Page 1 of 2
i'm strongly considering installing Linux on my desktop. (i'm on my MacBook now and will still use it for most things. i just want to have some fun with Linux.)

anyone here use Linux, and if so, what distribution?
which distros would you recommend?

anyone not like Linux?
looks pretty bitchin to me.
I recommend you Linux Mint. It's like Ubuntu, but with all the goodies pre-installed (flash, dvd decryption, etc)

www.linuxmint.com
Last edited by malakian_rocks at Jun 14, 2010,
Quote by malakian_rocks
I recommend you Linux Mint. It's like Ubuntu, but with all the goodies pre-installed (flash, dvd decryption, etc)

www.linuxmint.com

Just checked out their website, looks pretty cool.
Quote by malakian_rocks

www.linuxmint.com

this is a great way to start. I also recommend Crunchbang which is a bit more stripped down but still Ubuntu based and still comes with all the aforementioned goodies and means you can use all of Ubuntu's extensive package repos.

If you haven't got a lot to do atm I also highly recommend Arch Linux which lets you build the system up from nothing into exactly what you want. It has fantastic tinkering value and a great help-base so if you put in the time you can really make the ideal OS for you.

http://crunchbanglinux.org/
http://www.archlinux.org/
ubuntu and kubuntu are the easiest to start out. ubuntu for a mac like interface, kubuntu for a windows interface. there are piles of docs and forums to help u do anything. just make a tiny partition for it (like 10gbs) and just mess around with it.

then get a program called wine that can emulate windows programs, and bam, games on ur mac without windows. using windows programs thru linux on a mac
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
i'd also like to add that i want something unique, as i have windows xp, vista, and 7.
as well as OS X 10.6.1

i'd like it to not look like windows or mac.

and it'll be the only operating system on that computer, i deleted some of the crucial files in XP and don't have the windows disks.

i don't know the actual specs. but it's a pretty nice computer. relatively high-end back in XP days.

EDIT:
using windows programs thru linux on a mac

i'm not going to install anything on my MB...
Last edited by TonyRandall at Jun 14, 2010,
Quote by TonyRandall
i'd also like to add that i want something unique, as i have windows xp, vista, and 7.
as well as OS X 10.6.1

i'd like it to not look like windows or mac.

and it'll be the only operating system on that computer, i deleted some of the crucial files in XP and don't have the windows disks.

i don't know the actual specs. but it's a pretty nice computer. relatively high-end back in XP days.

EDIT:

i'm not going to install anything on my MB...

You can customize the interface any way you want (unlike Windows or Mac). As far as specs go, any decent computer will work almost flawlessly with Linux. The only time you may actually need a powerful graphics card would be with Kubuntu or any Linux distro that uses KDE as a graphical environment, cause KDE looks freaking awesome but it uses quite a bit of juice. But considering your machine is from XP days (like mine, which runs really well with Linux Mint), you shouldn't be running into too much trouble.
I had to work with Linux for 2 weeks in my computer class and we used Ubuntu, OpenSUSE, and MoonOS. I have Ubuntu running on my laptop and MoonOS on my desktop. If you are looking for a distro that doesnt look like Windows, go with MoonOS (idk about Mac, haven't used it)

http://www.moonos.org/
CURRENT SETUP
Fender Starcaster strat (3 tone sunburst)
Squier P-bass (metallic blue)
Fender SP-10 amp
Crate amp (given to me, dont know model)
Digitech RP350 multi-effects pedal

Keeping life simple, one bass note at a time
Mint looks cool.

i want something that's relatively easy. it's my first time with linux, but i'm relatively smart when it comes to computers. so it doesn't have to be too user-friendly.
but i want it to be totally customizable.
I'm using both Ubuntu and Xubuntu and I would definitely recommend them. I'm using the 9.01 release because I've heard some negative feedback from the new release. Your battery life will be significantly cut though.
Quote by nile447
Your battery life will be significantly cut though.

this will be going on my desktop.

not my macbook, which i am on now.
i deleted some crucial files when i accidentally hit the power switch on the surge protecter when doing a system restore, so the desktop doesn't even boot into windows at the moment.

i'll download linux to a CD using my macbook, but that's it.
nothing will be saved, or installed, on my mb...
Definitely Mint or Ubuntu. I use Ubuntu and love it. I've tried Mint, and it's basically Ubuntu with Windows paint. I stuck, however, with Ubuntu.

