Well, I've been thinking a lot about how to help get musicians the money they deserve for their music, and get the product out there, but not sap any cash from them. And, I know that many people will claim that downloading is helping to put a stake in the blood-sucking heart of the music industry, and justify it by saying that it's a form of boycotting and still giving the musician what they want; getting to do what they love and having their music out there for people to enjoy. But, does this hurt the Label or the Artist more? I've come to the conclusion that it hurts the artist more. Even if less people buy albums, the record label will continue to rape the commission from the musician. In fact, according to the law of demand, the label will have to RAISE how much they make per album. Thus, taking even MORE cash from the musician. So, how do you fix this? How can you allow the musicians to do what they love and have their material out there and not take a cent from them?

Well, here's the solution I've come up with. A completely self supported distribution agent. A website.

The skeleton design of the site, so far, will be that musicians can put their music up on the site, with, say, 3 of 15 songs from the album for free download and the rest for purchase, either digitally or hardcopy. Or maybe even a package deal. And, since there would be no middle man, the site could undersell all labels and still allow the artists to profit more. Also, they would have their merchandising, such as t-shirts and what-have-you also available for purchase on the site. At ZERO cost to them. How you say?

This;
Through clever advertising. Not only sell shirts and music for the bands that are sponsored on the site, but things that advertise the site. Such as a simple shirt that has the url on the front, like "www.stabthelabels.com" or something like that. And on the back have the mission of the site; "Bringing Music to the Masses, and the Earnings to the Musicians". And only charge enough to make up for the cost of the shirt itself, and perhaps a dollar more to help fund the site and pay for the server. Theoretically, as the site gains more attention, different companies would want to advertise on the site, and that would eventually pay for the site by itself. At this point, the shirts promoting the site would be available as part of a package deal to be sold with albums and other merchandise and all the proceeds from it would go to the artist that it was bundled with. And, maybe, with some luck and patience, larger bands would join the site instead of renewing their contracts with a record label.

What do you guys think? Good idea?
I can take the trouble, 'Cause I'm sixty feet tall.
Make it so. But how will you deal with legal stuff? Rights and whatnot?
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
Cool. I'd still torrent though because I don't have money to buy music.
Quote by Tyler Durden
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid
i only download about 4 songs from every album, so i think it would be neat that you can choose 4 free songs, and then if you want more, you pay.
whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Quote by EJD
Reminds me of that drunkard who ran out of beer... he was so desperate, he drank furniture polish.

He came to a horrible end... but a beautiful finish.
Sounds good.

But theres alot of bands out there. 99% are crap. Without record labels to sort them out we will have to trawl through endless masses of feces, seemingly smelling worse and worse until we find that one gem amidst them.

However, how many people will be willing to go through that far?

You can't have users rate bands because many people will rate black metal 0 stars despite the fact that many albums (Ulver - Bergtatt for instance) are more creative than thousands of pop bands and subsequently many people will rate Lady Gaga 0 stars despite the fact that atleast she is being unique compared to most of the crap out there.

my 2 cents.

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
ITT: People who blame record companies for music they don't like being popular.
Quote by metallicafan616
Sounds good.

But theres alot of bands out there. 99% are crap. Without record labels to sort them out we will have to trawl through endless masses of feces, seemingly smelling worse and worse until we find that one gem amidst them.

However, how many people will be willing to go through that far?

You can't have users rate bands because many people will rate black metal 0 stars despite the fact that many albums (Ulver - Bergtatt for instance) are more creative than thousands of pop bands and subsequently many people will rate Lady Gaga 0 stars despite the fact that atleast she is being unique compared to most of the crap out there.

my 2 cents.

Well, tits. Didn't think of that. I guess just sort them into categories and have the bands scribble a list of influences and fans of what bands might enjoy them?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Quote by Schmeg Junior
Well, tits. Didn't think of that. I guess just sort them into categories and have the bands scribble a list of influences and fans of what bands might enjoy them?

I guess that could work, but bear in mind that these can be inaccurate.

For instance, a band I discovered in the Metal forum called the Schoenberg Automation seemed to take no influence whatsoever from Schoenberg and their technical death metal influences just made them seem to force themselves into odd time signatures. I love odd time signatures, just not when they sound so forced, implemented only to seem technical.

Also, a lot of pretentious neoclassical shredders (most of which just poorly imitate Malmsteen) will list their influences as Paganini, Bach, Mozart Vivaldi and Beethoven. No mention of the fact that they just sound like an amalgamation of stolen, yet out of key, Malmsteen licks through a crap amp over simple chord progressions in there.

Quote by TheReverend724

too low?

And just for the record, that's 99% of every genre btw, I'm not saying that only the 1% of music that is X genre is good music

Quote by metallicafan616
Without record labels to sort them out we will have to trawl through endless masses of feces, seemingly smelling worse and worse until we find that one gem amidst them.

Because record companies have great tastes in music.

[quote="'-[NiL"]-']ITT: People who blame record companies for music they don't like being popular.
Before this post right here, no one has done that at all, you twit.

And I'm not even blaming them for crap music being popular. I'm just saying that record companies aren't supposed to pick music that's good, just stuff that will sell.
Quote by archangels666

Before this post right here, no one has done that at all, you twit.

They might not have in this thread, but I know the type. De Nile.
Quote by archangels666

Well, considering the sales, they're doing something right. Also, record labels don't just focus on pop bands that sell well, they pick some pretty good tech death bands on Nuclear Blast for example.

