I'm building my first mobile app (iPhone/iPad) and was wondering if anyone else here has built an iPhone app before. And if so, which development kit did you use? Rest assured, I did Google this, and am thinking about using Titanium Mobile, but was hoping maybe I might get some helpful insight on other kits out there, and perhaps some first hand accounts of your experiences with them.

I'm also interested in building apps for the Android in my spare time (since the iPhone app is for work), so please share any experiences you may have with any Android dev. kits. (You got me, I didn't really Google this one.)

Thanks!
I've been developing an iPhone app for college for the past 12 weeks and currently starting two new ones as well. As for the development kit, I don't think you have a choice. You have to buy a Mac and download the SDK and Xcode.

If you wanna develop for Android you should use Eclipse, it has a downloadable Android plugin with a simulator so you can actually do your testing.

How's your Java and Objective-C skills?
As the guy above said, you pretty much HAVE to be on OSX to develop for iPhone/iPads/iTouch, whereas you can develop an Android application without ever touching an Android phone (which is pretty nice).

I've never done any application for Apple devices, but I made a small program for work on Android. PM me if you have any questions!
Thanks for the feedback guys. There are some kits out there like Rhomobile and Appcelerator (Titanium Mobile) that let you use JavaScript, HTML, and CSS to do native apps. It actually looks very promising, so hopefully I won't have to learn Objective-C and pay for their developer program.

javax6: My Java skills aren't too bad. I think I'm pretty intermediate, so I guess the Android apps shouldn't be too bad. I'll definitely look into just using the Eclipse plugin. But Objective-C is a no go.

Freddedonna: The kits I mentioned above have emulators too, so that should help some haha. What did you use to make your program for Android?
Quote by Freddedonna
As the guy above said, you pretty much HAVE to be on OSX to develop for iPhone/iPads/iTouch!

There's a dev kit made by Torque for Itouch/pod/etc that works on PC. Not sure how good it is mind.
Quote by burndttoast
Thanks for the feedback guys. There are some kits out there like Rhomobile and Appcelerator (Titanium Mobile) that let you use JavaScript, HTML, and CSS to do native apps. It actually looks very promising, so hopefully I won't have to learn Objective-C and pay for their developer program.

Honestly man, there isn't any other option. If you wanna distribute the app on iTunes app store or even test it on your own device, you need the dev account. It's either that or jailbreak the iPhone which is a messy process and unofficial. Either way you gotta learn Objective-C. I'm telling you this so you don't waste your time trying to use something else.

That's cool, Objective-C is very like Java, the whole OO concept is there and there are so many useful libraries built into the Cocoa framework. I prefer it to Java, cos it forces you to think about memory management and it's basically a cleaner language.