When I turn my amp up my f holes make a humming sound? I know its the f holes because I can feel it vibrating or air sucking in or something. Would a noise supressor/gate fix this?
That's just what happens when you play a semi-hollow bodied guitar at high volumes or with high gain. A noise gate would probably ease it slightly, I doubt it would completly eliminate it though.

Try sitting/standing a bit further away from the amp.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
The qotsa use semi hollow, and play really loud, I read they put foam in their f holes. Could that help the problem at all? And are there specific brands of foam for this?
Putting foam in your f-holes would work, it'll probably make you sound slightly less acoustic though.

QOTSA do indeed use semi-hollow guitars, almost exclusively in recent times actually. Theyre not a stupidly high-gain band, though some of their stuff gets pretty heavy and loud, but do remember that they play on big stages where they can stand pretty far away from the amps.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
What you ideally want is high density foam. Pretty much anything will work, just experiment.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
learn to mute your strings better. playing a semi hollow is a privilege for the skillful not a right.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Quote by AcousticMirror
learn to mute your strings better. playing a semi hollow is a privilege for the skillful not a right.

My technique isn't the problem. -.- The problem is humming from the f holes humming/vibrating. If this was about my technique it wouldn't have been in the gear section. Has nothing to do with muting.
if it was a probs with your guitar you'd hear it at all volumes. Is it only happening during high gain or high volumes? what kind of guitar is it.

It's coming out of your guitar? and not out of the amp speakers?

Quote by AcousticMirror
It's coming out of your guitar? and not out of the amp speakers?

It's just a loud drone feedback you get with hollow guitars, you feel it resonate from the holes. I got a boss noise gate and it fixed the feedback problem with it.

Also it's nothing to do with technique, hollow guitars feedback much more than solid guitars , you can feel the air vibrating in the low mids when they feedback like that if you play loud enough
Last edited by Zoot Allures at Jun 15, 2010,
Quote by Zoot Allures
It's just a loud drone feedback you get with hollow guitars, you feel it resonate from the holes. I got a boss noise gate and it fixed the feedback problem with it.

Also it's nothing to do with technique, hollow guitars feedback much more than solid guitars , you can feel the air vibrating in the low mids when they feedback like that if you play loud enough

i have never felt this. gonna try and make it happen.

it shouldn't really be that bad if your pups are waxed potted properly though? Gonna wait till the neighbors are off to work then imma test. Is there a difference in the feedback between normal loud and dimed gain loud?

Quote by AcousticMirror
i have never felt this. gonna try and make it happen.

It's that low mids feedback that happens through the holes, turn up really loud with a bassy amp setting, it's more to do with that than anything i found. You can feel air moving around the f holes, it's basically just the sound resonating with the guitar on some notes, sometimes if you have an acoustic guitar in front of an amp, you can play a note and then the same string on the acoustic will start to vibrate, it's similar kinds of resonence.

edit ^ :I only get this happening if i use my big muff and have a very bassy setting on my eqs and a very loud amp. I have a full hollowbody not a semi hollowbody though.
Last edited by Zoot Allures at Jun 15, 2010,