A strange box came in while I was at school!

What a nice case!

... And an even nicer guitar!!

Shot by the sun...

Man Agile headstocks are so sexy!

Neck joint

Comparison shot...

...Another comparison shot

And now for the review:

Features
It's a lefty Agile Intrepid Standard Dual 828 Bloodburst. Ash body, maple bolt-on neck, ebony fingerboard with Agile Alpha & Beta pickups.

The neck may take little while to get accustomed to, but it is to be expected from an 8-string. If you're used to rounder (Schecter) necks like me, the Intrepid's neck shouldn't be too much of an obstacle. It is pretty flat and thin (although not as thin as an RG2228's) and I have no problem wrapping my hand around it. The frets are easily accessible all over the neck except for the upper frets on the F# and B strings. Unless you plan on doing super high 8-string sweeps, it should bother you at all.

Sound
My initial plan was to replace the pickups with blackouts but unfortunately, the routing won't accept them and I don't want to take the risk to carve the cavity myself.
I was quite surprised by the sound of the stock pickups, though. The neck pickup does great cleans and the bridge just roars on high gain settings! The tone is very organic and crunchy, something you wouldn't expect from stock pickups! I don't plan on changing them any soon, I really like the tone I get out of them. The only thing I would mention is that the high notes tend to sound louder than the low ones. If I want to keep the volume even I have to play a bit softer on the three high (plain) strings.

Action, fit & finish
The guitar is factory set with a very low action. I get fret buzz on the low F# string, but it doesn't bother me when I play through an amp. I find the factory strings a bit too light. The plain ones are ok, but the wound ones, especially the F# and B, are too flubby for me, but I'm used to heavy strings (I use a 52 for E-tuning on my 6). I've ordered a 10-59 set with a single 80 from Daddario, let's hope they work better for me.

According to the pictures on Rondo's website (and by other users), the finish should be a very dark red burst. The finish on this one is lighter with a tint of orange in it and it looks actually very good. I think I like it even more than the original finish! Oh and the truss rod cover has scratches on it but I don't care for such a minor detail.

Reliability & Durability
I will have to carry it around a little bit to answer that, but it seems pretty well built.

Overall I really like this instrument. It is my first Agile and its quality is far beyond my expectations, especially for the price I paid!
Jbab
Quote by '93
amazing...you sir deserve a lol stack

Last edited by jbab at Jun 15, 2010,
Your guitar seems to be the wrong way round...

I'd send it back to Agile complaining about the quality control or something..

HNGD!

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
oh sechs!

God that thing is a beauty! My agile 7 string is awesome! I freakin love this brand!
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Love the picture with the knife. HNGD
Epi Elitist LP Plus
Marshall Class 5
Vox AC30 CC2

"A person is a success if they get up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do."
good to see a nice lefty Agile E.R.G hopin to get a 7 string from em soon, xept that i just got anew guitar and a morpheus droptune.... so i can go to a standard without having to unlock my floyd's nut
Eh.
also how come I can't find Agile Basses on rondo's site? They only have SX and Brice.
Looks like a bass to me.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.

congrats on getting an 8 string! i absolutely love my intrepid and i too was surprised by the quality of the stock pickups. i was thinking of putting a Q tuner in the neck posish but actually i think im going to keep them the way they are. might buy some push pull pots and wire each pup for series/parallel.

when i first opened the box and looked at mine, i actually starting laughing out loud at the size, then i picked it up and started laughing again at the weight! but i like heavy guitars. these thing feel really solid. I've had mine for a few months and I'm as excited to have it now as I was when it first showed up at my house.

I kinda like the brighter almost orangish tint on your finish too! mine is suppost to be "charcoal" but its quite brown

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

Your guitar looks broken!

HNGD !
Join the 7 String Legion!