Quote by metallicafan616
I guess that could work, but bear in mind that these can be inaccurate.

For instance, a band I discovered in the Metal forum called the Schoenberg Automation seemed to take no influence whatsoever from Schoenberg and their technical death metal influences just made them seem to force themselves into odd time signatures. I love odd time signatures, just not when they sound so forced, implemented only to seem technical.

Also, a lot of pretentious neoclassical shredders (most of which just poorly imitate Malmsteen) will list their influences as Paganini, Bach, Mozart Vivaldi and Beethoven. No mention of the fact that they just sound like an amalgamation of stolen, yet out of key, Malmsteen licks through a crap amp over simple chord progressions in there.

too low?

And just for the record, that's 99% of every genre btw, I'm not saying that only the 1% of music that is X genre is good music

Well, just piss on my parade, why don't you? Uhhh, I suppose that's bound to happen. But, if somebody sees NeoClassical Shred as the category/genre, they'd know they aren't about to click into some symphony.
If demand falls the labels have to lower their prices to entice people to buy the product.

Also, you're effectively becoming a label yourself by doing this. A not-for-profit label, but a label nevertheless. And you'd just be competing with the retail outlets, not the labels themselves. Any non-retarded record label is going to use your site (assuming it's successful) as just another distribution method.

How would you stop it?

Most bands that are signed, sign away the rights to their songs and so they only get distributed the way the label wants. Any other way leaves the band or the vendor open to legal action.

And you're forgetting the Promotion side of things that the label does. There are already thousands of myspace bands that may have decent music, but because they aren' being promoted, they're going nowhere.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
The problem is that you will have so much cheap sounding home-recorded crap. Small bands don't have the money to go to major studios, and without the label fronting the money, the quality of recorded music will go down.
But this is essentially what CD Baby does...

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
What about touring? Aren't label the force behind that?
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
CD Baby, you say? I shall have to check it out.
Quote by archangels666

You seem to agree with them quite well.

Favorite bands :
A shit ton of them. I'll save you the long list. Right now I'm mostly into Rise Against and Billy Talent, Third Eye Blind, and Incubus. I've also been getting into Mad Caddies and Dispatch. But for the most part, I can find something in any genre that I'll like.
Favorite guitarists :
Ian D'sa, Tom Morello, John Fruciante, Ben Burnley/Aaron Fink, Tim McIlrath/Whoever else is in RA at any given time.
Favorite bassists :
Matt Freeman, Flea, Les Claypool
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
The answer is simply for bands to stay independent. The problem isn't the mechanism, its the model. The model has always been to get discovered, be made rich and famous by the label, be a super star. Hyperreality.

It should change to the artist simply making music. There's nothing wrong with not being wildly famous. The way the industry is now, it may seem hard if you have that outdated model in mind. But if you're a worker and you realize that this is your career and that YOU have to make yourself, you can be waaaaaay more successful than if you were a band who got signed to a label at the cost of your artistic integrity, with the label's hand on the "drop" lever, waiting to cut you loose as soon as you make any material that isn't quite "successful" enough.

Look at Dream Theater. They're the perfect example. Yes they have been on a label before, but really for the most part they owe all they have to their own independent efforts. They put in the WORK for their fans and in return their fans take good care of them. Have you seen Mike Portnoy's house?! Have you seen their touring production??? That's all from good honest work, just like in any career.

So to wrap that all up, these days you will actually thrive, piracy and all, if you're willing to throw away all the "making it" BS and decide to make your own success happen.
We're only strays.
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
The answer is simply for bands to stay independent. The problem isn't the mechanism, its the model. The model has always been to get discovered, be made rich and famous by the label, be a super star. Hyperreality.

It should change to the artist simply making music. There's nothing wrong with not being wildly famous. The way the industry is now, it may seem hard if you have that outdated model in mind. But if you're a worker and you realize that this is your career and that YOU have to make yourself, you can be waaaaaay more successful than if you were a band who got signed to a label at the cost of your artistic integrity, with the label's hand on the "drop" lever, waiting to cut you loose as soon as you make any material that isn't quite "successful" enough.

Look at Dream Theater. They're the perfect example. Yes they have been on a label before, but really for the most part they owe all they have to their own independent efforts. They put in the WORK for their fans and in return their fans take good care of them. Have you seen Mike Portnoy's house?! Have you seen their touring production??? That's all from good honest work, just like in any career.

So to wrap that all up, these days you will actually thrive, piracy and all, if you're willing to throw away all the "making it" BS and decide to make your own success happen.

I love you. :3 That's what I was planning on. Not making Superstars out of people. I'd personally hate that anyway.
Quote by Schmeg Junior
Well, just piss on my parade, why don't you? Uhhh, I suppose that's bound to happen. But, if somebody sees NeoClassical Shred as the category/genre, they'd know they aren't about to click into some symphony.

I was just throwing things out there.

Also, I've found that most metal bands I like have intelligent people in them who know that metal will not make you famous. I think it's no coincidence that crap bands usually have people of lesser intelligence and want to be famous in them.

Quote by metallicafan616
I was just throwing things out there.

Also, I've found that most metal bands I like have intelligent people in them who know that metal will not make you famous. I think it's no coincidence that crap bands usually have people of lesser intelligence and want to be famous in them.

I know man, just screwing with you. Thanks actually, can't be pissed at you for trying to help. And + a ****ton on the whole intelligence/fame thing.