I loved my peavey bandit 112 when I got it. So much variety and all that. But now that I listen to so many on youtube play tube amps and through so many pedals and stuff I just don't want to even play through my peavey anymore. It just doesn't sound good for me.

I play metal, neoclassical, thrash, hard rock, and things like that. Basically hard rock and anything beyond I don't use clean tone much. I don't have the money to go blow on a super expensive amp. At most I might be able to spend 300-400 on some kind of upgrade. I was thinking maybe a Digitech RP500 or a Boss GT-8. From vids I love the sound of the RP500 but just not sure.

I don't really gig, but I want a good sounding amp or something to make it sound good. I've tried a lot of tube amps and its just I can't get enough gain without throwing a distortion in front of most of them that are accessible to me and it seems pointless 2 get a tube amp and throw a distortion pedal in front. So what should I do?
i feel ya... same thing ive been wondering... tube amps are so expensive only ones in my price range are the peavey valveking 112 and the fender blues junior... and im sick of my solid state. and i dont like modeling amps.
Quote by ravenrage07
I loved my peavey bandit 112 when I got it. So much variety and all that. But now that I listen to so many on youtube play tube amps and through so many pedals and stuff I just don't want to even play through my peavey anymore. It just doesn't sound good for me.

I play metal, neoclassical, thrash, hard rock, and things like that. Basically hard rock and anything beyond I don't use clean tone much. I don't have the money to go blow on a super expensive amp. At most I might be able to spend 300-400 on some kind of upgrade. I was thinking maybe a Digitech RP500 or a Boss GT-8. From vids I love the sound of the RP500 but just not sure.

I don't really gig, but I want a good sounding amp or something to make it sound good. I've tried a lot of tube amps and its just I can't get enough gain without throwing a distortion in front of most of them that are accessible to me and it seems pointless 2 get a tube amp and throw a distortion pedal in front. So what should I do?

A lot of the cheaper amps will require a boost of some sort. It also depends on what type of music you're playing.

$300-$400, keep saving. If you're going to buy an amp, buy one that'll last you and do what you need and more.

Suggestions in your price range, however. Go used.

Marshall Class 5
Fender Champ
Fender Blues Junior
Peavey Valveking
Peavey Classic 30
Bugera

I'm also willing to bet a lot of your favorite players use a boost of some sort with their tube amp's gain to get the tone they use.
Get a ValveKing 112. Don't look back. A used one is easily obtainable in your price range. With the leftover money, get a used boost/overdrive if you don't have one. This is the best option (imo) given your price range, given that you're truly sick of your current setup and need something new right now.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
get a blackstar ht-5 and an overdrive pedal. use the overdrive pedal to boost ur distortion channel for more gain.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Well I want an amp that has enough power to gig if I need to. Plus I want to start recording. So basically im looking more for a MFX then a tube amp. Whats the best out of the RP500, RP1000, or GT-8 for a MFX that can record well, do good sound and have modeling so I dont need to use my amps distortion? I don't need the best tone on earth or something that a tube purist would need that costs $1000. Even if it sounds digital I want clarity, punch, and lots of gain.
The first thing I will say is to stay away from the digitech RP, i tried one out and it was definitely the most confusing pedal i've ever used. Some of the delays and the reverb were ok, but everything else sucked. The Boss GT series are pretty good multi's. Personally though with $300-400 you could get a decent tube amp if you wanted. Maybe try to find a cheap deal on a Peavey 5150, a Marshall JCM200? I actually just won an ebay auction on a Peavey VTM120 head(original 5150) for $200(+$50 for shipping).

Let me ask is you're current amp one of the newer peavey bandits or one of the oldones(transtube)? Either way a new amp would be a great upgrade, but I find that the old transtubes are pretty damn good for solid state. Great practice amps.

Also if you decide to just get effects instead, i'm personally not a huge fan of multi-effects. I'd say you're betting off just getting 3 or 4 pedals you really like and maybe get a pedalboard for them. Really define you're own tone with a series of pedals, instead of being limited to the preset one of a multieffects board. But then again, thats just preference, some people swear by those things.

The first thing I would do is go out and get a GOOD distortion pedal. Don't get any boss distortions, they're really not that good. Look at Ibanez TS9 or TS808, or maybe an EHX Big Muff.
Last edited by handbanana at Jun 15, 2010,
Quote by ravenrage07
Well I want an amp that has enough power to gig if I need to. Plus I want to start recording. So basically im looking more for a MFX then a tube amp. Whats the best out of the RP500, RP1000, or GT-8 for a MFX that can record well, do good sound and have modeling so I dont need to use my amps distortion? I don't need the best tone on earth or something that a tube purist would need that costs $1000. Even if it sounds digital I want clarity, punch, and lots of gain.

Why don't you get a Peavey Vypyr 75 or 100?

Or if your amp is loud enough already, you could check out a Boss ME-70. Those things are seriously sweet, unbeatable for the cash. I really regret not getting one and trying to build up my own pedalboard. It's cost me so much already, and I'm only halfway done building it.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by handbanana
The first thing I will say is to stay away from the digitech RP, i tried one out and it was definitely the most confusing pedal i've ever used. Some of the delays and the reverb were ok, but everything else sucked. The Boss GT series are pretty good multi's. Personally though with $300-400 you could get a decent tube amp if you wanted. Maybe try to find a cheap deal on a Peavey 5150, a Marshall JCM200? I actually just won an ebay auction on a Peavey VTM120 head(original 5150) for $200(+$50 for shipping).

Let me ask is you're current amp one of the newer peavey bandits or one of the oldones(transtube)? Either way a new amp would be a great upgrade, but I find that the old transtubes are pretty damn good for solid state. Great practice amps.

Also if you decide to just get effects instead, i'm personally not a huge fan of multi-effects. I'd say you're betting off just getting 3 or 4 pedals you really like and maybe get a pedalboard for them. Really define you're own tone with a series of pedals, instead of being limited to the preset one of a multieffects board. But then again, thats just preference, some people swear by those things.

The first thing I would do is go out and get a GOOD distortion pedal. Don't get any boss distortions, they're really not that good. Look at Ibanez TS9 or TS808, or maybe an EHX Big Muff.

The reason I dont like to get individual pedals is mainly because u gotta get the pedals, then the power supplies, then get outlets to hook em up, get a bunch of cables, then just its a nightmarish mess and im lazy haha.

I heard the RP500 and seems really really nice. It's just I dont want to get a tube amp because the lower priced ones just dont have that much gain on em.
Quote by ravenrage07
The reason I dont like to get individual pedals is mainly because u gotta get the pedals, then the power supplies, then get outlets to hook em up, get a bunch of cables, then just its a nightmarish mess and im lazy haha.

That is why they make products to make this not as much of a nightmare as it seems. Get yourself a pedalboard with a power source. You can make a daisy chain on the board and you're power source will easily power all of your pedals at once. It's really pretty simple tbh.
Quote by ravenrage07
I heard the RP500 and seems really really nice. It's just I dont want to get a tube amp because the lower priced ones just dont have that much gain on em.

That why I would suggest to buy used and not new. Used stuff usually goes for between 40-60% cheaper than the original price in most situations, basically doubling the list of amps you could look at. Go on craigslist and look around at whats in your area. Or check out ebay. Also guitarcenter posts all the used inventory they have online, and even if you find something at a far away guitarcenter, they will ship it to your local store for free.