I don't know if anyone will be able to help, but I figure this is the best place to ask.

Over the past 6 - 8 months, I've really been getting into Jazz, particularly what I believe is called Bebop/Hard Bop (I'm really not sure of myself when it comes to Jazz classifications, but I'm fairly certain that's what is called), I really like the pace and the energy that it has. I've been listening to Albums by Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers (I have a bunch of their albums), Charles Mingus, John Coltrane, Lee Morgan, Thelonious Monk (although I don't know if he's really Bebop) and I've also got the album Jazz at Massey Hall by The Quintet.

I don't actually know anyone who listens to Jazz so I've been using the Internet to find similar bands and I've found out about many of the bigger names like Dizzy Gillespie, Charlie Parker and Wayne Shorter, etc. The problem is that there is so much out there to choose from, I'm kind of overwhelmed and I don't really know where to start with these artists.

I really prefer faster pace Jazz in the style of the songs below rather than slow songs. If you guys could try to give me some recommendations about particular albums by some of the bigger name musicians as well as recommendations on some of the lesser known artists in Bebop and Hard Bop I would really appreciate it.

These are just some example songs that I really like;

Arabia Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers
Clutch I thought it was by The Seatbelts but it's actually performed by Herbie Hancock
Lazy Bird John Coltrane
Salt Peanuts Dizzy Gillespie
Summer Goddess Soil & "PIMP" Sessions (They don't classify as Bebop but they remind me of a modern Jazz Messengers)

tl;dr - I like Bebop/Hard Bop if you guys could give me some recommendations on some artists I would appreciate it.

Also if anyone feels like talking about it this can become a Bebop General Thread so that it's not solely a recommendation thread.
Quote by soulflyV
Prepare to have every orifice in your body occupied by a dwarf.
Last edited by Garret. at Jun 14, 2010,
I would recommend "Jazz at Massey Hall"; you've got some of the greatest bebop artists ever on there (Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespie, Bud Powell, Max Roach and Charles Mingus).

Parker plays on a plastic sax on there because he had financial problems and had to sell his saxophone... However, it was one of their best concerts ever, Parker and Dizzy both play really awesome.
Definitely check out more early Art Blakey & Coltrane, both of them went into more modally based stuff in the mid to late 60s, but their earlier recordings are probably exactly what you're looking for.
In terms of suggestions for other artists to check out and albums by them, I'd check out guys like:
Lee Morgan (The Sidewinder, Cornbread)
Kenny Dorham (Whistle Stop, Una Mas)
Clifford Brown (Memorial Album)
Hank Mobley (Soul Station, Roll Call)
Johnny Griffin (Introducing, A Blowing Session <-- must hear!!)
Sonny Clark (Cool Struttin', Leapin' & Lopin')

Also if you're interested in the hard-bop that has a kinda soul-jazz approach, I'd suggest checking out guys like...
Horace Silver (Song For My Father, Blowin' the Blues Away)
Cannonball Adderley (Mercy Mercy Mercy, Somethin' Else <-- another must hear)
Stanley Turrentine (The Spoiler, Hustlin')
Jimmy Smith (Home Cookin', Back at the Chicken Shack)

Check out Wayne Shorter too as you said, although the music he recorded as a leader isn't really bop orientated, it's very modal and can get pretty outside at times. Nevertheless check it out, it's great music.

Quote by Galvanise69
Salt Peanuts is a classic bebop song

Other Bebop songs you might want to look into:

*songs*

And if you like Bebop, I recommend Ornette Coleman's music. Like bebop, but in a much more free sense.

Anyhow, one of my favorite bebop recordings is this

I know speed isn't everything, but the head being played that fast does just add an extra intensity.

A bebop thread would be cool, I don't know if ther isn't already a bebop thread on here, but if there is, it's probably dead.

I did a search prior to creating this thread and the only other threads I found about Bebop were either about Cowboy Bebop or guitar related, so I don't think this has been done before, which is kind of surprising. I though Bebop would be pretty popular and have a pretty broad appeal.

Anyways, thanks very much for the songs, I've heard a lot about Charlie Parker but never known where to start so that helps a bunch, I especially liked the Dizzy Gillespie song though, very fast and very good (I really love fast songs). I'll look into Ornette Coleman as well.

I used to listen to a lot of Scott LaFaro as part of Bill Evans Trio, I play bass so I'm always very impressed listening to him.

Quote by pangui
Definitely check out more early Art Blakey & Coltrane, both of them went into more modally based stuff in the mid to late 60s, but their earlier recordings are probably exactly what you're looking for.
In terms of suggestions for other artists to check out and albums by them, I'd check out guys like:

*Artists*

Check out Wayne Shorter too as you said, although the music he recorded as a leader isn't really bop orientated, it's very modal and can get pretty outside at times. Nevertheless check it out, it's great music.

I have a bunch of stuff by Art Blakey, The Big Beat, Caravan, The Freedom Rider, Moanin', Mosaic and A Night in Tunisia. I think they're all from between 1957 - 1962, and they're easily some of my favourite Jazz albums (not that I have many to choose from).

Thanks very much for the recommendations, pretty comprehensive. it's gonna take me a while to go through all of the Artists but I really appreciate it. I've already had The Sidewinder by Lee Morgan for a while and I've just started by checking out Horace Silver and was very impressed. Been listening to some of his songs from a Live album called Doin' the Thing and I'm really liking it.

Also, sorry if this is a dumb question but what do you mean when you say something is modal?
Quote by soulflyV
Quote by Garret.

Also, sorry if this is a dumb question but what do you mean when you say something is modal?

Using musical modes as opposed to chord progressions sorta. It stays on a couple of chords (Probably 1 or 2) for long periods of time. See "So What", which stays on Dm for 16 bars, goes to Ebm for 8, and back to Dm for 8. John Coltrane (who plays sax on it) used the same chords for his song "Impressions".
wes montgomery - smokin' at the half note
charles mingus - blues and roots, cornell 1964 w/ dolphy
wayne shorter - speak no evil
grant green - complete quartets with sonny clark, green street, matador
herbie hancock - maiden voyage
joe pass - northsea nights
jim hall - concierto
john coltrane - giant steps, my favorite things, blue train
miles davis - steamin, cookin, all the other albums in that series, at the peacock alley
dexter gordon - go
dave brubeck - take five, live at carnegie hall

bill evans, chet baker, duke, dave holland, mccoy tyner, chris potter, joe henderson, oscar peterson, wynton kelley

that should keep you busy for a while
Thanks for all the suggestions again, So far I've been enjoying albums by Kenny Dorham, Johnny Griffin, Horace Silver, Bud Powell, Dexter Gordon and I'll keep looking into the artists I haven't gotten around to yet.

I've also got a live album by The Mingus Big Band, I don't know if anyone here knows of them, they play big band cover versions of Charles Mingus songs, I've been really impressed by them ever since listening to this song by them.

I also found an interesting page about recommended Hard Bop albums on allmusic if anyone is interested
Quote by soulflyV
Quote by Garret.

I've also got a live album by The Mingus Big Band, I don't know if anyone here knows of them, they play big band cover versions of Charles Mingus songs, I've been really impressed by them ever since listening to this song by them.

the mingus big band is awesome
but the original version of moanin' is untouchable imo
art tatum....took the piano in a new jazz direction...then oscar peterson took it to another planet....

check them as they influenced many players