Right. Here's a cover of "I Want Out" by Helloween that I made to try and get some help on my (in my opinion) terrible singing. I would be very appreciative if you guys could listen to this and give me some tips as to how I can improve.

I know I lost time a couple times, and I stupidly recorded my singing and the song itself as one track together, and the background song is all quiet and echoey, but my singing itself is the only thing of true importance here. Also, I kind of, like, choked randomly at the "no" before the last chorus. I'm just listing my mistakes so you guys no that I am aware of them.

Here's the link, and I apologize in advance if my singing is so terrible that your ears bleed or something xD

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/SnowKitty/music/all/play852020

Thanks,

Snowkitty.
My Gear

Schecter C-7 Hellraiser

Peavey 5150

Shure SM57

M-Audio Fast Track

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Processor (3.20 GHz)

Reaper
practice, you can find lessons on youtube but preferably with a teacher would be best.

My singing sucked too but i got into singing class in college. If you attend college or are in highschool you could take a class to help you improve.
Your normal range is fine, but when you try to hit those highs it went south. Not sure how to fix those, but your normal singing wasn't all that bad.
Vocal lessons are out of the question. I don't have the money, and I can't find any near me even if I did. I have been practicing singing for about six months now, sadly, and I'm still at this level. Also, I frequently look up singing lessons on Youtube. I try to incorporate the tips that I learn from them, but it just can't be as effective as someone who heard my voice, my singing, and advised me from there, which is what I hope to gain from this thread.
My Gear

Schecter C-7 Hellraiser

Peavey 5150

Shure SM57

M-Audio Fast Track

Reaper
The first part wasn't too terrible, just work on singing in pitch, your breathing and your vibrato. Vocal strength will probably come with practice. The falsetto was bad, and I'm still trying to develop my own technique, so I can't really help you there. I would imagine that proper breathing would make it sound better, as well as developing your falsetto "bridge" voice.
And as I was writing the above post, I got another reply Yeah, it seems like the notes in low falsetto are what suck, but in my opinion the higher falsetto sounds a bit better, though I still don't want to say "good."
My Gear

Schecter C-7 Hellraiser

Peavey 5150

Shure SM57

M-Audio Fast Track

Reaper
Wow, and ANOTHER reply. Jeez, this is awesome xD

What do you mean by falsetto "bridge" voice? Is that like mixed voice?
My Gear

Schecter C-7 Hellraiser

Peavey 5150

Shure SM57

M-Audio Fast Track

Reaper
I agree. You need to find a way to bridge falsetto and normal singing. I'm trying to do this myself, but with acoustic music instead of metal. Falsetto is probably different if you want a good power metal sound, something like what Tim "Ripper" Owens does.

EDIT: Falsetto bridge, read here http://ne0romantic.livejournal.com/24656.html
Last edited by Echoplex at Jun 14, 2010,
Six months is not a long time to be singing. It takes years to develop a good voice, in my opinion. Otherwise we would all be pros. In your sample, work on singing in your range. Also work on enunciating the words better, at times I cannot understand what you are saying. Also it sounds like you are trying to copy the original singers voice and tone. You have to sing like yourself and not copy someone else's style. But I agree with the others, your basic voice sounds pretty good, so you have a good base to begin with.
I don't really have any advice, but...

The vibrato on that last high note was insane.
So far you have shit range but a great natural tone, that's a good thing =)

You should grab a teacher if you can, someone who specializes in popular/rock music to work on your voice cause you definitely have potential. Your lower notes sound great but even before you start using your falsetto it starts getting strained, I'd say focus on getting your lower and mid range working first before you start worrying too much about the high head voice/falsetto stuff. But seriously man, I can already tell from that recording that if you get a teacher to work on your range you're gonna become a damn good singer.

If you really can't get a teacher, I'd suggest you "acquire" that Singing Success program by Brett Manning. Go through all the CD's slowly and that's about as close as you can get to a real lesson for "free"