Should the thumb be parallel to the neck of the guitar when slapping? And where exactly do you slap? Just behind the last fret or should you slap the fret itself?

Thanks...
usually the best spot to slap is the last couple inches on the fret board... in other words the 19th to the 24th fret.

lowering the action is a must. slapping on a bass with a high action makes it very difficult

thumb doesn't have to be exactly parallel... but... never make it perpendicular to the string, you do wanna try aligning it it
Quote by chris4355
usually the best spot to slap is the last couple inches on the fret board... in other words the 19th to the 24th fret.

lowering the action is a must. slapping on a bass with a high action makes it very difficult

thumb doesn't have to be exactly parallel... but... never make it perpendicular to the string, you do wanna try aligning it it

Thanks man so you do slap the actual frets then?

I think I've seen some people slap below the frets, is that good too?

Like say half an inch after the 24th fret where the frets stop and it's just the strings, can you slap there?

Yes complete noob with regards to bass, just found out there's one lying around so I'm just screwing around with it.
Quote by -TM-
Thanks man so you do slap the actual frets then?

I think I've seen some people slap below the frets, is that good too?

Like say half an inch after the 24th fret where the frets stop and it's just the strings, can you slap there?

Yes complete noob with regards to bass, just found out there's one lying around so I'm just screwing around with it.

You can slap over the pickups as well, it depends what you find most comfortable and what sort of tone you want, they will sound different so try it and see which one you like best.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.