I am in a hardcore progressive band and am in search for a tone very similar to that of one on August Burns Red's Constellations album. A heavy chug with a bold presence and clarity for frequent riffing. I play with an LTD-H1001 with Seymour Duncans and use a Fender Frontman212R. I have been told to switch to EMG's but I'm satisfied with the Duncans and what they deliver. On that note I am stuck with a BossMT-2 metal zone. I had believed I would be safe with it since it has a handful of EQ possibilities, but every single result i come to, the tone lacks the necessary low end that I need and online EQ sheet didn't help. I tried the ML-2 a while back and that wasn't any better. I am on somewhat of a budget, but I would like to know several effective ideas/ways to achieve the hardcore/progressive tone.

Example of my goal:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2X58c06Uhs&feature=related
Send the MT-2 in to Keeley or Monte Allums to get modded.

If not, sell both the MT-2 and the Frontman, and go for the Peavey 6505+ 112.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I use a 5150 and have perfect tone for what you want.
Agile 725 7 string w/Blackouts (new paint too)
Jackson Soloist Professional Standard
Jackson SLSMG With Livewire Metals
Fernandes Tremor 4 string
Peavey 5150 2x12 (new tolex and re-biased)
Peavey TNT 100 1x15
Line 6 Pod XT w/FBV
Misc Junk
6505+ 112.
It's the same amp (essentially) that they use/used.

Pedals won't get you anywhere really.
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
Damn.. Is there a pedal that can provide a descent low end to accompany the MetalZone?
Quote by ericrawr
Damn.. Is there a pedal that can provide a descent low end to accompany the MetalZone?
You could spend $3,000 on pedals and it would still sound sub-par through your Frontman.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by ericrawr
Would I be better off with a Peavey Vypyr 75 75W 1x12 Guitar Combo Amp ?
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Vypyr-75-75W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp-104922877-i1413607.gc

You'd probably be slightly better off, yeah.
Still not a really good amp though, but it'll get you CLOSER to the tone you want if you're on a budget.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Quote by ericrawr

You could send your MT-2 off to get Keeley modded or the Diezel mod from R3FX, but even if that does help it's only really a short term solution. The money you spend getting it modded would probably be better off spent upgrading your amp.
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
Quote by ericrawr
Would the Peavey Bandit112 or Vypyr75W lead me in a better direction?

Personally I would but the Vypyr, if you can try both though, that would be a good idea, you might like the Bandit better.

You should consider saving more money though, neither of those are AMAZING amps.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Would I still have to apply the Metalzone to the Peavey 6505 Plus 112 60W 1x12 to get the sound I'm after?
Quote by FuzzLove
you might like the Bandit better.

I know I do
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."