Ubuntu just had a major release at the end of April, so it's great time to try it if you're new or considering switching. Or whatever.
I highly recommend linux. I dual-boot Windows 7 Ultimate x64 with Linux. Not sure what a good distro would be for coming from a Mac but really what's the fun in picking one that will be an easy transition? Find the coolest most customizable distro you can and make it your perfect operating system.
Quote by 666WildChild666
Not sure what a good distro would be for coming from a Mac but really what's the fun in picking one that will be an easy transition? Find the coolest most customizable distro you can and make it your perfect operating system.

i've only been a mac user for a few months.

since January. i think that's when i bought my macbook.

and that's what i'm looking for.

the coolest, most customizable distro.

mint?
Quote by TonyRandall

mint?

Well for me, Ubuntu gets the "cool" award. Certainly cooler and more customizable than Mint.
Quote by TonyRandall
anyone here use Linux, and if so, what distribution?
which distros would you recommend?

anyone not like Linux?
looks pretty bitchin to me.

Put me as "yes" to both. Linux user 6+ years. Still have it on my one machine for development, but for everyday use I'm happily running Windows XP. It's great if you're doing, say, software development, and need absolute control over everything. It's terrible if you're just a mere mortal who wants to get things done.

Driver support is severely lacking, even where there's "official" support (e.g. NVIDIA graphics cards). They lack the features and performance of their Windows counterparts, even the stability -- I've seen X11 crash or lock up far more times than any Windows PC. Simple, everyday tasks like installing a printer or a scanner can involve hours of frustration, if your device is even supported at all. And there's no such thing as forwards- or backwards-compatibility. They don't even want it. Seriously.

Software selection is extremely limited. You've got web browsers up the wazoo, but there's only one remotely credible office suite -- OpenOffice.org -- and for anything beyond the basics, that toy just doesn't cut it. Don't expect to do much graphics or multimedia work; there's The GIMP and Audacity, but not much else, not even a decent clone of Movie Maker. On that note, serious question: do they still make you jump through hoops just to play back MP3s?

Finally, if something goes wrong, you basically have to be a developer to fix it. And if you are a developer -- speaking from experience -- you spend most of your time on Google or sifting through endless posts on the Ubuntu forums where everyone's complaining about the same problem, and nobody knows how to fix it.

To be fair, there are some parts I like. I love the UNIX command line; it's incredibly powerful, sometimes even beautiful in its own twisted way. And I really like KDE -- don't care for the newer versions, but 3.5 is one of the most powerful and polished desktop environments ever coded. Of course, neither of those requires the Linux kernel per se, and if it weren't for the even more lacking hardware support, I'd much rather run them on OpenBSD.

I'm sure I could add more, but I'd rather let the build scripts do the talking.
Quote by TonyRandall

mint?

arch arch arch

like i said a little bit more work involved but its exactly what you just asked for and the tutorials are fantastic

EDIT:

Quote by Msu_Man04
Well for me, Ubuntu gets the "cool" award. Certainly cooler and more customizable than Mint.

dude, they are both exactly as customizable as each other because they are essentially the exact same thing.
Last edited by Diamond Dave at Jun 15, 2010,
Quote by ShareCash!
You know what works with Linux?
MONEY!

You know what works with spam? REPORTED!

Anyway...

I've heard good things about Arch, too, but considering you'd be a Linux newb, I'd just go with Ubuntu. It's not like you're gonna waste money by trying one and then the other. XD.

Quote by CaptDin
I don't understand the point of Linux.

What's there to understand? It's an OS, just like Mac or Windows. Except free, growing, open-source, awesome for developers, and more fun to experiment with than any other OS.
Last edited by Msu_Man04 at Jun 15, 2010,
Quote by Msu_Man04
You know what works with spam? REPORTED!

Anyway...

I've heard good things about Arch, too, but considering you'd be a Linux newb, I'd just go with Ubuntu. It's not like you're gonna waste money by trying one and then the other. XD.

Is it really necessary to say "reported" every time you report something?
Quote by CaptDin

Was that post even necessary? Totally irrelevant, though if you must know, I just felt like being a jerk about it. It's not like that was all that was in my post. Back the hell off. You're the one posting unnecessary messages.

Oh, and even your FIRST post was stupid. "I don't see the point of Linux." Thanks for contributing, guy.

Also, I don't know how often Arch is updated. When was the last release?
Last edited by Msu_Man04 at Jun 15, 2010,
Quote by Msu_Man04
Was that post even necessary? Totally irrelevant, though if you must know, I just felt like being a jerk about it. It's not like that was all that was in my post. Back the hell off. You're the one posting unnecessary messages.

Also, I don't know how often Arch is updated. When was the last release?

Whatever, I just get irritated when people do that. Maybe I'm just a touchy ass, sorry.
Quote by CaptDin

yes, so someone else doesn't report it as well.

also. please don't get this thread closed, dudes.
Last edited by TonyRandall at Jun 15, 2010,
Quote by Msu_Man04
What's there to understand? It's an OS, just like Mac or Windows. Except free, growing, open-source, awesome for developers, and more fun to experiment with than any other OS.

