Poll: Are Footballers Overpaid?
Poll Options
View poll results: Are Footballers Overpaid?
Yes
123 87%
No
19 13%
Voters: 142.
Page 1 of 2
So are footballers overpaid? I sure as hell think so. They get paid ridiculous amounts of money... Most will earn more in a week than what my parents will in a year. Makes me sick. Discuss.
Quote by leg end
So are footballers overpaid? I sure as hell think so. They get paid ridiculous amounts of money... Most will earn more in a week than what my parents will in a year. Makes me sick. Discuss.

Everyone in the entertainment world is overpaid...but they're talented, and they work hard at what they do. And since only like 1/2% of people could EVER do that, I see no problem.

Besides, I like football
Hmmm, I want to say yes, but with how much money the sport takes in, I'd say they get their fair share.
GO RED WINGS!!!
Welcome to capitalism.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Depends which clubs and levels of football you're talking about. In the lowest leagues the pay isn't actually that much more than if they were in the average job (the average UK wage is 24,500 pounds).

The top-flight are grossly overpaid though, I agree. The thing that gets me is that in the case of Man Utd. and other teams, the wage bills are so high, the money paid by fans at the turnstiles only JUST covers the wages bill for the PLAYERS.

sad thing is that football is as much about money as it is about the game.
No.
Everyone else is just underpaid.
Instead of bringing their wages down, bring everyone elses up, according to ratios and proportions.

Now wouldnt that be a nice world
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Depends which clubs and levels of football you're talking about. In the lowest leagues the pay isn't actually that much more than if they were in the average job (the average UK wage is 24,500 pounds).

The top-flight are grossly overpaid though, I agree. The thing that gets me is that in the case of Man Utd. and other teams, the wage bills are so high, the money paid by fans at the turnstiles only JUST covers the wages bill for the PLAYERS.

sad thing is that football is as much about money as it is about the game.

You mean soccer?
Quote by texico11
Speculation that some of them could be earning £100,000 a week.

What do you ****ing thing?

That's insane... One week and they'd be set for most of their life...
The only reason that footballers get paid that much money is that they are able to demand it from the clubs, who are able to pay it.

The reason the clubs can pay is because fans are willing to pay extortionate prices for jerseys, tickets etc.
They get paid unjustifiabley large sums of money.

Football is a game. I do not understand why people take it so seriously. Face it. Nowadays it's more of a soap opera than a sport.
Quote by leg end
That's insane... One week and they'd be set for most of their life...

Most players don't make THAT much...and quite a few of them have a hard time making it in the real world after their NFL check is used up
Quote by AcdcKicksAss
Hmmm, I want to say yes, but with how much money the sport takes in, I'd say they get their fair share.

Might be worth pointing out that of 20 Premiership teams, only about 3 of them actually have any real money.

Man Utd- 800m in debt
Chelsea- 500m in debt
Portsmouth- 110m in debt

Only Sunderland and Tottenham actually have any paper money in the bank. It's all credit notes and loans otherwise.
Quote by justaramsfan
You mean soccer?

What 99% of the world calls football, yes.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
That is how capitalism works. You are not paid by the usefulness or difficulty of your work or any of those good measures, you are paid by how much profit you can generate.
Hurrah.
Don't like it? Get rid of Capitalism.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by guitarist41
They get paid unjustifiabley large sums of money.

Football is a game. I do not understand why people take it so seriously. Face it. Nowadays it's more of a soap opera than a sport.

Sorry if you hate being entertained...in my opinion music sucks. I mean, who wants to listen to guitar solos?
No.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Yes! It's all so-called "celebrities" and such, like actors, sportsman, (some) musicians, etc. We have a broken system whereby people such as the afore mentioned get paid more than more important and useful people such as doctors, nurses, policemen, firemen, etc., the people who save lives and such. Always pisses me off but what can you do?
Quote by texico11
Yeah, it's ridiculous I honestly don't know what they do with that money. David Beckham's been playing what, 15 years at that level? That's like 720 weeks. How can he not buy pretty much whatever he wants or feels like? He could come down to where I live and buy every house in the town.

>_>

I bet he's stingy as you like too...
Quote by JackalUK
1 magic word, TAX

Two words for you: Clever accounting.

Most of them squirrel money away in offshore accounts. They'd never keep their money in the country to be taxed.
Quote by justaramsfan
Sorry if you hate being entertained...in my opinion music sucks. I mean, who wants to listen to guitar solos?

From what I said you think I hate being entertained? Damn...

Football can be entertaining but all the BS that surrounds is in no way entertaining.
Quote by guitarist41
From what I said you think I hate being entertained? Damn...

Football can be entertaining but all the BS that surrounds is in no way entertaining.

