Page 1 of 6
I've been thinking about this a lot lately, mostly because of my new found liking of Devil Wears Prada and We Came As Romans, but I think music is getting a little too over produced nowadays. I know I'm not the only one thinking this either. I think this is mostly pertaining to metal bands such as the previously mentioned DWP. When you listen to music like that the only thing you can hear is the damn kick drum and vocals. Barely hear guitar or bass or anything. Take August Burns Red's newest album. Its really good...but I can't even listen to it because all I hear is drums and vocals.

Autotune is another thing. Don't get me wrong...it is definitely useful when it comes to saving time in the studio and making the vocal tracks "perfect" but some bands are going overboard with it. What ever happened to just being good at singing?

Also its getting annoying with how many bands just plain old suck live but they're good on their CD. Which furthers my point. If you can't play or sound like what you do on a CD then you shouldn't be playing. But thanks to the magic of the studio, BAM! they're good.

Please discuss....
Hence why I listen to and go and see jazz and classical groups... they generally sound good haha!
<--- This is Wally. Not Waldo.

Gear List:
Ibanez RG570
Fender MIA Strat (in black, HSS)
Godawful Marshall MG practice amp

My Youtube
My godawful blog
Depends what kind of band really. Some bands do sound overproduced but others sound just right even though they've been really heavily polished.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
It's such a shame that the days of bands recording onto answer-machine cassette tapes, in a forest during a blizzard are long gone. Music isn't real music if on any format other than a wax record. The purity is protected that way, for the aesthetics and philosophy of a piece of music remains intact in such primitive conditions, and a beautiful exclusivity and immediacy is given to the music when limited to 47 copies per recording.

It's a disgusting new low to which the music world has stooped.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by anthsband
If you can't play or sound like what you do on a CD then you shouldn't be playing. But thanks to the magic of the studio, BAM! they're good.

Yeah, fuck electronica!

I've honestly never understood why people will refuse to listen to an album if the band isn't good live. Does it matter? The music coming out of your speakers is enjoyable, so just enjoy it.
Check out my band Disturbed
I agree wholeheartedly with this statement

JLS's new song is so autotuned
Lady Gaga if you're out there, i don't care if you have a penis or not, i will marry you
I personally don't believe in all that production. When my band records, it's gonna be pretty bare.
Gear:
Squier Affinity Series Stratocaster
Epiphone G-400
Line 6 Spider
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
BOSS DD-3

"Wish I Had This" Gear:
Guitars- G&L, Gibson, PRS
Amps- Egnater, Bogner
Effects- Fulltone, JHS, Eventide
Last edited by CGB89 at Jun 14, 2010,
Production is just a tool.

It's like architecture. You can use modern engineering to make really cool buildings that are solar-powered and have a rainforest ecosystem in the lobby and swimming pools on the 207th floor, but you can also create these garish eyesores that basically ruin cities.

It all depends on who's using the tools.

If they suck, then their creations suck.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

I think it's all down to personal taste. Coheed's new album was VERY produced, almost to the point of flabbergastery when I pondered how they would perform half the songs live, but I love it. All my favourite bands seem to be heading towards a more electronic/industrial path, and I'm not complaining at all.
...In my opinion.
BACK IN MY DAY.... WE DIDNT HAVE NO FANCY RECORDING STUDIOS, WE JUST DID THE TRACKS AND THAT WAS IT, NO BULLSHIT AUTOTUNE, YOU COULD ACTUALLY HEAR THE BASS, AND WE HAD REAL VOCALISTS, NOT BARKING DOGS GOING "ROOOF ROOOOFFFFFF"

damn kids (im 15, and i listen to 60's and 70's prog)
What's so bad about a record sounding good? This is music, there are no rules. If you want to quad-track your guitars, do it. If you want to layer eleventy billion vocal tracks, go ahead. If you want to produce sounds by humping a microphone, ****ing do so.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
some bands use the studio as an instrument. so ****ing what.

but if are referring to stuff like the loudness wars then yes, i agree.

I thought the Them Crooked Vultures album had a nice, organic, live-sounding production.
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
Less produced stuff sounds better. From a recording standpoint, the more production you have to do, the worse you are at your job. You should be able to most of your work with mic choice and placement.

EDIT:

Quote by Night_Lights
some bands use the studio as an instrument. so ****ing what.

This is the opposite of what TS is talking about I think. He's talking about the overuse of EQ, compression, pitch-correction, and other processing. Using the studio as an instrument refers to using the actual building as a way to add natural changes to the sound.
Last edited by TheChaz at Jun 14, 2010,
The metal bands that you mentioned are really budget produced I'm sure. Listen to other styles/bigger names in that genre and you'll hear a far better quality.
Quote by moses132049
BACK IN MY DAY.... WE DIDNT HAVE NO FANCY RECORDING STUDIOS, WE JUST DID THE TRACKS AND THAT WAS IT, NO BULLSHIT AUTOTUNE, YOU COULD ACTUALLY HEAR THE BASS, AND WE HAD REAL VOCALISTS, NOT BARKING DOGS GOING "ROOOF ROOOOFFFFFF"

And you think that makes you better than everyone else?
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
TC Electronic Flashback Delay
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
Quote by moses132049

itt: conservative elitists
Quote by GodofCheesecake
Excessive punctuation!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by dhutton
+infinity

I have infinity.
Quote by metharian
yea its way too much for my little stick lol
Quote by TheChaz
Less produced stuff sounds better. From a recording standpoint, the more production you have to do, the worse you are at your job. You should be able to most of your work with mic choice and placement.

