so i've been playing guitar for about 4 years or so, give or take some, i play roughly, 6-10 hours a week (I'm pretty bust during school) and more like 10-15 per week during summer

based on this i know somethings i should be able to do, and things i should be proficient in

for example, i play a lot of metal, so i'm fine with alt picking, bends, etc

but some things, say, combining alt picking bends and scales in different modes, think the solo from bark at the moon, are difficult for me to put together easily

or really strange patterns, like imo, the bridge between solos on number of the beast, are just really weird for me

now not to brag, but guitar comes easy to me, i was able to learn almost all or Bloodmeat by protest the hero in about 3 hours total, no putting it all together and sounding great, still a work in progress, but isolated, i can play all the parts minus an error occasionally (like if i haven't warmed up enough)

this being said, will the ease of learning things like this, and just overall more skill come with even more time? and if so, what timeframe should i be looking at?

i don't mean from now till like, satriani status, i just mean until things become, more or less, simple, and more of a time and not a "skill" thing, if that makes sense

much obliged
Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey XXX-->Avatar 4X12(2 V30's 2 G12H30's)

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious
thanks for making an old dude feel like his advice is actually taken into consideration
It all depends on how you go at it and how you look at the music. If you look at it as a song and learn it as a song, then that's all it will be - a song. But if you take it and dissect it and say "Okay, this is based in Eb minor, this chord has a raised 4th, and here's an add9" or "This 16th triplet run uses this finger pattern, which is along the harmonic minor scale" it's easy. You don't necessarily need to learn where every note falls for every scale - for example, look at the minor scale, then look at melodic minor and harmonic minor. Almost identical, with the exception of one note. Eventually you start finding places they fall in, and it gets easier. It's how you look at it and how much time you put in - I've been playing just as long as you have and I'm blowing away most everyone who's my age because of this kind of knowledge.

A good place to start - find the intervals between chords in some of your favorite songs and figure out how they sound, or look at a favorite solo and find out the scales used in it. You'll eventually find that most songs and solos use very similar scalar runs or finger patterns.