I have been using a book of exercises titled Ultimate Guitar Workout to improve my fretting hand coordination. It has numerous exercises where you play sequences on each string such as:

string sequence
6 1234
5 1324
4 1234
3 1324
2 1234
1 1324

All of it makes sense and I am actually getting a lot more accurate in my fingerings but there is one fingering that I cannot figure out how to do. It is 1 - 3 - 5. If I play the 1st fret with finger 1 and the 3rd fret with finger 3, the little finger (pinky) can't quite make it to the 5th fret. Am I missing something here or am I doing something wrong? I have tried to find a video of someone doing this exercise on Youtube but have not had any luck yet. I would appreciate anyones guidance with this exercise.

Thank You
cant you move your hand a bit?

like, roll your rist so that you pinky can hit the 5, and there is no finger on the 1.

then roll back to reverse it?

hahah, make sene?
Is bad ass one or two words?
So you're basically trying to do like the chromatic exercises (1234) on every string only 135 instead of 1234?

What I would do is play the 1st fret with my index finger, the 3rd fret with my middle finger, and the 5th fret with the little (pinky) finger.

You can do it index-ring-pinky too, but I find it easier to do index-middle-pinky for those kind of things because I find that I can make a bigger stretch between my index and middle than with my ring and pinky.
first try to aim for something smaller dude like first string 1-2-4-5 and on and on. u can also play higher up the fret board around 8-9-10-12 that is closer together than just doing it on the bottom. btw dont strain yourself it will come with time and patience.
Quote by ibz120
So you're basically trying to do like the chromatic exercises (1234) on every string only 135 instead of 1234?

What I would do is play the 1st fret with my index finger, the 3rd fret with my middle finger, and the 5th fret with the little (pinky) finger.

You can do it index-ring-pinky too, but I find it easier to do index-middle-pinky for those kind of things because I find that I can make a bigger stretch between my index and middle than with my ring and pinky.

ibz120:

Thanks for the help. Doing it that way makes sense now that you say it. I will start doing it that way and I think I will also try going a little higher up the fretboard like rocker222 suggested. It is really surprising just how much my accuracy has improved from doing these exercises.
Like others have said, try it with index-middle-pinky. You just need to stretch out your hands. It will come with time. That will be easy soon enough.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.