Ok, that's a fair point.
Quote by texico11
Yeah, it's ridiculous I honestly don't know what they do with that money. David Beckham's been playing what, 15 years at that level? That's like 720 weeks. How can he not buy pretty much whatever he wants or feels like? He could come down to where I live and buy every house in the town.

>_>

How much revenue did he generate for his employers? And don't forget his endorsement deals. How much have his sponsors made. If you people think these guys are overpaid stop watching them. Stop buying products they endorse. Stop wearing their jerseys. If you can't do that don't begrudge them their millions. You just sound like a bunch of jealous punks. You pay them after all.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by hagstrom_9
Fail....

Sorry, I honestly thought he meant football

I guess to you it'd be American Football
Quote by Jackal58
How much revenue did he generate for his employers? And don't forget his endorsement deals. How much have his sponsors made. If you people think these guys are overpaid stop watching them. Stop buying products they endorse. Stop wearing their jerseys. If you can't do that don't begrudge them their millions. You just sound like a bunch of jealous punks. You pay them after all.

I don't! I'm soooo anti-establishment *cool factor +10*
Earning that amount of money is just mind boggling... You'd never have to worry about bills, you know you could pay them, always be able to get your kids the best presents ever, being able to pay for a really good education for them... I would love to see a top paid footballer live a normal life with normal amounts of money for half a year. I think getting paid that much makes you miss out on life. It's the financial struggles you get, the saving up for months for that new guitar and having nights in cuz you can't afford to go out that make life brilliant.

Quote by Jackal58

And that's a load of crap. I've never bought anything football related really... I don't watch it and I don't go to the games. I'm not jealous. I honestly wouldn't want that amount of money. As I clearly state in my above post. And if I did ever get the much, I would make sure a very healthy amount goes to a good cause.
Last edited by leg end at Jun 14, 2010,
Quote by justaramsfan
You mean soccer?

Yeah I mean soccer. Three and a half years of living in England has corrupted my perfect English.
Quote by leg end
Earning that amount of money is just mind boggling... You'd never have to worry about bills, you know you could pay them, always be able to get your kids the best presents ever, being able to pay for a really good education for them... I would love to see a top paid footballer live a normal life with normal amounts of money for half a year. I think getting paid that much makes you miss out on life. It's the financial struggles you get, the saving up for months for that new guitar and having nights in cuz you can't afford to go out that make life brilliant.

What are you so mad about then? Sounds like you've got it made
Quote by justaramsfan
What are you so mad about then? Sounds like you've got it made

The fact that there are people out there such as the forces, firemen and all that do a much more important job and actually save peoples lives and then there's footballers that run around a pitch for an hour and a half, pretend to be hurt, occasionally be racist to get media attention and possibly start a fight in a club and get paid tens of thousands a week.
Quote by leg end
The fact that there are people out there such as the forces, firemen and all that do a much more important job and actually save peoples lives and then there's footballers that run around a pitch for an hour and a half, pretend to be hurt, occasionally be racist to get media attention and possibly start a fight in a club and get paid tens of thousands a week.

Who defines what's important? Life would be pretty boring without entertainment...I wouldn't make it.

Firemen are people too, so they can be racist or get into club fights too.
Quote by leg end

And that's a load of crap. I've never bought anything football related really... I don't watch it and I don't go to the games. I'm not jealous. I honestly wouldn't want that amount of money. As I clearly state in my above post. And if I did ever get the much, I would make sure a very healthy amount goes to a good cause.

Load of crap? I don't think so. How many hundreds of millions if not billions of people are watching the world cup right now? Might not be you. But billions are following it. Billions if not trillions are being made. Why should the performers on the worlds stage not get remunerated for the revenue streams they are generating? It's not their fault. It's the billions watching.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Ur all $h1t
That is how capitalism works. You are not paid by the usefulness or difficulty of your work or any of those good measures, you are paid by how much profit you can generate.
Hurrah.
Don't like it? Get rid of Capitalism.

communism ftw!
Quote by Meths

I don't think any words should be censored.

Especially faggot since homos aren't real people and all.

Quote by sam b
Man City wont win anything and finish below Arsenal.

city: 3rd + FA cup winners.
arsenal: 4th
Quote by Jackal58
Load of crap? I don't think so. How many hundreds of millions if not billions of people are watching the world cup right now? Might not be you. But billions are following it. Billions if not trillions are being made. Why should the performers on the worlds stage not get remunerated for the revenue streams they are generating? It's not their fault. It's the billions watching.

But if you scale that down to a normal business like Marks and Spencers for example. I bet the ratio of what the annual turnover of the business is and the rate of pay for the average employee is no way near the same as it is in football. I understand what you're saying though.
Quote by untalented
communism ftw!

Not communism ftw. Commonsenseunism ftw. I think we can find a middle ground between capitalism and communism.
Page 1 of 2