RG7420 with Dimarzio Crunchlab + Liquifire set
Peavey Vypyr 75 with Sanpera I
Digidesign Eleven Rack
Sennheiser HD280 headphones
Behringer FCB1010 with EurekaProm

Call me Eddy
hahah i think it looks ugly but thats just me.

it just dont look right
Quote by SYLrules88

congrats on getting an 8 string! i absolutely love my intrepid and i too was surprised by the quality of the stock pickups. i was thinking of putting a Q tuner in the neck posish but actually i think im going to keep them the way they are. might buy some push pull pots and wire each pup for series/parallel.

when i first opened the box and looked at mine, i actually starting laughing out loud at the size, then i picked it up and started laughing again at the weight! but i like heavy guitars. these thing feel really solid. I've had mine for a few months and I'm as excited to have it now as I was when it first showed up at my house.

I kinda like the brighter almost orangish tint on your finish too! mine is suppost to be "charcoal" but its quite brown

Thanks dude! I laughted out loud when I saw mine too haha. But I find it actually lighter than I expected. My Schecter ATX (all mahogany) is heavier than my Intrepid. I've also noticed that it's a bit headstock heavy so I have to hold the neck up when I'm not playing...
Jbab
Quote by '93

I would have never guessed an 8 string to be headstock heavy (sarcasm)

Happy NGD!!
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
how many fingers do you have?

srsly congrats on the new guitar, i lol'd at the knife pic too.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Good man! That's amazing. I'm dying for one of those, but they're such a hassle to get over here in the Netherlands, and they're pricier than in the US. Have fun with it!

Edit: About the difference in volume across strings, you've tried to change the pickup height, right?
Last edited by Y00p at Jun 15, 2010,
Left handed guitars cause a mind****, they just look... wrong. No offence, it's a nice guitar.

Ibanez K5
Warwick Rockbass Vampyre 4

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Quote by Y00p
Good man! That's amazing. I'm dying for one of those, but they're such a hassle to get over here in the Netherlands, and they're pricier than in the US. Have fun with it!

Edit: About the difference in volume across strings, you've tried to change the pickup height, right?

Yeah they're already leveled... I guess I could try to lower the treble side so that it almost sinks in the body, but I don't think it's the best idea. Maybe a compressor could help...
Jbab
Quote by '93

Last edited by jbab at Jun 15, 2010,
Quote by jbab
Yeah they're already leveled... I guess I could try to lower the treble side so that it almost sinks in the body, but I don't think it's the best idea. Maybe a compressor could help...
'leveled' isn't the goal. What you want is even sound output between all strings. Just adjust the pickups, as was already suggested, and your problem will go away.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Pretty Schecter and Happy New Agile Day
CALL ME JOHN

MARSHALL JCM 2000 Amp head/Cab
White Synyster Custom 1/100
Rest of my rig on my profile!

Don't acknowledge right, just dwell on...

...Wrong.

This spot in Hell...

...Is where I belong
Congrats. The Intrepids are awesome. I had one for a year or so and recently traded it off. I miss it a bit and probably will get another eventually. They play and sound great. I had the dual passive model as well and as a guy that changes pickups in pretty much every guitar I have ever bought from $2500 Caparisons and Soloists I was completely satisfied with those stock pickups. Kurt and Rondo really hit a homerun with those guitars.
ESP Stef B8 CS
.strandberg* Boden OS7
Suhr Modern Satin
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
Washburn N7
PRS SE245
LTD Alexi-600
Warmoth Fr00tcaster
Ibanez RG1XXV
Fender Strat
Jackson Dinky Rev
Agile AL-2500

Peavey 5150
Yamaha THR10x
Quote by ch0
'leveled' isn't the goal. What you want is even sound output between all strings. Just adjust the pickups, as was already suggested, and your problem will go away.

Yeah, exactly! Leveling your pickups should not be your goal, at all. There's a reason why they're adjustable, in the first place. Yeah, sound will be changed by raising or lowering the treble side, but that's a small price to pay, in order to achieve even output.

In terms of 'leveling', you don't want too much leveled on guitars. I once 'leveled' the saddles on my very first Squire (intonation wise) because I thought that's the way it's 'supposed' to look... Man, those three months after were hell to play, and I thought the guitar was broken, until me and my dad tried to set it up and it suddenly sounded loaaads better.