Look for posters about shows going on, go to local music stores and inquire about any of the local happenings, make friends with people in the know, check out websites that post tour listings for bands you like and try to follow any of the locals who might open the show, and use this site:

http://www.last.fm/home

Pretty much every band to ever exist is on there.
pretty easy actually. i find mine a few ways:
1. talk to people, i am now friends with the dude in my city who runs all the local shows so im usually well informed for local gigs
2. you know those random posters and flyers you ignore in parking lots and on bulleten boards, well local acts tends to advertise with these so take a minute and see if there is an appealing band
3. find the local venue, if you know the venue then they usually have a schedule posted

also try and get to know your local bands as it may be helpful for getting your gigs in the future and plus conversation with musicians is always fun
Newspaper
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
Find a venue in your area for local bands and look for fliers. You could find fliers in headshops or around venues and various other places. good luck.
Quote by soundgarden19
Newspaper

Hah, really? I don't know many bands that take out newspaper ads.
Quote by emoboy027
Is fingering an emo chick that likes yoy and that has fallen in love with you is it wrong to you to finger her during lunch outside in front of everyone at the high school? would you not care or lol even wish it was you?

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Quote by nashawa
Hah, really? I don't know many bands that take out newspaper ads.

Usually in the living section the venue will post what show(s) will be playing that night.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
Oh, true enough. I was thinking more of bands taking out adspace.
Quote by emoboy027
Is fingering an emo chick that likes yoy and that has fallen in love with you is it wrong to you to finger her during lunch outside in front of everyone at the high school? would you not care or lol even wish it was you?

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
do you have any friends in other bands? that's a great way to find other locals like yourself. or if your band plays a show, there's bound to be other groups playing. say what's up.
bands are usually pretty cool. especially to other bands.
I don't know what it's like in your town but all the music venue's here have shows pretty much every other night. And they are like 6 bucks to get into.