Not sure where this belongs but we'll shove it in here. I need a song to learn. One a little bit easier than Hey Joe by Jimi Hendrix. I'm trying to learn how to play rhythm and lead at the same time, like Jimmy Page would or Richie Sambora as they are the only guitarists in their band, they need to do both. Any ideas? Oh, I'm into rock by the way and been playing 2 and a half years if that helps.
Last edited by leg end at Jun 14, 2010,
Hmmm.... The first two posts sound like crap. It's just people shredding cuz they can... Acoustic friendly stuff would be cool
Learn some blues stuff. That's basically what they were doing, only, you know, with drums and distortion.

Start with a simple chord progression -- say, E, A, B7 -- and practice "walking" between chords. Once you can do that, throw in a few arpeggios. Then when you've got that down, add in the odd melodic run, and voilla.

Off the top of my head, this is a really fun and easy song to do. He's playing a 12-string tuned to D, but it works just fine on a 6 in standard.
Voice of the Soul -- Death

Great, great tune. Extremely easy and a shit ton of fun...

"People shredding cuz they can" : sure buddy.. whatever you say.
Quote by Silentlassassin

Personally, out of those two first posts, there's nothing enjoyable about listening to them... Not my thing. I prefer the whole "less is more" approach. Mark Knopfler, David Gilmour, B.B King sort of thing...
Quote by Silentlassassin

Shredding cause they can.
playing guitar like pussies cause they can't!
That's what I say!
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
Quote by obeythepenguin
Learn some blues stuff. That's basically what they were doing, only, you know, with drums and distortion.

Start with a simple chord progression -- say, E, A, B7 -- and practice "walking" between chords. Once you can do that, throw in a few arpeggios. Then when you've got that down, add in the odd melodic run, and voilla.

Off the top of my head, this is a really fun and easy song to do. He's playing a 12-string tuned to D, but it works just fine on a 6 in standard.

Ok thanks. That's really helpful. How do I know which notes to play when walking to the next chord? Is it just notes that lead up to that chord? Like B7 to E you'd play C then D then into the E chord?
Quote by Nameless742
Shredding cause they can.
playing guitar like pussies cause they can't!
That's what I say!

This. The whole "they shred just to show off" thing is just bullshit that people say because they can't do it themselves.

Flameshield engaged.
Quote by apple_apple
oh my god! guitarViking is a genius... respect !!!

I'm GuitarViking! Don't you forget it!
Quote by GuitarViking
This. The whole "they shred just to show off" thing is just bullshit that people say because they can't do it themselves.

Flameshield engaged.

As I said, David Gilmour and Mark Knopfler both can shred. But just because you can, doesn't mean you should. But yeah, Gilmour must be crap cuz he doesn't shred, I mean, it's not like he wrote one of the best guitar solos of all time
Quote by leg end
As I said, David Gilmour and Mark Knopfler both can shred. But just because you can, doesn't mean you should. But yeah, Gilmour must be crap cuz he doesn't shred, I mean, it's not like he wrote one of the best guitar solos of all time

Theres nothing wrong with preferring slower music but to assume that someone is playing fast just for the sake of playing fast and hating a song because of it is stupid. You make it sound like the song has no feel to it or a theme to it which is not true.
Quote by leg end
Ok thanks. That's really helpful. How do I know which notes to play when walking to the next chord? Is it just notes that lead up to that chord? Like B7 to E you'd play C then D then into the E chord?

Offhand I'm not sure how you'd walk B7 to E, but I think you'd want a C# for that example. You're basically playing along the scale between the root notes. Might be easier to show what I mean, so here's a song I wrote the other day using those chords, with some really simple riffs; it took longer to perform than to write.

You can also walk down the bass notes between chords, for example this:
e --2--0--0--3--3--0--
B --3--3--3--3--3--0--
G --2--0--0--0--0--0--
D --0--0--0--0--0--2--
A --x--3--2--2--0--2--
E --x--x--x--3--2--0--
    D        G     Em

That's a little more subtle, and a very common trick. Don't know how that particular progression would sound, but it makes a convenient example. Another one I like, to walk from A to D:
e --------------
B --------------
G --------------
D -----------0--
A --0--2--4-----
E --------------

Of course, you don't want to over-do it, but used sparingly it's very effective. The exact notes will vary a bit from key to key; for example, you wouldn't want to use that last one if you've got a C anywhere nearby.

As you can tell I'm not much of a theory person, and I've probably mangled the terminology a little, but I hope that gets the general idea across.
You can play any song on acoustic. You just have to transcribe it. Its just like any other guitar.

Besides from that, people that consider themselves "rhythm" or "lead" guitarists are stupid. A DECENT (note how I didn't even go as far as to say good) guitarist can improvise when needed and keep a rhythm. Actually I take that back, any DECENT MUSICIAN should be able to do so on their instrument.

</rant>
Quote by leg end
Personally, out of those two first posts, there's nothing enjoyable about listening to them... Not my thing. I prefer the whole "less is more" approach. Mark Knopfler, David Gilmour, B.B King sort of thing...

Then easily play Sultans of Swing, he plays rhythm with lots of solo fills and such, you'll enjoy it.
Learn some of Richie Sambora's work. He has always been my favorite guitarist for his versatility.

His earlier stuff with Bon Jovi seem to be rather simple while his guitar work just shined through the 90's.

I'd suggest trying out These Days. It's a great song and a lot of fun to play. Sounds great on acoustic as well.
Anything you can play on an elelctric you can play on an acoustic too. And learn your love by the outfield. That one is fun.
Quote by obeythepenguin
Offhand I'm not sure how you'd walk B7 to E, but I think you'd want a C# for that example. You're basically playing along the scale between the root notes. Might be easier to show what I mean, so here's a song I wrote the other day using those chords, with some really simple riffs; it took longer to perform than to write.

You can also walk down the bass notes between chords, for example this:
e --2--0--0--3--3--0--
B --3--3--3--3--3--0--
G --2--0--0--0--0--0--
D --0--0--0--0--0--2--
A --x--3--2--2--0--2--
E --x--x--x--3--2--0--
D G Em

That's a little more subtle, and a very common trick. Don't know how that particular progression would sound, but it makes a convenient example. Another one I like, to walk from A to D:
e --------------
B --------------
G --------------
D -----------0--
A --0--2--4-----
E --------------

Of course, you don't want to over-do it, but used sparingly it's very effective. The exact notes will vary a bit from key to key; for example, you wouldn't want to use that last one if you've got a C anywhere nearby.

As you can tell I'm not much of a theory person, and I've probably mangled the terminology a little, but I hope that gets the general idea across.

Ok thanks for your help. That was really good of you to do that. At least there are some decent people on here eh?
Opeth-Benighted. not sure if it's what you're looking for, but learn it anyway.
Quote by webbtje
A woman's perspective is great, you get to stare down at least one top without anyone caring.