as of late i have been set on getting a peavy 6505 112 combo amp. But then i have started hearing about the bugera 6260 style amps and idk what would be better. can anyone give me the lowdown on both amps. i have heard the bugera has better cleans but does this come with a decrease in distortion quality? or might i rephrase it raw gain i can have on tap to make it as br00talz as possible?

i play alot of white chapel, suicide silence-esque type music, but then theres metallica, avenged sevenfold, and the theres in between wiith august burns red and then maybe some hendrix or clapton? but very rarely. but i want a tube amp that has teh br00talz but can clean up and be alright for when im in a chill jazzy riff type mood.

the clean dont have to be like OH MY GOD jesus just plucked a harp!!
but i also dont want any nasty ass ugly sounding "clean" sound to regurgitate from my amp.

can someone help me define the correct amp from these two? or is there something better i just havent seen yet.

as a final note im going for a tube combo amp in between 500 and 700 dollars to do small to medium sized gigs and some outdoor venues.

please and thankyou!!!
A few players actually prefer the 6260 over the 5150/6505, but remember, it's just an imitator. Why not get the original? I hear Bugeras have reliability problems as well...

I also hear the 5150 II/6505+ has a better clean channel than their original counterparts, but I've never played either of them
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
heard anything about the 6505+112 combo amp? the only thing i have heard that isnt great is the stock speaker. but i can replace it with a celestion i believe... hopefull for not a ton...
bugera have had issues in the past with their first run of amps from their original production, but thats LONG gone. they're just as reliable as any other brand now.

now, as for sound. i much prefer the bugera to the peavey. far superior cleans, and the distortion is a lot better in my opinion. it has more usable gain, sounds clearer and much less muddy. it has more bottom end too somehow and still retains that clarity. the 6505+ 112 has a very poor speaker and from what i've heard from a buddy of mine that works at a local shop, quite a few come back for repairs and broken/faulty components. remember, both amps are chinese made (meaning not original american made peavey like one would think)

take it from somebody that has used the 5150, 6505, 6262 and various other amps gigging for several years almost nightly, buy the 6262. you will not be disappointed. its a much better amp overall.
does it run at about the same price? and do you think it will fit all the tones im looking for? i need it mainly for the metal distortion but i dont play all breakdown stuff. my music is mainly riffs and i dont want the notes becoming blurred together.
the bugera is quite versatile actually. but yes, it'll do more than what you're after. i played in a hard rock band, a death metal band, and various other forms of similar genres among the two. we gigged almost nightly and like i said, the bugera especially does it all. the peavey was good for distortion and straight up metal, but really wasn't good for much else.

the peavey is kind of muddy, and i found even my playing was sort of slurred together and not coming off as good as it could have been. the bugera was better for being clearer. i know i sound like a fan boy, but i just have a lot of experience with this amp.

and i believe they're about the same price.
whoa.... for only like 50 dollars more than the peavy. the bugera comes with another speaker and double the wattage.....(duh) but damn.. thats awesome... its only like 650 where i live... does anyone highly suggest this amp? im liking it alot right now....
i think u single handedly helped me decide. the only downer is they dont have that amp a guitar center. so i will find somewhere else. but i really think im going with bugera 6262-212 amp. it looks amazing and it has 2 channels and comes with the footswitch so they dont suck more money from me. i really like that amp. of course i will try to find one and play it first hand but i think thats what i want.
I played both the 6505 and the 6262 when i was making my decision. I preferred the 6262, it's tone is more "deep" i would say. Darker somehow? hard to put my finger on it. It's cleans are alot better IMHO, but i'm not a cleans kinda guy, so what do i know? lol

It's got maor gainzzzz then you will need, and if you do need more, a OD will accomodate you. It would nail all those bands you listed. I freaking LOVE mine, and got it for $500 brand new out the door (the 212 combo). here's a Video i made with it, it's not extreme death metal, but there's a little gain in there:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_Ls5swHxyw
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Quote by JagerSlushy
A few players actually prefer the 6260 over the 5150/6505, but remember, it's just an imitator. Why not get the original?
You make it sound like imitation is bad. If it the imitator sounds better, why get the original?
I hear Bugeras have reliability problems as well...

