Poll: Do you like or support the general message of the Facebook note in OP?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you like or support the general message of the Facebook note in OP?
Yes
7 15%
No
30 64%
Somewhat
7 15%
Unsure
3 6%
Voters: 47.
Page 1 of 2
Although I'm a fairly liberal person, I'm really not much for politics. But my friend posted a Facebook note, and even though I don't really support what he's saying, I think it's something I'd like to see discussed a bit further. He's really conservative, and doesn't like Obama very much. But anyways, here's his note:
Quote by Some dude on Facebook
CAN YOU GUESS WHAT THIS IS???

Can you get it on the first picture or second or third or...

Do you have to wait until the fourth?

?????

It's the new Cook County Correctional Center in Chicago, Illinois!!

It shows that in most cases, the quality of life for prisoners has improved considerably from what you might expect.

Oh yeah, they can also order food from the menu!

Let me see now...who was the U.S. Senator who helped arrange the funds to build this beautiful "punishment" center? Oh yes, it was Obama!

This is where he plans on putting the 9/11 terrorists from Guantanamo Bay, while we have thousands of innocent Americans living in cardboard boxes on the streets who have never killed anyone. Nothing makes sense anymore!

PLEASE PASS THIS ON AS MOST PEOPLE DO NOT KNOW THIS!
Anyways, I don't really like the overall message of this note, nor do I agree with many of the underlying criminal justice ideas it supports, but I'd like to hear other thoughts on it. Wait for the poll.
I though the point was to rehabilitate these days not lock them in piss stained boxes.
Cool, I think that shit is pretty important to discuss.

I personally don't eat enough fiber.
Your friend is a moron, seriously. Get a new friend who doesn't take everything face value then reproduces it.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
I think it's bullcrap that you stick a bunch of murderers, thieves, and generally bad people in basically a hotel that they can't check of. I don't care about rehabilitating them at all. I don't know what kind of prisoners that houses, but I couldn't care less if murderers and rapists rot away in a cell the rest of their lives. They deserve it.

EDIT: That's $hitty they try to pass that off as a U.S. prison. I don't like Obama, but I do recognize he catches a lot of crap he doesn't deserve.
Last edited by Chad11491 at Jun 14, 2010,
Quote by JackalUK
I though the point was to rehabilitate these days not lock them in piss stained boxes.

From the tone of the message, locking them in piss stained boxes is what I assume the sort of person who agrees with the message of the post would want.

Though while I disagree totally with the message, that does look exceedingly luxurious.

Then again there's obviously something dodgy about this, ie the story we're getting from this guy couldn't be any more biased. I highly doubt the US government is going to lock serious criminals up in what would nearly be a 5 star hotel if it wasn't housing inmates.
Fun fact of the day

Obama's approval rating has dropped to 38%

I'm part of the 62% that realizes how incompetent he is. Actually I probably shouldn't say stuff like that, he knows who's asses to kick.
Quote by JackalUK

yeah, that pretty much sums up my thoughts on this.

it's still a prison, they're still locked up, and they still have very restrictive freedoms.
No person in their right mind would want to spend YEARS in the same building, no matter how nice it looks.

Quote by Amaseng
Fun fact of the day

I'm part of the 62% that realizes how incompetent he is. Actually I probably shouldn't say stuff like that, he knows who's asses to kick.

An even better fact:

Most people don't know two shits about politics and expect the government to fix everything without pitching in themselves.
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Jun 14, 2010,
While we have thousands of innocent Americans living in cardboard boxes on the streets
Makes you wonder why that is, eh? Hint: It isn't because of "liberal" policies. This really displays the difference between right and left-wing positions. A left-winger seeks to make everyone's quality of life equal by improving everyone's, whilst a right-winger seeks to make everyone's equal by lowering them.
Rehabilitation > Punishment. Look at norway's prisons and their crime rate.
PM me for newts
Quote by StewieSwan
Rehabilitation > Punishment. Look at norway's prisons and their crime rate.
Well to be fair, Norway doesn't have a lot of ethnic tensions and such other places have and has a fairly peaceful culture.

But yes I agree with you
From what I see all I can say is when I kill somebody it will be in Illinois.

This is the best he can be pissed about?
Does he live in Illinois?
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by JackalUK

And there we go...

Quote by Amaseng
Fun fact of the day

Ah, so you're part of the 62% that knows how to run the country.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/promises/

Hm...
Quote by JackalUK
Interesting! I'll show him that.
Quote by Kensai
Your friend is a moron, seriously. Get a new friend who doesn't take everything face value then reproduces it.
I'll agree he doesn't really know what he's talking about. He's a good guy, just really uninformed..........
Quote by JacobTheMe

That site shuts up so many self-righteous twats.

nah, alot of 'em go "Oh that must be from the liberal media, it's all lies, Obama's healthcare plan is taking money away from honest people and giving it to the lazy immigrants who terk my jerbderpydeeerrrrr!"
Quote by JacobTheMe

That site shuts up so many self-righteous twats.

Thanks, but I wish... I'm more inclined to agree with CoreysMonster here.

No leader is perfect, but you should be content with what you have. It could be worse.

I'm sick of all the Obama-hate. He isn't doing anything? No shit, no president, or anyone in government, can really do anything.

No matter who signs the laws, they're still written and approved by a group of people we elect to be bought out by our economy. It's the companies and means of productions that control our government, not us, and not the people in the office chairs.

