I've been looking around for a good performance amp and have found myself torn between the Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier and Marshall Plexi. Regardless of whichever one I may decide to purchase, I was thinking about buying a separate cab both in an attempt to save some cash and because I just like mixing things up.

My questions are:
1. If I were to buy the head and a less expensive cab, will i be wasting the quality of the head? (I was thinking about getting better speakers later).

2. I've heard a lot about various owners modifying their Plexis. One in particular has his "Billie Joe" modified. What exactly is that?

3. To anyone that owns a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier and/or a Marshall Plexi: How satisfied are you with it after owning it for howerver long & are there any problems or things I should know.
Quote by Nomack
Next hendrix is like a a sidesplitting triumph of slapstick and scatology, a runaway moneymaker and budding franchise, the worst thing to happen to Kazakhstan since the Mongol hordes, and, a communist.

This is my sig!
They're both very, very different amps. To get any kind of gain out of an unmodded Marshall Plexi you have to turn it up, and it gets loud before it gets gainy. The Dual Rectifier is a br00t4l m3t4lz amp, whereas the Plexi is more for blues, classic/hard rock and punk. The Dual Rec is modern; the Plexi is vintage. The Dual Rec has two channels; the Plexi has one.

What specifically do you like about each? What style of music do you play?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I play a bit of everything really, mostly punk, ska, hardcore punk, blues& rock if i had to be specific.

I've heard a ton of great things about and from modified plexis which aroused my interest in it.

I recognize the two have little in common, but i enjoy the personalities of both.
Quote by Nomack
Next hendrix is like a a sidesplitting triumph of slapstick and scatology, a runaway moneymaker and budding franchise, the worst thing to happen to Kazakhstan since the Mongol hordes, and, a communist.

This is my sig!
Those are both spectacular amplifiers. If you go with the Marshall SLP, you will almost certainly need to get a power attenuator to get the most out of the amp. I don't think you need to modify a SLP to get great sounds out of it. It does that all by itself. You might want to look at Marshall's 1987X, which is the 50-watt version of the SLP:

http://www.marshallamps.com/product.asp?productCode=1987X

It has tone to die for and will sing at lesser volumes than the 100-watt version, but if you crank the two side by side, the 100-watt model is only three decibels louder.

You can't go wrong with either amp. And don't go cheap on the cabinet. The cabinet is as important to your tone as is the amplifier. Both the Rectifier and the SLP deserve a fine cabinet.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
You won't be able to get the most out of the Plexi without running it loud.

But yes, modded Plexis have yielded some of the greatest tones known to man (Slash, Jimmy Page, a ton of bands in the '70s) so have bone stock ones (Eddie Van Halen, Jimi Hendrix, Clapton) I wouldn't recommend buying a Plexi reissue from Marshall, though - they use incorrect parts and are generally not worth it - instead, look at companies like Metropoulos, Ceriatone and Splawn. Keep in mind, Metropoulos is the most expensive but is the most accurate reproduction of the Plexi.

As far as mods goes, the 'Billie Joe' or 'Dookie' mod just seems to be a mod for more gain. I'd also check out David Bray, he's supposed to do some pretty fantastic modding work.

The Dual Rectifier is more of a metal amp than rock, but it can do both pretty well. Check out the older two channel version; they are said to sound alot better than the 3-channel versions, although the latest 3-channel Rectifiers are supposed to sound better than the old 3-channels.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
+1 for David Bray. I played a Type 1 modded Metro kit and it sounded killer. One of the best MVs I've ever heard as well. The mod's expensive as hell though for not adding versatility like Friedman does.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Thanks for the help
Quote by Nomack

This is my sig!
You cannot even talk about these two in the same sentence... the Marshall Plexi is one of the great amps of music history!
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Quote by seemeel
You cannot even talk about these two in the same sentence... the Marshall Plexi is one of the great amps of music history!

And so is the Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier, is has achieved just as much fame as the Marshall Plexi, but you can't compare the sounds to each other. For what I play, however, I would prefer a dual recto... for what my friend plays, he would be better suited to a Plexi.

This sig is colored just to annoy the UG classic users.

Trying to think of witty things to put in my sig. Message if you have ideas.
Quote by seemeel

were you alive at all during the late 80s and 90s?
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
the plexi need to be cranked to get the tone its famous for.
maybe look for a JCM 800 with master volume?
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
yeah, as everyone's been saying they're completely different, if you're torn between them you're not so much torn between two different amps as torn between two completely different styles of amps (including all the other similar amps in each style- if you can't decide if you want a plexi or a recto, how can you decide if you might not prefer a soldano to the mesa, etc.?).

time to try some amps, i think. or at very least start hitting up youtube to at least get a little bit of an idea of the differences.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by holycow
the plexi need to be cranked to get the tone its famous for.
maybe look for a JCM 800 with master volume?

No master volume will get you a plexi sound at lower volumes, Plexi tones are achieved with the volume knob at like 7 with the EL34s rocking out.

Mesa Dual Recto and Plexi, i mean it's like comparing watermelons to icecream trucks

plexi with near max gain:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tESqDOMScEw

i'm not even going to tell you how much gain the recto can do...
Last edited by stykerwolf at Jun 15, 2010,
Quote by stykerwolf
No master volume will get you a plexi sound at lower volumes, Plexi tones are achieved with the volume knob at like 7 with the EL34s rocking out.

Mesa Dual Recto and Plexi, i mean it's like comparing watermelons to icecream trucks

plexi with near max gain:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tESqDOMScEw

i'm not even going to tell you how much gain the recto can do...

not as much as a rivera ktre that's for sure.
lolbomb.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Dave_MC pretty much hit the hammer on the head with the nail... and succeeded.

This sig is colored just to annoy the UG classic users.

Trying to think of witty things to put in my sig. Message if you have ideas.
Comparing a Dual Recto and a Plexi is like comparing a sports car and a construction truck.
Quote by bemiswins
if someone flames you on the internet for music you like, they fail.

Here's my YouTube if anyone wants to see some of my videos.
Quote by pokeatthedevil
Dave_MC pretty much hit the hammer on the head with the nail... and succeeded.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?