I still don't get it. I mean, when you buy a computer, it has an operating system on it... why not just use that one?

Sorry, for the most part I don't know shit about computers, other than basic, everyday stuff.
Quote by TonyRandall
yes, so someone else doesn't report it as well.

http://ubuntustudio.org/
Ubuntu Made for anyone in graphic design, art, music, recording, etc.
I dual boot with windows XP.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Quote by metalwarrior40
http://ubuntustudio.org/
Ubuntu Made for anyone in graphic design, art, music, recording, etc.
I dual boot with windows XP.

oh, shit! thanks so much!

now it's a close one between Arch and US.

i'm a Linux n00b; how hard is Arch to install?
how much work is involved?
i'm running ubuntu 10.04. i got a discount at the local computer store the other day because they like linux users. woot woot.

ubuntu's the most user-friendly. that's why i use it. maybe i become more l33t i'll use debian or xubuntu or something.
#DTWD
Quote by TonyRandall
oh, shit! thanks so much!

now it's a close one between Arch and US.

i'm a Linux n00b; how hard is Arch to install?
how much work is involved?

well here's the beginners guide:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners'_Guide

I mean its long and I'd only suggest you go for it if you're interested in playing around with the command line a fair bit but if you're ever so slightly interested its very rewarding.

Most people can get from inserting the CD to being up and running in 40 minutes or so. To be honest though you might be best off going with US at first and if you start to get into the whole linux thing go to Arch later.
Quote by primusfan
i'm running ubuntu 10.04. i got a discount at the local computer store the other day because they like linux users. woot woot.

How is it? I've heard it's got issues (like pretty much every new release I imagine), so I've been waiting until everything's sorted out and more stable before upgrading to it.

ubuntu's the most user-friendly. that's why i use it. maybe i become more l33t i'll use debian or xubuntu or something.

Isn't xubuntu just ubuntu for shitty computers? I had to download it to run live on a really old piece of crap that wouldn't boot (built from random parts my dad brought home, I wanted to see what was on the drives and what worked).

Quote by TonyRandall
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntustu.../10.04/release/

which do i download?

i'm going to put this onto a CD to install on my other computer.
not the one i'm on now..

Does the machine you're installing to have a 32 or 64 bit processor? If it's 64 bit, get the AMD64 one, otherwise x86 (you might also want x86 even with a 64 bit processor, for compatibility reasons. pretty sure Flash has issues with 64 bit linux).

Also, like I said above, I'm not sure if the most recent release is all that stable yet (most recent being 10.04), so you might want to look up some reviews and stuff to see how it is, and if it doesn't look quite stable enough to you, look for a download of 9.10 (torrents would likely be the easiest to find).
Quote by CaptDin
I still don't get it. I mean, when you buy a computer, it has an operating system on it... why not just use that one?

Sorry, for the most part I don't know shit about computers, other than basic, everyday stuff.

that's assuming you actually buy a pre-built computer rather than building one. And you still pay for it even if you do buy a pre-built computer, you just aren't buying it separately.

Then there are those who use it out of principle i.e. people who prefer open source software, others like the customisation possibilities and then there are those who need to do more than windows or mac can easily perform.

Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
i dual boot with ubuntu 10 and its cool

i used to run debain and it was also good but ubuntu is easier
id say play with ubuntu to start as it will install well without having to tinker too much, you can get used to the basics then start with some other distro

or jump right in
now extra flamey
Quote by dark&broken

Does the machine you're installing to have a 32 or 64 bit processor? If it's 64 bit, get the AMD64 one, otherwise x86 (you might also want x86 even with a 64 bit processor, for compatibility reasons. pretty sure Flash has issues with 64 bit linux).

i'm not sure.
i haven't used that computer for a couple years.

it's from XP days, so i assume x86...

could someone maybe find a link to whatever i need to download?
Quote by dark&broken

Regarding Flash, there are several workarounds. For Firefox there's nspluginwrapper, which seems to have disappeared (here's the source code: nspluginwrapper-1.0.0.tar.bz2). Opera also has its own wrapper. There's also a native 64-bit Flash plug-in, but that was still early beta last time I checked.

The only significant advantage to 64-bit is if you're doing i.e. heavy mathematical computations or something. The 4GB memory limit of 32-bit architectures really isn't that limiting for most everyday use -- hell, the machine I'm typing this on runs fine with 384MB. Wine/CrossOver (perhaps the most useful Linux applications ) are 32-bit applications, as are most commercial applications and games, and believe me when I say backwards compatibility is still a mess. Just go with x86 if you value your sanity.
Page 1 of 2