Just the crappy tubes. And it's not like the made in China Peaveys are perfectly reliable either.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
how much would it cost to replace the tubes? also im a complete n00b at tube amps sooo.... i kno u have to let it warm up and cool down in the "standby" type switch before and after u play it but... what is all this nonsence about "biasing the tubes" and stuff like that..... help? also what tube would be great to put in the 6262 for teh br00talz ect.
See the gear sticky for biasing and amp advice. As for tubes, people seem to like JJs a lot.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

before you go thinking about replacing tubes, try the amp, buy one you like, and play around with the EQ for a month or so. if you still think it can get better from there and you feel like you're lacking something, then replace them. it will make a sound difference when you replace them, but from all the rentals i've had with that amp (rented almost enough times to have purchased it actually!! and i get HUGE discounts because i rent so frequently too), i didn't think it was necessary to jump on it immediately. leave the stock in a while, learn the amp, play around with settings for a good while and if you're happy, why bother paying and extra couple hundred on new tubes? if you arent happy, then do your research about replacing them.
mmk. thankyou! and can someone gimme the link to the thread that will help teach me more about tube amps and whatnot?
i've never ****ed with the tubes in mine, and i'm very happy with it, lol
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Quote by JagerSlushy
A few players actually prefer the 6260 over the 5150/6505, but remember, it's just an imitator. Why not get the original?

That's rather ironic since the 5150 was an attempt to quasi-clone the Soldano SLO for EVH.

I hear Bugeras have reliability problems as well...

This is the primary reason not to get a Bugera. Who cares which one sounds better when one of the options is a Chinese-made amp designed to minimize cost at the price of reliability?
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
Last edited by Even Bigger D at Jun 15, 2010,
never had a problem with mine *shruggs*

Isn't the 6505+ 112 made in china aswell?
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Quote by Gundamnitpete
never had a problem with mine *shruggs*

Isn't the 6505+ 112 made in china aswell?

It may be now. The old 5150s has a reputation as a gigable amp though.

The guitar amp business has turned into a race to the bottom quality-wise. Which is unfortunate IMO.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

Quote by Even Bigger D
This is the primary reason not to get a Bugera. Who cares which one sounds better when one of the options is a Chinese-made amp designed to minimize cost at the price of reliability?

Because it's perfectly reliable once you swap out the tubes, and because the alternative is also a "Chinese-made amp designed to minimize cost at the price of reliability".

The 6505+ 112 combo is Peavey's budget offering. They still make their higher quality "MIA" stuff.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

I like the shitty stock Peavey speakers. Not because it's shitty, but because you wont spend more on a cab with greenbacks when you want v30 or g12k100, etc.Kind of like Ibanez and their cheap stock pups really, leaves you open to throw whatever you want in there.

I don't know how much I like 1x12, it just gets so much more full with two. I would have to recommend the 2x12 5150 (used probably). The cleans on the 5150/6505 arent THAT bad, just not uber-sparkley or whatever. Good luck!
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by Kanthras
Because it's perfectly reliable once you swap out the tubes, and because the alternative is also a "Chinese-made amp designed to minimize cost at the price of reliability".

I'm not too worried about tube problems - they're a wear item. BUt I have a hard time imagining that an amp with plastic jacks, board mounted pots, jacks and sockets, and numerous ribbon cables and other tiny solder joints is in fact "perfectly reliable". Third world transformers aren't exactly going to help either. Those "features" have proven to be the cause of electrical gremlins time and again.

The old 5150s were at least decent although they had some of the same issues. I can't speak to the newer ones.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

Last edited by Even Bigger D at Jun 15, 2010,
Quote by Even Bigger D
I'm not too worried about tube problems - they're a wear item. BUt I have a hard time imagining that an amp with plastic jacks, board mounted pots, jacks and sockets, and numerous ribbon cables and other tiny solder joints is in fact "perfectly reliable". Third world transformers aren't exactly going to help either. Those "features" have proven to be the cause of electrical gremlins time and again.

