Learning songs
-Sweep picking, 10 minutes a day.

Don't care about sweeping yet, it sounds like shit most of the time anyway and your time is better spent on more useful techniques which you'll actually use a lot.

Been playing for 17 months now and, according to my friends, I'm doing really good, and that's pretty much all because of loads of practise and metronomes.
Yeah
Right guys, thank you very much. After reading your comments over several times, and thinking it over, I've come up with this ROUGH schedule. I don't plan by any means to follow it strictly, but just to use it as a guide.

Warm Ups/stretches - 10-15 mins
Practicing/learning scales, practicing/learing chords - 1hour
Technique - 2 hours
Improv/composition - 2 hours
Learning classical - 30 mins
Learning jazz/blues - 30 mins
learning rock/metal - 2 hours
Cool down - 10-15 mins

As well as that, I'll obviously just noodle about quite a bit, and do some theory every couple nights. I don't really wanna put them into the schedule though, as I don't know how much time I'll have mor noodling, and I get bad headaches when I read, so theory is really dependant on how much of the I can take.

Could I get your opinions on it please?
Honestly mate, I think you'll burn yourself out w/ that much in the way of practice

eventually you'll be looking at your guitar as a chore and not as something fun to do.

I think you should start by LEARNING a song straight though. It gives you mad amounts of motivation and makes you feel very good.

I learned ALL my technique from songs

Sweeping - Serrana
Legato - Uli Jon Roths work Sails of Charon
Tapping - Eruption

Now i'm not saying this is the best approach, nor am i say what that other guy mr 12 hours recommends is bad, but I'm simply saying you're inevitably going to burn yourself out
Quote by JacobTheMe
JacobTheEdit: Hell yeah Ruben.

Quote by Jackal58
I met Jesus once. Cocksucker still owes me 20 bucks.
Yeah, I get burnt out after like 3 hours... I don't have a "scheduele" I just work on whatever I feel motivated to do.
Guitar/bass/mandolin stuff:
PRS SE Custom 24
PRS SE Paul Allender
Martin DCX1E
Squire Start
Memphis Bass
Johnson Savannah mando

Amp/effects/misc:
Digitech RP1000
Line 6 Spider Valve 212
Toneport Studio KB37

check out my last.fm!
my progression has definitely not been the fastest, but it's been rewarding. the only times i focus on a certain technique is when i'm learning songs that require it - the only drills i've used are chromatic exercises and the major/minor scale shapes. if you pay enough attention to know when you sound like crap, all the little techniques and tricks you learn from all the material you know sort of bleed into each other and eventually you have a solid foundation from which you can learn really advanced stuff. it's been sort of like a jigsaw puzzle for me.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Last edited by vIsIbleNoIsE at Jun 18, 2010,