Damnit, we should ban "should" from music. Oh wait, I just did it myself.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Music is just progressing.. if it sounded the same as it did 30 years ago it would just be boring
Cornflakes
There's always a movement happening in the opposite direction. For every hundred bands that make a sound-a-like record in Pro-Tools for mass media consumption, there is always at least one renting a warehouse to bang on garbage can lids and break giant glass objects to create an organic, acoustic spacial sound.

You can find anything you want if you look for it.

Don't like over-produced pop music? Don't listen to it.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

Quote by Kanthras
What's so bad about a record sounding good? This is music, there are no rules. If you want to quad-track your guitars, do it. If you want to layer eleventy billion vocal tracks, go ahead. If you want to produce sounds by humping a microphone, ****ing do so.

completely agree. i like music to express exactly what the artist had in mind, not just attempt to express the idea with a half-assed live record. of course, being able to do it live is another thing - mainly bragging rights. i value the ability to compose well over the ability to play.

however, i want to say that autotune just sounds shitty.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Well, stuff's certainly getting more and more compressed and it's all about volume, so yeah I agree in the sense that I don't like where production has gone/is going. I prefer a more organic sound, which is probably partly why I find it hard to get into some of the newer stuff out there.
I agree with the whole 'its what comes out of your speakers that matters when listening to an album' thing.

It's when a band e.g. dragonforce use studio trickery and sell music on the basis it's real is a bit pretentious.

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Quote by Adam124
And you think that makes you better than everyone else?

Pretty sure that was sarcasm.
Quote by metallicafan616
It's when a band e.g. dragonforce use studio trickery and sell music on the basis it's real is a bit pretentious.

Source?
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

sgt peppers lonely hearts club anyone? its not like using the studio as a tool is new
#1 Bad Astronaut Fan
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination

Im the crazy person on the tv show intervention who does duster.
Quote by Kanthras

I don't consider a track being recorded and mixed to be smooth as shit and then mastered VERY LOUDLY so it stands out on the radio to be 'good'. Modern day 'loud' mastering destroys the dynamics of songs, luckily though i've heard in a few places that more and more people are trying to get the dynamics back, the latest slash album for instance is an example. Slash insisted that it was mastered to preserve the dynamic range of the tracks and not just so it would stand out due to it's loudness.
Quote by Kanthras
Pretty sure that was sarcasm.

Source?

There gigs compared to studio work. If apparently that's not fair because of the pressure on them live, there betcha can't play this video. For the selling thing, their sales increased exponentially with guitar hero.

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Quote by Sanitarium91
Well, stuff's certainly getting more and more compressed and it's all about volume, so yeah I agree in the sense that I don't like where production has gone/is going. I prefer a more organic sound, which is probably partly why I find it hard to get into some of the newer stuff out there.

You're... In the Pit?
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by moses132049

LAWL

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by metallicafan616
I agree with the whole 'its what comes out of your speakers that matters when listening to an album' thing.

And electronic artists taking the sound of a snare and reverse it, loop it and triple the tempo to turn it into a really cool beat isnt? It's the same thing using a different instrument.
Check out my band Disturbed
Tool, Nine Inch Nails or Eric Johnson are some who seems to put a whole lot into producing their albums, to name some. They're all amazing live, as well.

However, I get your point, man. I'd like to point out that production in itself is an art, though, and if something sounds overproduced, they're doing it wrong!
Quote by freddaahh
You're... In the Pit?
The topic was on the first page, so not really. Basically the only way I find myself here.
Quote by Zoot Allures
I don't consider a track being recorded and mixed to be smooth as shit and then mastered VERY LOUDLY so it stands out on the radio to be 'good'. Modern day 'loud' mastering destroys the dynamics of songs, luckily though i've heard in a few places that more and more people are trying to get the dynamics back, the latest slash album for instance is an example. Slash insisted that it was mastered to preserve the dynamic range of the tracks and not just so it would stand out due to it's loudness.
I agree the loudness wars is horrible, but I was under the impression that's not what this thread is about. More about tones that are highly layered and tuned to "perfection".
Quote by metallicafan616
There gigs compared to studio work. If apparently that's not fair because of the pressure on them live, there betcha can't play this video. For the selling thing, their sales increased exponentially with guitar hero.

What's wrong with sales increasing due to Guitar Hero? Anyway, this is no proof they used trickery in the studio to make their albums.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Anyone who complains about using a studio to their advantage is speaking out against Queen in my books.
...In my opinion.