The old 5150s were at least decent although they had some of the same issues. I can't speak to the newer ones.

It does depend on how you treat your amp. I am very careful with mine and so far it has not shown any signs of decay. If you tend to throw your amp around and do a lot of gigging, then I admit saying it is "perfectly reliable" would be incorrect.

On a side note, what's wrong with the transformers, exactly? You're the first I've heard to criticise them. Damn things are huge.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
I like the shitty stock Peavey speakers. Not because it's shitty, but because you wont spend more on a cab with greenbacks when you want v30 or g12k100, etc.Kind of like Ibanez and their cheap stock pups really, leaves you open to throw whatever you want in there.

You make it sound like having your combo come with shitty speakers is a good thing. Have you ever thought about trying politics?
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Last edited by Kanthras at Jun 15, 2010,
nice to see your having a convo and i do find it interesting but i have decided im gunna go with a 212 bugera. but now there is a huge delima....(sp?)

i have discovered the 333 combo amp as well.

any regards as to which is better?
the 6262 or the 333.
they both cost the same and the 333 has a dampener. idk wtf that does but i watched a video on youtube playing both amps back to back same setting same song and the 333 seemed to have more clarity?? maybe it was video quality but i really need help now.

im still thinking the 6262 but now there is an little seedling wondering about the 333...
6262 is a 5150 type amp, very raw and br00tlz. 333 is based on the Peavey XXX. A different flavor of br00tlz and is a bit more versatile. Really though, it depends on your tonal tastes.

I am of course a bit biased towards the 333, considering I own one..
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Quote by Kanthras
It does depend on how you treat your amp. I am very careful with mine and so far it has not shown any signs of decay. If you tend to throw your amp around and do a lot of gigging, then I admit saying it is "perfectly reliable" would be incorrect.

I think that's probably the difference in our view - I know at some point my amp is going to get manhandled during load in/out, and that there's only so much a shock case can do to protect it. So I buy accordingly.

As a funny aside, one time I had a Bogner dropped from about 10 feet onto pavement. It was in a shock mount case/rack, but the drop was so hard it broke the chassis loose from the head cabined by pulling the screws THROUGH the metal plate and grommets they attached to. The casualties were the tubes, the power cord mount, a couple of knobs and the fuse holders, plus it bent the mounting tabs on the transformers. There was NO electrical damage, and I played the gig with it once I fixed the power chord and fuse holders. THAT is reliable.

On a side note, what's wrong with the transformers, exactly? You're the first I've heard to criticise them. Damn things are huge.

I've heard of heating problems. Could be a myth though.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

ok which one do you think could handle white chapel br00talz better? im just at a junction and i have no idea.....

EDIT: i mean br00talz in comparison to white chapels.
Last edited by kiaba94 at Jun 15, 2010,
i'd say the 333XL is a bit more vertsitile, and the 6262 is a bit more gainy. Both have more than enough gain as it is.

If your gonna get a 333, get the XL. it's got a Mid boost that will help with your metal tone.

it comes down to personal preferance really. if you want that 5150/6505 type tone, the 6262 will do it. If you want the shreddy type of JSX/XXX tone the 333XL will do it.

Keep in mind these are NOT those peavey amps, they DO have thier own distinct tone, so you will have to play them to choose.
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Quote by kiaba94
ok which one do you think could handle white chapel br00talz better? im just at a junction and i have no idea.....

6262, 5150 type amps are typical for anything -core.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Quote by kiaba94

EDIT: i mean br00talz in comparison to white chapels.

since they use 5150's...i'd say the 6262, if thats the tone you want.
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
im aware of this but i lol'd at the whole mid boost thing. the mids are scooped to like 1 or 2 when i set up to play my metal. sooo.... but i guesssss 6262? im really gunna have to find somewhere to play them side by side.......... or at least hear them in person side by side....
thank you for helping me decide about that.... now i still have to go try out the 6262 somewheres..... hmmmmmmmmmm..... but no longer a problem as far as 333 orrrr 6262. i dont think. it will ultimately be what i like better when i go to buy it...
Quote by Even Bigger D
I think that's probably the difference in our view - I know at some point my amp is going to get manhandled during load in/out, and that there's only so much a shock case can do to protect it. So I buy accordingly.