We live in a Corporatocracy, and until we do something to limit industry access to our Congress then we'll always be at the mercy of big business.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
That's interesting. I just watched Michael Moore's "Sicko" (A little late, I know) and he talks about the free healthcare prisoners in Gitmo got, which was better than the 9/11 rescuers.
Quote by dudetheman
I'm sick of all the Obama-hate. He isn't doing anything? No shit, no president, or anyone in government, can really do anything.

No matter who signs the laws, they're still written and approved by a group of people we elect to be bought out by our economy. It's the companies and means of productions that control our government, not us, and not the people in the office chairs.

We live in a Corporatocracy, and until we do something to limit industry access to our Congress then we'll always be at the mercy of big business.
The only thing a president is good for is to be a scapegoat.
Quote by Amaseng
Fun fact of the day

Incompetency =/= disagree with your beliefs

As of 6/14/10, Obama has a 45% approval rating . If you're going to use numbers to make yourself look dumb, at least use the right ones, although to be fair that's how these kind of messages in the OP thrive so such a practice must be pretty commonplace.

In general, I hate chain messages that try to incorporate politics. My dad gets a bunch from one of his ultra-conservative friends and he always forwards me them. It's fun taking all the "facts" and debunking them line-by-line the first couple times, but it gets old after a while.

EDIT: Also, what Ninja Vampirate and dudetheman said.
Last edited by iro-bot31 at Jun 14, 2010,
This is where he plans on putting the 9/11 terrorists from Guantanamo Bay, while we have thousands of innocent Americans living in cardboard boxes on the streets who have never killed anyone. Nothing makes sense anymore!

My god, he's right!
We should put those fuckers in jail too!
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Damn you, bodyheatseeker

Quote by Paramore.
bodyheatseeker, I will NEVER forgive you.

Yeah, like really. This is bull.

Money all gone to waste for people who deserve ot be shackled in a sewer.
Prison is something (as a slightly left leaning person) I've always been unsure about. I'm against torture and unhealthy conditions of prisons, but at the same time I don't want a murderer to be content with prison life. I've tried to step in the shoes of victims loved ones, but I really can't experience that.

Maybe I'll watch The Shawshank Redemption again tonight...
I'm pretty sure that is NOT Cook County. Seeing as I pass the actual facility on a weekly basis.

THIS is Cook County

Quote by PluckU
OH **** YOU says the computer, YOU MAY ONLY HAVE 1, READ IT, ONE AUDIO TRACK >:O I then i got pissed off and through my tuner against a wall
Last edited by HostileFTW at Jun 14, 2010,
http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl_cook_county_correctional5.htm

The preceding photos, while authentic, do not depict the Cook County Correctional Center in Chicago, contrary to what is claimed in forwarded emails. The facility is the Justice and Detention Center in Leoben, Austria, designed by renowned architect Josef Hohensinn.

Completed in 2005, the Justice Center houses the District Court and public prosecutor's office as well as a prison designed "to optimize the quality of residence for employees and inmates." Prisoners are housed in groups of up to 15 (to a total capacity of 205) and can move freely between their compact but well-appointed cells and communal spaces, which include exercise rooms, sports facilities, and outdoor courtyards. Needless to say, the thinking behind the institution represents a bold, new — and not uncontroversial — concept in prison design.

No such facility exists in Chicago, Illinois.

Look what two seconds on Google can do for you kids.
Last edited by Albino Uprising at Jun 14, 2010,
Quote by Albino Uprising
Look what two seconds on Google can do for you kids.

That's nothin'. You should see what actually reading the thread can do for you.
Last edited by Gyroscope : Tomorrow at 01:00 PM.
it'll never happen in texas.

edit: even the actual cook county jails look nicer than the county facilities down here.
Last edited by z4twenny at Jun 14, 2010,
Quote by Amaseng
Fun fact of the day

You're part of the 62% too obtuse to understand politics and believe your uninformed opinion isn't bullshit.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
Do you guys wanna know why so many bills don't get passed in multi-party legislatures?
Because the minority party will do whatever it can to discredit the party in power. FACT!
They don't give a shit if there are shitloads of people homeless, they just want the other bloke out of power. That's why it's hard for everything promised to go through. Politicians don't care about other people, Politicians care for Politicians and even then, it's really only one Politician that Politician cares for.
You're friend is an ass. I was going to make a sarcastic comment, but goddamn he rubs me the wrong way.
I'm pretty sure this is in Austria or Germany

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Rehabilitation > Punishment.

Imprisonment is supposed to happen so we can isolate them from society, not to "punish" them. The idea behind our justice system is successfully allowing the criminal to be rehabilitated back in to society.

Look at crime rates, and even programs used in the judicial process. Countries that focus on rehabilitation of the criminal, Norway for example, have better crime rates. Programs that focus on rehabilitation (such as incorporating numerous aboriginal customs in to the process as an option, such as allowing the suspect and victim to meet if it's agreed upon) cause crime rates and repeat offender numbers to plummet. The facts speak for themselves, we have to focus on rehabilitation not punishment.

Complaining that these people are not suffering more is not right, we should be complaining that all people don't get these rights if anything. I believe in equality for our justice system (except for things where it's justified, such as solitary confinement versus not having that, but that is different to be fair). One group of prisoners should not recieve a higher quality of life in prison in comparison to another group of prisoners. Simple as.
Quote by dudetheman

You, my friend, are 100% correct.
Page 1 of 2