As a funny aside, one time I had a Bogner dropped from about 10 feet onto pavement. It was in a shock mount case/rack, but the drop was so hard it broke the chassis loose from the head cabined by pulling the screws THROUGH the metal plate and grommets they attached to. The casualties were the tubes, the power cord mount, a couple of knobs and the fuse holders, plus it bent the mounting tabs on the transformers. There was NO electrical damage, and I played the gig with it once I fixed the power chord and fuse holders. THAT is reliable.
Yeah, it's surprising what punishment a PCB can take. IIRC, Bogner use military grade PCBs and I doubt the Bugeras can match that. But I'm not sure a similar drop would take a Booger out of commission. They're not exactly made out of matchsticks, either.

I guess there's only one way to find out, though.. I'll ask in the Bugera thread if anyone is willing to take one for the team.
I've heard of heating problems. Could be a myth though.

I've never heard of such problems. I think what you might be recalling is the transformer clip issue where it used to arc and burn up. It was a problem with the early production runs and has since been fixed.
Quote by kiaba94
im aware of this but i lol'd at the whole mid boost thing. the mids are scooped to like 1 or 2 when i set up to play my metal. sooo.... but i guesssss 6262? im really gunna have to find somewhere to play them side by side.......... or at least hear them in person side by side....

Now, I'm not a metalcore connoiseur, but I'm pretty sure metalcore tones (and metal for that matter) are generally not mid-scooped. In fact, 5150 type amps are middy as hell.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Last edited by Kanthras at Jun 15, 2010,
hmmm. good to know. but..... i generally play mids scooped... im gunna have to try it out i guess.... hmmmmmmmm...... damn.. this distresses me...
Quote by Kanthras
Yeah, it's surprising what punishment a PCB can take. IIRC, Bogner use military grade PCBs and I doubt the Bugeras can match that. But I'm not sure a similar drop would take a Booger out of commission. They're not exactly made out of matchsticks, either.

I guess there's only one way to find out, though.. I'll ask in the Bugera thread if anyone is willing to take one for the team.

I wouldn't suggest anyone trying it. All those itty bitty little solder joints on the board mounted pots and jacks would crack. You'd have to go through and reflow every solder joint in the amp to get it working again.

The trick to Bogner and Soldano reliability is not so much that they use tough PCBs, although that helps. Mostly is's that they use big solder joints, and design the amp so that there should never be any force applied to a solder joint.

I've never heard of such problems. I think what you might be recalling is the transformer clip issue where it used to arc and burn up. It was a problem with the early production runs and has since been fixed.

Probably. "Transformer clip" could easily turn into "transformer" somewhere in the grape vine.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

Quote by Even Bigger D
I wouldn't suggest anyone trying it. All those itty bitty little solder joints on the board mounted pots and jacks would crack. You'd have to go through and reflow every solder joint in the amp to get it working again.

The trick to Bogner and Soldano reliability is not so much that they use tough PCBs, although that helps. Mostly is's that they use big solder joints, and design the amp so that there should never be any force applied to a solder joint.

Interesting. I know that you should never have a solder joint under stress because it will deteriorate over time. A single bump though, I would think a joint could take it fairly well.

Someone definitely needs to drop a Bugera sometime, in the name of science.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Quote by kiaba94
not it.........

Not it.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

lol. well. now i need to get about 700 dollars... that makes my goal at 1200 dollars i need to make this summer.......
Quote by kiaba94
hmmm. good to know. but..... i generally play mids scooped... im gunna have to try it out i guess.... hmmmmmmmm...... damn.. this distresses me...

hm... if you going scooped, the 333xl might be better. i used to play scooped, but since i got my 6262, i'm alllll mids
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps: